Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 10:04 AM   #31  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Hi everyone: I have been doing ok, except of course for exercise. I plan to go to yoga today as it is miserable outside for walking or gardening. Its cold, rainy and windy and grey. Hot yoga sounds good.
Weight is down. If it stays below 180 this week I will change the ticker.
I was at a buddhist event yesterday that included a vegan indian buffet, and I had the rice, and lots of legumes, but no wheat and did fine.
I will do a low carb day today however, not to tempt fate.
I am excited to read all these great posts, and thank you all.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:39 AM   #32  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Good to see you Mad, and glad to hear you're doing well. I have always wanted to try Indian Food but DH is not as adventurous. I am beginning to feel that legumes are a good thing and want to get back to having some every day. I would think that the legumes you had helped to slow the absorption of the rice. I think that's how fiber is supposed to work.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:09 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Ruthie They had iodized Sea Salt at the health food store. I didn't get it, but they do have it.

Carol Sue Thanks for the website. I've seen several with the list and info and this one you shared is the best. I made a copy of it. I want to work more alkaline foods into my food plan and it will be extremely helpful. I really like eating low carb and looking at the list, I don't think there is any problem doing that using more alkaline type veggies. In fact, I think that is a good idea any way because meat is acidic and you add enough good alkaline veggies would be extremely healthy.

I made the kale chips using directions from a friend on another site. She prepares hers the same way, but cooks at 300 degrees for 17-22 minutes. I didn't want to burn it so I cooked it for almost 22 minutes and turned off the oven and just let it sit in the oven until it dried out. I made a small amount and the kale being small, I really think I could have used less olive oil. This kale was different from the ones I see on line and cooking shows. I got them at the health food already cleaned etc and very small with small stems. I wanted to get some more today at Walmart of the larger kale, but it was yucky looking all wilted. So will have to go to a different store to get some more. Kale is going to be a permanent food in my plan. As one lady said on a youtube video I watched, her family found it so easy to replace their potato chips with these, because they realized that the salt and crispiness were what they missed more than the taste of the potato chip. I think they will do the same for me too. And they are an alkaline food too. Yippee!!!

Mad Glad to hear from you and you are doing very well. I too have to get my exercise going. I do the stationary bike, but I need the benefits of Tai Chi and I've got to get to doing it on a regular basis. We will get it going though it just takes getting into the habit of it.

Last edited by pattygirl63; 11-10-2013 at 07:11 PM.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:18 AM   #34  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Had a carby weekend by not eating at home and have slipped right back to 190. Back on track today for sure. I am well stocked with protein and veggies so no excuses.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:06 PM   #35  

It's funny that we were just talking about kale and I received an e-mail from Diet Detective that contained this link.

http://www.dietdetective.com/weekly-...m_medium=email

You have to avoid Kale if you are taking a blood thinner such as Coumadin.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 11-11-2013 at 12:07 PM.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:14 AM   #36  

Carol Sue I don't take Coumadin, but my DH does. I don't think he would like Kale, but I know he has to be careful with dark greens. The doctor never gave us instructions on foods DH could and couldn't eat, but DD was in nursing school her RN teacher told her that he could eat them just not everyday. She said eat them on the same day every week and it would not mess up his pt adjustment. The doc keeps a good eye on it. Thanks for all the info you have shared.

I wrote a whole post earlier and the computer froze and I lost it. So won't go into all that now it is too late.

I had a good eating day. I'm doing the Fit For Life cycle of 8 hrs eat fruits, then 8 hrs eat other foods and the 8 hrs letting the body rest. I shared the alkaline/acidic info with DH about how we should eat 60% alkaline and 40% acidic to be healthy. Since we only eat one main meal a day, we decided to do the fruit in the morning, eat veggies with meat/protein at our main meal and then snack on alkaline foods the rest of the 8 hr window of eating. I like to stop eating around 8 pm so I really go longer than 8 hrs with no eating because I can start eating fruit @ 4 am, but I don't get up until around 8 or 9 am because I stay up late with DH. It works out fine and I can do this so easily so it is no problem for me.

Headed to bed. Catch y'all tomorrow. Good night.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:17 AM   #37  

Trish - my son takes Coumadin and he watches very closely what he can and can't eat. He looked it up and made a list of foods containing Vit K. One day he didn't realize that mayonaise has Vit K and he was eating tartar sauce. Really screwed up his reading. He loves veggies and big salads and this is hard for him. He eats a portion of broccoli every day and he keeps his readings in line. I serve a lot of potato salad, but now I also make a pasta salad with italian dressing so he can have something without the mayo.

Yesterday I bought a very small bunch of kale and I will try making the kale chips today. I hope I like them, and maybe DH will even try them, although I doubt it.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:26 PM   #38  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

I got to yoga yesterday, but weight is up a bit. I am pretty self-absorbed right now, and still having computer problems, I haven't bought the new one yet.
I am upset with DH for not being supportive with my work problems, and those are ongoing, so dealing with work issues and home stuff is clogging my charkas. (ok, thats pretty flakey, but I am feeling clogged up with my emotions, so it fits)
I am working at not starting up emotional eating, and so far, so good.
So now to talk with DH about all this not talking.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:38 AM   #39  
~Rennie

S/C/G: HW/220~SW/191.2~GW 141

Height: 5'3

Oh boy do I need to catch up

Just wanted to report that I saw my lowest fbs this year 128. very happy about that also I weighed in this morning at 180.8 nice to see that zero also

Have a great day Ladies
Old 11-13-2013, 01:10 PM   #40  
~Rennie

Ruth I hope your back is better My Aunt was hospitalized once for her potassium being too high. Ruth, I had a snacky day on Monday and went over 1000 extra calories in pure junk food. But yesterday was back on plan and today also

Trish thanks for the info on Flexatarian eating. Glad you have found what works. I like the sound of the plan also. I stopped using table salt and started using Nu-Salt a few years back. I don't use it that often though. Mainly in my egg, tuna and chicken salad. Come to think of it that's all I use it for. I have found that most things just taste salty enough for me. Trish --> this part makes me want to try the kale chips her family found it so easy to replace their potato chips with these, because they realized that the salt and crispiness were what they missed more than the taste of the potato chip Everytime my husband has chips I always get 1-3, I just love the smell and the saltiness So hopefully this will help. I may try it this weekend. Along with the sweet potato I have yet to prepare to get ready for MY Thanksgiving. I am not going to make a mess of what I have accomplished for one day.

Carol Sue I didn't even think about being vegetarian and not eating fish. My cousins husband is vegetarian but he eats salmon and tilapia. Let us know how your chips turned out and how they taste

Madeleine the weather here has been interesting. Sunny, warm then cold, wet, snowy … gotta get use to it I guess Madeleine here's to husbands talking (I need to have the same discussion with mine)

You all are a wealth of information. I have a WORD document that I keep adding to so I can reference back. Thank you all
Old 11-13-2013, 08:00 PM   #41  

Rennie - There was a young girl at work who's family didn't eat any meat, no red meat, pork, or poultry, but they ate fish and shellfish. As she became more sociable with her friends, she was introduced to meat and she liked it, but she was afraid to tell her parents. She would go out to eat with her friends and leave her take-out container in the car (not in warm weather) and bring the leftovers in to work for her lunch. She did that for years. Her parents are probably gone now, but I'll bet she never told them. I could very easily give up beef and pork because before I met my husband I rarely ate it. But couldn't give up my chicken and fish.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:05 PM   #42  

I've had a good week. If I eat in the morning hrs, I eat fruit. I didn't eat any today because I got up late and I wasn't hungry. Didn't eat until around 2. I eat whatever I want at my main meal, but I always eat a BIG salad. I haven't had a second meal in 2 or 3 days. I had a snack, but no meal. Just haven't been hungry. I think I must have over did the fruits and veggies yesterday. I remember the health food store owner I worked for yrs ago told me that veggies act like a broom and fruit works like a mop cleaning out our system and boy did I get a cleansing last night. May be the reason I wasn't very hungry for fruit this morning. LOL Any way, I got a whoosh and my weight was back down to 233.4 this morning. So that weight I gained a few weeks ago with the stomach problems hopefully is gone. I will have to wait and see if it stays. This FBS reading is really whacky to me. When the weight comes down like that, the fbs is up the next day. I really think that was caused from me eating past 9 pm. It doesn't seem to matter that it was within the 8 hrs that I was allowed. I think I just can't eat anything after 8 pm. So I try not to eat anything past 7:30 pm.

