Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 04:50 PM   #16  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

I have been pre-Diabetic for a while now (dx in 2010). I would suggest that you let your meter be your guide. Many pre-Ds can have a small serving of starch or sugar (brown rice, fudge, fruit, small potato) with a meal with only a small rise of blood glucose (BG). If you are measuring your BG 1 and 2 hours after a meal, and it doesn't rise above 140, whatever you had in that meal can be considered fairly "safe" for you (so long as you keep the portions small).

But no matter how healthy something is SUPPOSED to be, you have to figure out if it works for you. Oatmeal is great; oatmeal is wonderful. But even a small serving of it will spike me above 140. So it's not on my approved list for foods anymore.

I found the that easiest way to figure out what I COULD eat was to begin with breakfast. For a week or so, I measured before and after eating (1 and 2 hours), and came up with four or five breakfasts that I know are "safe" for me. Now I pretty much just eat those: protein shakes, cottage cheese, eggs, etc.

Then I moved to lunches, since I usually eat many of the same things over and over again for lunch, too. I continued eating safe breakfasts, and began testing around various lunches. I found I can eat up to about 30 grams of carbs for lunch before I get much of a spike. So now I have a portfolio of "safe" lunches (including ones for eating out).

Dinners are harder, because they can be SO much more varied, especially when eating out. But by this time, three years after diagnosis, I have a solid list of things I can eat in almost any situation. But that list was created by testing how my body reacted to various foods.

Exercise can help a lot, too. But I think it's easier to limit the carb (starch/sugar) that I eat so that my glucose doesn't spike, rather than exercise after the fact to bring it back down. (Don't get me wrong; regular exercise is also very important for overall glucose control. But I don't use it for specific after-meal glucose lowering, like some do.)

As to "reversing" pre-D... that's a tricky question. Some folks believe very strongly that you can't ever "reverse" Diabetes, no matter where you are on the spectrum from pre-D to D2, and whether you're using meds or not. You can control it; you can use diet and lifestyle to keep your numbers low and in "normal" ranges. But the broken metabolism is still underlying your efforts. If you went back to eating a high-carb eating plan, your BG would react by spiking and dropping... so it's not really "reversed". You're just avoiding the things that spike it in the first place. You're "controlling" your Diabetes.

But as I said, it's a huge debate point on the Diabetes boards.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:42 PM   #17  

Thank you all for your responses. I decided to provide a little update on myself.
So, my A1C level was a 5.9 when I got it tested in January, but I recentlyy (less than a week ago) got it tested again. After all of the hard work, it was a 5.5, a big improvement.

I have decided to get over the "reverse" thing, and decided to just start treating myself as a diabetic with good control. I will now just eat lower carbs, only certain carbs, a lot of protein, continue working out, and hopefully my numbers will get lower/stay where they are as I continue to drop weight (I was 286, now 259). I hope that I can either stay where I am, or get better. As long as I do not get worse, I should be fine.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:39 AM   #18  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

Good job on lowering your A1C!!! I think it's very wise to just treat yourself as a diabetic with good control. Thank you for posting an update.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:19 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 218/190.4/155

Height: 5'7"

Just want to make sure that you all know that you can actually check your A1C levels at home and don't need to go into a lab for it (very beneficial if you don't have good health insurance or if crazy busy schedule makes it hard to get in for lab work). At Wal-mart where they keep the diabetes supplies (glucose test strips, etc) you can get at home A1C tests. It comes with a lancet, you put two drops of blood on the paper, mail it in, and about a week later they email you the results. I think it costs something like $8. I did it myself (I have IR) and had a good experience and plan on checking my A1C at home like this every 3-4 months as I continue losing weight.

Hope you find this information helpful!
Old 05-23-2013, 01:06 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 201/ticker/150

Height: 5' 6"

You are doing great! Keep going!
Old 05-23-2013, 06:08 AM   #21  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

OP has not been back online since March 26 so I'm closing this thread.
Closed Thread