Old 06-26-2006, 03:18 PM   #1  
Brenda L

S/C/G: 288/283/115

Default Controlling Diabetes

Good Afternoon, I am trying to get some information on self controlling my diabetes. Very frustrated with Doctors who think they now our body better than we do. They don't want to take responsibility for wrong prescriptions, and their side affects.
Brenda L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 03:47 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 261/ticker/199

Hey Brenda,
Tell me a little about yourself? How long have you had diabetes? How old are you? What meds are you on? What side effects? What probs with the docs are having? I have Type 2 Diabetes for about 10 years. The best diet for it is knocking out all simple carbs. Forget any of the white stuff...flour, sugar, rice, potatoes, etc. That will help immensely. Increase fiber all you can. And endocrinologist once told me to eat beans with every meal!!! That didn't happen, but increasing fiber will help you stay in better control. Exercise helps and small, frequent meals. PM me and we can talk about it!
katiesmom710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 04:27 PM   #3  

Hi Brenda, It would help to have some information, as Katiesmom asked. I follow Sugarbusters, which is pretty much what Katiesmom described...no whites, whole grain, no sugars, high fiber.... and I think the most important factor is regular exercise. It does not have to be hard...just a 30 minute walk does wonders for your glucose levels. Consistency is the key here. You really have to get that exercise in daily, and it helps to test your glucose levels before and after, and before and two hours after meals to know how you are doing.

What diet do you use? What meds are you on? Are you close to your target range for blood glucose?
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 08:51 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 353/209/170

Height: 5'9"

Hi Brenda,
KatiesMom & Monet are right. But it doesn't work for everyone. My husband was diagnosed almost 13 months ago with Type2. He was almost 200 lbs. overweight & it finally, caught up to him. He is 66 yrs. old. Like the original 3 FC, he grew up in Missouri & Michigan on Southern cooking. Especially, his late Mom's Southern Fried Chicken. His favorite foods were anything FRIED but no veggies or salads. Well, that changed last year. His BS was
772 and reached 1500 in the emergency room. It had been 127 just 9 months earlier---but, he wouldn't listen.
4 shots a day changed his mind (3 Rapid-acting at meals, & 1-24hr (Lantos) at night. The doctors said if he lost the weight there was a good chance, he could go off the insulin. I researched for hours on the internet (til 3 & 4 am many nights) for everything I could find about it. One of the main things, I learned was that insulin makes it harder to lose weight. But I was determined & he agreed to it. For 1 whole year he had absolutely NO FRIED FOOD & I still strictly limit that. He has had no pop (soda) of anykind. His Crystal Light is limited to 1 a day--water or an occasional V-8 (within his carbs & cals). Well, he has lost 140 lbs. In October, 2005, his dr started lowering his insulin units. By Christmas, he was on the Lantos only & dropping it by a unit per her instructions. As of April 8, 2006, he has not used any insulin medications. I'm sure everyone has heard or read something about Cinnamon--well with his dr's approval I started him on Cinnamon & 200mg of Chrominuim Picolinate last August. For him it worked. He has about 40lbs to lose yet, but he is willing to continue. He has seen what has happened to a number of his friends, who have not changed their lifestyle. Thank God, he had a doctor, who was willing to give it a try. She calls him her "Miracle Diabetic" his numbers are consistently right in the middle of where she wants them. His Blood Pressure numbers are also way lower. The only medication he takes is blood pressure & that may stop in November. I'm sorry this is so long. but I wanted you to know of 1 person who has done it.
CharZ
CharZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 07:57 AM   #5  
stbakd

exercise also helps. drink lots of water and stay away from the high suger foods. glen
hefty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 04:45 PM   #6  
Pinkroses

I thought I could control my diabietes alone but, I can't Thank goodness I am seeing a Diabetic doctor. My regular family doctor and a pain doctor.
I agree with what has been said here.
It helps to have places like this site to help us too. pinkroses
pinkroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 10:33 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 245/240/150

Hi All,
I'm new to 3FC and have started Sugar Busters. I had my annual physical recently and my HgA1c and fasting glucose were up. They have never been up before. It has really scared my and resolved my fear of dieting. I've started checking my blood sugar daily. It's been a real eye opener for me. I see the Doc again in about 6 weeks and hope to have lost at least 15lbs by then. I'm open to all suggestions.
HopSkipandAJump is offline   Reply With Quote