Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 12-24-2007, 02:17 PM   #1  
Im a work in progress!!

Default Need some help.... Lactose Intolerant!!!!

I just recently diagnosed myself from being lactose intolerant. Im not a doctor, but I am a nurse. And since the holidays being here, I cant get into my doctor for a few weeks. It started with me just being intolerant to things that contain a high percantage of dairy. Now I find myself to being more sensitive to every little bit of dairy I consume. Im not sure what I can and cant eat. And its becoming more and more painful, everytime I consume some thing Im not sure of. Is anyone here lactose intolerant, and can help me out a little bit. I never really did drink milk, I have tryed some Almond breeze and I could live with that. Its just the foods that Im having some real trouble with. At first I thought I could take the pain and consequences, but its becoming way to much. Any little bit of help, helps.

Thanks!!!
CountryGirl18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 02:50 PM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey CountryGirl,

I've moved your thread to Obstacles in hopes that more folks with your problem will see it.

I don't know what to tell you except that it may or may not be lactose intolerance. You need to see a doctor. In the meantime, try not to consume milk or milk products and see if your symptoms improve.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 02:57 PM   #3  
Meg

Hi Country Girl! Check out this thread for some good ideas on dealing with lactose intolerance: Oh No! I am lactose intolerant!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 03:02 PM   #4  
Im a work in progress!!

Jayell,
Thank you!! Youre correct, it may ,or not be, it could be IBS. But, I jut cut them out of my diet for a couple of days and I didnt have the problems I now face. When I put them back in the problems continued. Thats why I think that its lactose intolerant other IBS since the problems went away when I didnt consume dairy. The only problem is all I ate was fish and dark veggies because they dont contain lactose. But I get stuck there, and I dont have time to cook. Thats why I need some help with the foods I can digest properly.

Thank you!!

Last edited by CountryGirl18; 12-24-2007 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Mis-spelled.
CountryGirl18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 10:55 PM   #5  

Default Avoiing dairy products

I am lactose intolerant. Generally Asian foods do not contain dairy products (except Indian Food).

I can consume small portions of dairy without too much trouble, especially if I take lactaid to help with digestion. I also do not have as much trouble with goat's milk, goat or ewe's milk cheeses. Butter does not cause any trouble for me either.

I do however love cheese and try to find cheeses that do not cause as much problems. Hard old cheese is better for me than soft, unripened cheese. I love baked brie, but it does not like me at all. I can eat Parmesan without suffering.

Some people can eat yogurt when lactose intolerant, but I cannot.

If you are really sensitive, you will have to check all packages for dairy products. I do not eat many prepared foods, so that is not usually an issue for me.

I generally find I react within two hours of eating dairy products.

edited:

I just noticed your post about only eating fish and dark vegies. I have not heard of any meats, fruits or vegetables containing lactose. It is a milk sugar. You should be able to eat a variety of fruits and vegies, meats, nuts, beans etc.

Last edited by mgagnon; 12-24-2007 at 10:59 PM.
mgagnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 03:10 AM   #6  
Mango Empress

S/C/G: 275/check my ticker!/145

Height: 5'6"

I'm also lactose intolerant, tho i love dairy lol. I drink lactose free milk, and eat soy fruit yogurt and soy ice cream (as a special treat only!). my big downfall is cheese, i love it so much, but it doesn't love me! I dont know how it is in TX but in NY there are these lovely little lactade pills that you take with your first bite, and they let you eat dairy, i definitely miss them sense i've moved to Sweden! good luck to you!
MangoKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 04:31 AM   #7  

Hi-well I am allergic to Soy so I depend on Rice Milk=most groceries have it-Rice Dream ice cream-etc. In this day and age, and with so many in the same boat, it is much easier. Just go to a natural food store and ask. Once in a while I just take lactaid so I can cheat but my best bet is to stay away. I also have IBS. It takes time to adjust. Mima
Mima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 09:32 PM   #8  
Susan-Marie

S/C/G: 206/206/150

Height: 5'3&3/4"

Hi. I'm lactose intolerant as well. I was diagnosed with it by my OB in 1993 when I was pregnant with DD#1. I had it severly for a long time but by the time I got pregnant & had DD#3 it was better. I still can't drink white milk...I do drink a little chocolate but I have issues with that too. The way I was diagnosed was by elmination. My OB had me take everything out of my diet till I was only drinking milk. I was really sick for a few days. Then we stopped the milk and I put back everything else in my diet and was fine.

I cant take the pills for it. I just dont drink milk and eat a little cheese. I do eat Rice Dream ice cream....I like it. The lactaid milk is very sweet.

Susan-Marie
soozeebg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 01:15 AM   #9  
Jig, Don't Jog

S/C/G: 185.2/154.6/135

Height: 5'5"

Hi There!
I was going to post something asking about lactose intolerance, but I figured I'd just add to your post!!
I've been feeling rather ill every time I have a Lot of dairy, too-- I'm apparently good with cheeses, but ice cream, milk, and the "straight up" lactose's-- I just feel icky after I eat it (and for the rest of the day )

So it really is possible to have lactose intolerance thrust upon you as an adult???? That seems rather unfair!

As for suggestions: Soymilk, ricemilk, and the like are all really good if you get the flavored ones I've been really lucky to be exposed to those before having "issues". They do have a "thick water" texture to them, though, so if you're sensitive to textures, these might be hard to get used to!

Good to know we're not alone, eh?

~Kat

GOAL:
185.2/172.6/135(ish)
Mini GOAL:
185.2/172.6/166.6
10% by St. Patrick’s Day! I want to fit into my Dress!! Aiee!!!
weegreenlassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 02:23 PM   #10  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Many people in our family have both Intestinal Disorders and are Lactose Intolerant. I CAN eat old hard cheddar within moderation; Parmesan is OK; Cheddar Spread (1-2 tbl) is OK, as is butter; a small amount of ice cream (about 1/2 cup safely); yogurt OK (small containers), BUT drinking the milk bothers me the most (I even get conjested from it). I can drink the SKIM MILK POWDER MIX (with water), so I use that with my cereal a few times a week and for cooking instead of regular milk.

You may have to try different things; the pills work for some people, but not others but they are definitely worth a try. For me, it seems to be the kind of dairy I consume; and the amount of dairy products I eat that makes the difference. Good luck ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 01-31-2008 at 02:24 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 01:04 PM   #11  

I've been lactose intolerant for about 20 years. I also have IBS and Fibromyalgia. I've been able to turn my life around and I am beating all of these condtions. It just takes time and determination to figure out what you can and can not eat - and after your body has mellowed out a little, you might find you can add in more foods.

Start reading here at Steve Carper's Lactose Clearinghouse site. There's so much info there - you'll be amazed.

The basics:
(oops I can't post links, I'm too new to the forum. Drat!)
Google:
Steve Carper Lactose Clearing house
from his front page click "lactose basics" or "LI Basics"

He even has a page that lists approx lactose content of certain foods.
Google this statement:
Steve Carper The Really BIG List of Lactose Percentages

I find I can tolerate small amounts of lactose. I can eat aged cheeses (cheddar, swiss, monterey jack, parmesan, etc.) I can have lactose free milk. I can have home-made yogurt (fermented 24 hours to remove all lactose) but can not tolerate store bought yogurt (fermented only a few hours it still contains LOTS of lactose). I make my own home-made ice-milk and sherbet using lactose free milk. I can't stand Almond Milk or Soy Milk. I'm a dairy girl til the end!

You'll find your way.

The docs don't really have decent tests that do a better job than trial and error. See Carper's site about the difference between allergy and intolerance - your symptoms are the key.

You can have a reaction anywhere between 30 minutes after consumption and 3 days. However, most reactions should happen within 3-5 hours. It can take 3 days however to clear your system once it has been upset. So hang in there.
featherlitegal is offline   Reply With Quote