Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 10-29-2007, 06:08 AM   #1  

Default family can be the biggest obstacle

I found that when im trying to eat healthy and maintain or lose weight it can be a real struggle and frustrating when the hubby and son love to eat rubbish like fish n chips or pies n stuff any thoughts?

Last edited by arawagrl; 10-29-2007 at 06:09 AM.
arawagrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 08:06 AM   #2  
One Busy Mom!

S/C/G: 149/166/130

Height: 5' 4"

I go through the same thing.
My hubby works 7-3, and doesn't eat all day. Therefore, by dinner (5-ish) he is really hungry, but then around 10 he is hungry again. My thoughts is that our dinner is his lunch, and then at 10 he has a dinner
But at 10, he always offers me food... "you want one?" and of course sometimes I really do want to eat, just because it looks/smells good. But I'm really trying to say no. And sometimes when I saw "I don't want to eat just to eat, I'm really not hungry" then he'll say "yeah, me neither"....
Sometimes I just have to turn away, or eat something else. Luckily, the foods he snacks on are things I don't like.
I think every once in a while you should eat some of the fish n chips, and some pie... because if you don't, you will just crave it and then eat more. But eat it in moderation, and try to eat different "better" foods around your hubby and son.
Treighsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 08:36 PM   #3  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

My husband is supportive of my weightloss efforts, but he is thin and likes to eat things like potato chips and pumpkin pie. He used to eat cookies and cake a lot too; but doesn't now except on his birthday cuz I don't bake them anymore. I make him pumpkin pie a few times a year, saving some of the filling for no-crust pumpkin custard for myself (you just bake it in a lightly buttered glass dish).

This year was the first in many that I didn't have cake on my birthday; and I didn't really miss it; I had peaches and vanilla ice cream instead. We have dessert with Sunday dinners ~ my favorite is apple crisp (lite on the crisp). This week we had pudding (him chocolate; me lemon); one serving each.
I try to find healthier alternatives for our desserts, and that makes us both happy.

We eat fish of some kind 1-2 times a week, but you don't have to always have fries with it. We have fish & chips once a month, but I limit the fries (to about 10) or give them all to DH, and fill my plate up with veggies and salad instead; I also have plain or breaded fish, not battered.

Like TREIGHSIE suggests, try to make some healthier meals in between for all of you; take your favorite meals and just make them lighter. That's what I do; using leaner meats, adding more veggies, and watching the serving sizes. I also get DH to keep his snack foods in a cupboard in the TV room and not in the kitchen, which helps me a lot. Hope something here helps you a bit ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 10-29-2007 at 08:37 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 11:50 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 215/163/135

Height: 5'4"

One thing that helps me is a cut-off time for food.

It sounds silly, but simply saying "Oh, it's after 8pm. The kitchen is closed." works wonderfully for me. And even though my hubby and DD will sometimes have a snack after 8pm, if I tell myself the kitchen is closed, it completely removes the urge for me to eat!

It's is the craziest thing, but honestly, I find it works for me!

If it's too hard to simply pretend your kitchen is "closed", I find that brushing your teeth instead of snacking works too.
Erinyes74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 11:39 AM   #5  
Mabs

S/C/G: 285

Height: 5-3

Talking Family

Id have to agree about family. Its hard to resist temptation. I am lucky if I resist it once or twice but its really pushing it when its my favorite food lol. My parents house is really bad, and even though their not suppose to be eatings sweets either there are always tons of things in the house. My sister is always baking & shes a great cook so its hard to resist her sweet temptations. My husband is ok for the most part but there are days when he is trying to be sweet (I think) and brings me something choc. home or my favorite ice cream, which is a sweet thought but not when im dieting lol.
austinsauntmaymay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 01:15 PM   #6  

Ah, dear family. I do the grocery shopping and my husband and I both try to eat very healthy. Unfortunately, my married daughter and her husband and son live with us. They buy all kinds of crap and leave it around. I try very hard to avoid it, and I resent the temptation it poses!
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote