November Chat

You're on Page 2 of 6
Go to
  • Well thank you all for the lovely birthday wishes. I had a fine day. I stayed on plan, and did enjoy some wine with supper. Really enjoyed the coincidence of getting to sleep a bit longer over night too.
    Also went to yoga yesterday and walked the dog. Maybe more of the same today. There is a bit of sun right now.

Trish, I am glad things seem to be moving in the right direction for you.
    Rennie: every little bit down is a good thing. I hope you see 180 very soon.
    Ruth: YES, this is the month things will change for you.
    Bonnie: haven't seen you much, but pray that things will improve for you too.
    Hello to carole sue and everyone else

For my part, perhaps the thought of getting into shape for cross country skiing will help me. I don't know why I have been so unmotivated, but I really need to get back to moving.
  • Didn't make it to church this morning as I've been sick all night with stomach. Not sure if it is a virus or too much fiber or what. DH was sick with his stomach yesterday and went to beauty shop and beautician was nauseous. So may just be a bug. So eating will be lite stuff easy on tummy. But weight is coming down steadily, but still not back down to match ticker. I will change ticker when it get below that number. My fbs was 166 this morning so that is good.

Y'all have a super Sunday!!!
  • Interesting experience yesterday. I was sick and could only eat carbs to settle my stomach. This morning weight was the same no up or down and my fbs was 148. Maybe carbs are NOT my problem.

As a result, today has become an experimental day. I took an OTC sleeping pill last night and slept until after 11 am. So didn't eat breakfast. So today I decided to eat the way an Oriental doc once told me to eat. He said eat one meal a day meatless. So I did just that today. One meal with meat and one meatless. Will see how that turns out tomorrow when I check my weight and fbs. One plus I haven't been hungry today at all.

Hope everyone is doing ok.
  • Just a short hello.
    SO the last few days have managed to eat on plan AND get some exercise. I went to yoga on Saturday, (got a free class for my birthday!) but Sunday was too stiff for that, so settled for dog walking. Yoga again last night, and today will take dog for a trail walk. Have been sleeping well, but at some point work will get busy again, but for now, will enjoy the rest, and exercise.
    AM enjoying the yoga again, I know I cut back with the shoulder injury, and I have been very gentle and cautious with the yoga, but I DO enjoy it and feel so good afterward.
    May we all find the path to better health.
    have a good Tuesday.
  • Mad - Happy Belated Birthday! I remember you said it was coming up but I didn't know when. Hope you had a great day! You seem to be doing well, OP and exercising. I am hanging in there. That day I ate the bread put me in a 3-4 day binge, so I have learned my lesson. Bread is a definate trigger. Can I at least say that it was delicious? LOL

Trish - I hope you're feeling better. Good job on cutting the carbs. I think it takes a few days of no carbs to see a difference, so even though you didn't show a loss, it was only one day. So many other things can factor in. Keep it up, it will pay off eventually.
  • Quote: but I think we have to find the balance that makes it all work for us individually. I saw a doctor on tv yrs and yrs ago and he said that if you get your food consumption and exercise right that you would automatically lose weight with no real effort. I'm beginning to wonder if perhaps that is true. Stress is known to work against diabetes and I'm thinking that I stress so much over the weight loss that perhaps it works against me losing. My goal is to get the routine of eating and exercise working for me and then lose the stress by just relaxing and enjoying my life... WL and all. I honestly believe that just might be the difference in success and failure. JMO
    Trish I totally agree with you. That's why I like to calorie cycle. I definitely need to find the balance to get the ball rolling Glad you're feeling better, sleeping in until 11, I wish I could do that ... my body wakes me up and then I have to get up or my back hurts like crazy (Weird thing is sometimes I am still quite tired ). Can't wait to hear how the meat experiment goes

Thanks Madeleine, glad you had a good birthday and yes it is and I sure hope to also

Carol Sue the only bread I can seem to eat and not have any additional craving is the double fiber bread by Nature's Own and this Healthy Life bread I found at Kroger. They don't taste bad though I do like the Healthy Life better but after I'm done I am done (thank goodness.) The kids made Grands biscuits two days in a row and I wanted one so bad, then I picked up the wrapper and I think one biscuit is 170 calories, I thought that is so not worth it. Plus I know I would easily have eaten 3

Ruth is it you that was experimenting with the beans? How were your glucose levels? I want to make chicken chili and since I know I will make corn bread of some type I just don't want to over do it.

fbs was 134 yesterday and 138 today. Though the scale stayed the same. I'm going grocery shopping this evening so maybe when I enter my food this week I can actually calorie cycle like I want to.
  • Hi Rennie! What is meant by calorie cycle?

The only bread I binge on is bakery bread like Italian or Pumpernickel. My husband normally eats commercial white bread which I can easily pass up. I tried the double fiber bread and while I liked the taste and texture, I went back to the Nickles 35 Multigrain because of the lower calorie count. I keep it in the freezer and I only eat that if I'm making a sandwich, which is rare. My husband likes those Grands Biscuits but I rarely buy them because they are tempting to me. If I don't buy them for him, he doesn't request them.

You have done really well lowering your FBS. Congratulations.
  • Carol Sue I went on a site entered some information and it gave me days to eat higher calories and days to eat lower calories. It helped in the past to keep the scale moving as it keeps the body guessing ... not doing the same stuff everyday

Your Nickles 35 bread must be like the Healthy Life bread I found at Kroger, only 35 calories for 2 slices also, pretty good and filling

Thanks Carol Sue re: my fbs ... it was 147 this morning but still way better than my high 200 days
  • Nope it wasn't me that was talking about beans. I really would like some though. I've been eating "Atkin-ish" since last Sunday and checking my BGL religiously. I was a nice FBGL of 5 (90) this morning and am down four pounds. I'm making sure I do eat some carbs and will experiment with small servings of beans to see how that goes.

I'm still not back at the gym although I did have good intentions. I did something stupid and lifted my summer tires out of the car after the snows were installed on Tuesday. Could have waited for my wonderful neighbour but I was going shopping and needed the room. I think the ribs are OK but the lower back is back to bothering me. I have been told that I am turning into a stubborn old lady.
  • Quick flyby. Just checking in. Got off plan while I was sick with my stomach and am back up almost 10 lbs so I've pulled my ticker off as I refuse to put that many lbs on it because I will not stay there. It is all fluid. I'm back on low-carb. I think I need to stay away from carby foods for a while because low carb eating keeps the fluid off. I've been considering doing low carb like Dana Carpendar did it. I'll allow myself carby meals once in a while, but will be doing more strict low carb MOST of the time.

I'll check back later. Spending the next few days getting things controllable again. Have a good day.
  • Rennie, I am going to google the calorie cycle and see what it says. I don't actual count calories. I just eyeball my portions and I know that's not good because you know what they say "Your eyes are bigger than your stomach!" LOL

I googled the Healthy Life bread and it's the same as the Nickles 35 except the wheat has a little more fiber than my multigrain. I have never seen the Healthy Life in my area.

Ruth, you may be stubborn but you're not OLD! I did the same thing with taking tires out of the trunk years ago in my 20's and have had back problems ever since. Hope you feel better.

I was the one talking about beans, especially lentils. I was eating a couple tablespoons every day but didn't stick to it for more than a few days. I want to get back to it again, but there's just too much food around here anymore. I buy all the healthy things I want to eat, zucchini, cabbage, squash, and I made a ton of veggie soup. It's all healthy, but DH doesn't eat it and I can't eat it all. I have to start buying one thing a week and waiting til I finish that to get something else.

Trish, being sick is never advantageous to weight loss for me. I end up eating comfort food that always seems to add up to carbs and more carbs. You will get back OP. If you have a small portion of carbs it should be ok, and it will keep you from craving it when you know you can have it once in a while. You can do this!

Mad - Hope your hanging in there!
  • I am back on plan and weight is coming back down. I seem to retain a lot of fluid so am working at getting that off. Blood sugar was up a bit, but I'm sure that will come back down as well. I've been reading a lot about the ph of the body keeping the bodies acid/alkaline balance through food combining. However, I plan to keep it simple. I read about doing it with IE. I think it would help me keep the fluid off. Will see.

I know greens are good for lowering blood sugar so I went to the store and got some organic spinach with spring mix and organic kale. I had never eaten it and I must say that I love the taste. I'm going to look up how to make kale chips. I saw them in the store but $6.00 for a small bag is really ridiculous.