Rennie I don't plan to mess with my eating Thanksgiving day either. It turns out that my son will be here the weekend before Thanksgiving instead of Thanksgiving day. Not sure what DGS plans are, but I've decided that even if he is here that we will go out to eat that day probably at Golden Corral so everyone can eat what they want and then come home with no tempting foods laying around here. I've decided that there just isn't anything I want bad enough to get me off plan.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:11 PM   #43  
~Rennie

Carol Sue, I don't even know that I could give up beef fully. My son made a killer meatloaf from 80/20 ground beef last night and I love a burger from the grill and beef meatballs. On pork, I love my Mom's ham. I could easily eat a pound of bacon and yes chitterlings. My Dad would cook them when I was little. So if he were still here or I find someone that prepares them like him, I would definitely eat them. My husband doesn't eat pork and the kids eat everything I eat minus the chitterlings. They won't even consider then.

Trish when you eat fruit in the morning, what are your glucose readings like afterwards? Which fruits do you eat? LOL on the cleansing out last night that's what I need. I noticed that about my fbs also. Weight good, fbs blah. FBS good, weight is usually blah. When I want something to eat late. I will eat a cup of grapes when I have them. Here lately though I've just had green and pu'erh tea. Seems to be okay, I just go to the bathroom once or twice during the night. My Mom has come the day after Thanksgiving for the last three years. She was the main cook for the day minus the things that the kids prefer me to make. We have spent the last two years at my Auntie's house only having to bring a dish or two. This year since my daughter and her husband are in their first place I thought we would eat there but she doesn't want to cook. So it's to my Auntie's I'm sure. I plan to enjoy my two additional days off without slaving over a stove half the evening/day This is exactly how I feel ---> I've decided that there just isn't anything I want bad enough to get me off plan. I will get a spoon of what I like eat that and be done. I do not want to leave feeling stuffed and nauseous
Old 11-14-2013, 12:01 AM   #44  

Rennie I can have 2 fruits servings a day and that is usually all that I have. I just whatever I have on hand. Sometimes I have banana, watermelon, grapes or an apple. Just depends on what I'm in the mood for at the time. And then sometimes like today, I didn't eat anything until 2 pm. I'm kind of doing this with the Intuitive Eating principles. I eat when I'm hungry, eat only as much as I need to satisfy my hunger and then stop. My Doc only has me check my fbs. I don't really have to check it more often unless I just decide to.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:01 AM   #45  

I made my kale chips last night and I have mixed reviews. First of all, after looking at pictures of them online, I think I cut my kale too small. Secondly, even though I just put a dash of salt on mine, they were too salty for my taste. I do not like a salty taste. They are very light and airy and crumble very easily, not as sturdy as a potato chip. But I did like the taste and the kale is good for me. But since I don't eat salty snacks very often, I really don't need a substitute for them. I think if I leave more veins in them when I tear them they will have a little more substance. All I can say is go very easy on the salt shaker!

Rennie, - I am a foodie and like to try every food there is, at least once. I have always wanted to try chitterlings, but I didn't want to do all that work to make them, I wanted to taste someone else's, just to try them. But this is PA and you don't hear of them much around here. At work there were 2 women who said they made them on holidays but I couldn't get them to bring me a little taste. LOL I think if I lived in the south I would have a much worse weight problem because of all that good southern cooking.

Trish, I don't think you will have any trouble sticking to your plan on Thanksgiving. You really have it ingrained in your mind and are sticking to it very well.

I am hosting Thanksgiving, as usual, and since I'm cooking I really don't overeat. I allow myself 1 carb, and since I love stuffing, that's my one carb, and I only have a small portion. Since I am not a sweet eater, I don't eat pie or any other dessert, so I am confident that I will do well. Most of my leftovers go home with my company. I know to make extra of everything because they love their leftovers. Some even bring their own containers because they know there will be leftovers. I roast 2 turkeys so I get a lot of dark meat because that's what they mostly like. I have a rather small house so there's not a lot of room, but there sure is a lot of food, and that's why they come. LOL
Closed Thread