The way combining works is eating fruit always alone never with other food. Always eat raw non-starchy vegetables either protein or starchy foods, but never eat starchy veggies/foods with protein. It is the old Fit For Life way of eating by Harvey and Marilyn Diamond. Had their book years ago. I think Susanne Summers some of the ideas in her book yrs ago, but not the cycle that the Diamond's use. You eat fruit during the morning hours however some fruits you don't mix. Eat your food between noon and 8 pm and eat nothing after 8 pm so the body can rest for 8 hrs. I have a few books on eating more alkaline foods than acidic to balance the ph. This is my favorite food plan of any of them. I always felt that if my Mother had eaten this way (I found the Fit For Life book among her things after she died) we would not have lost her so early. I read that while genetics does have something to do with our health, environment and how we eat has a bigger part. My Mother's Mother was a vegetarian and lived to be 80. None of her children ate the way she did and died too soon. The lived for sweets.

My niece recently was diagnosed diabetic. She chose to become a Vegan like her brother. He is vegan and his wife is vegetarian. She has reversed diabetes and doing fine. It has made me look at the foods I eat a lot differently. I've been reading up on how to eat as a vegan and a vegetarian. I can't be a vegetarian. However, I did find a way of eating that I could do which I had never heard of. It is called Flexatarian. You eat vegetarian your choice of 2 to 3 days a week. Using what I learned in the Fit For Life book, I think I could have one meal with meat and eat the rest of my meals vegetarian each day. It fits my IE way of eating and no counting calories. It really has impressed me because it is so healthy. There is no way fruits and non-starchy veggies can be bad for me. When I eat meat and veggies, I have to wait 4 hrs for the meal to get out of my stomach before I can eat another meal. If I eat a meatless meal, I am to wait 3 hrs before eating anything else. Most fruit takes only 30 minutes to go through the stomach except bananas takes 45 minutes. This way of eating also allows for the times when you want to or have to eat protein and starchy foods/veggies together. He says it takes 8 hours for it to pass out of the stomach and should not be done too often.

Eating like this makes for a healthy digestive system and I won't have problems with my stomach like I had last week. I also read in one of the books to use sea salt instead of table salt. Table salt causes fluid retention, however, you can eat as much sea salt you want because it does not cause fluid retention. A lot of good info.

Edited to add: I realized after writing this that I can use this woe to do low carb and use the carby meals on special occasions or when unable to control to low carb. He read in the book that you don't have to eat breakfast unless you are hungry which means that it can be combined with IF/IE woe. Very doable.

So I'm back OP with a healthy way of Intuitive eating.

Have a great week end everyone.
  • Good morning. Weight is up bit over a pound this morning but BGL is great.

Went to dinner theatre last night after a week of fairly strict lower carbing. Nothing can be more carby than a beef stew made with peas, carrots, turnips and Guinness beer! I shall have to be abstemious today. Good thing I made a wonderful chicken soup yesterday.

Glad you are feeling better, Trish. Sea salt is great except it's not iodized. I think we need some iodine in our systems. I live far from the ocean so do use iodized salt. Might be worth checking into. There's always something to think about. I try not to stress over what I eat though. I did learn that too much potassium is not good for you and that keeping our bodies alkaline is a cancer preventative. (My brain is fat from all the bits and pieces of info crammed in there! I need brain Ex-Lax!)
  • If anyone's interested here is a list of Alkeline and Acidic Foods. I had this bookmarked from when my psoriasis was flaring badly and I had heard I was to eat mostly Alkeline. Now my P is in remission and I don't follow this so much.

http://www.rense.com/1.mpicons/acidalka.htm

Trish, I could not do strict vegan/vegetarian but if I was by myself I would never eat beef or pork. The only meat I really like is chicken. I also like fish and eggs. So I would never want to do without them. But everyone is different, as we all know. I don't think meat is necessary as there are other ways to get protein.

I too want to make kale chips. I heard about them but have not taken the time to research. It seems they are really easy. I think you just tear the kale in pieces, add olive oil and seasoned salt and then bake.

Ruth - I also heard that Sea Salt does not contain iodine, but I'm wondering if there are other ways to get iodine into your system. You probably don't need a lot. Maybe just use iodized once in a while? Does shellfish contain iodine? My son and his wife use Sea Salt and also Lite Salt. She is very health concious.
  • http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Baked-Kale-Chips/

Here's the Kale Chips recipe. I'm going to try it.