Old 10-03-2009, 03:30 AM   #1  

Default Breakfast problem

I'm prediabetic and I tried doing low carb and got really sick on it not saying it was a bad diet but just bad for me.
I was sent to a dietitian on Monday and she gave me great information I couldn't believe the stuff I didn't know and thought I did. And she did a great plan for me but I've always had trouble with breakfast no matter what I eat I'm starving an hour later and feel sleepy. Sleepy is not an option with a baby!
She told me no fruit(at breakfast) and a whole grain combined with a protein.
Does anyone have any good suggestions nothing seems to be settling well with me. I should have gotten more breakfast ideas from her but I was overwhelmed.
Thanks for any help.
2muchbackend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 07:57 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Hi there! Glad you found this part of the Forum.

My standard breakfasts are:
- old fashioned oatmeal with milk and Splenda
- whole wheat toast with peanut butter and a glass of V8
- toasted ww English muffin with low fat cream cheese ad sliced tomato
- Fibre 1 cereal with yogurt
- leftovers from supper - had brown rice and mushroom pilaf yesterday

There is a lot of info in the South Beach Diet recipe forum which may be of help. Check it out. It's a good plan for folks with diabetes, PCOS or other health issues. Phase II would probably work just fine for you. Note that it is good carb, not low carb.

Here's the link to Phase II breakfasts.

Let us know how it goes.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 11:00 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 248.8/232.2/135

Height: 5'8"

There are some great whole grain breads that are high in protein. You can find them at Whole Foods or other health food stores; sometimes they are frozen in order to keep them fresh. Add a teaspoon of almond butter, and you will have a high protein, healthy carb breakfast. Also, steel cut oatmeal is great.

J
LotusMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 11:11 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 230/229/200

Height: 5'3

I am prediabetic also and there is a great website that has alot of high protein breakfast and snack items. I order from there and love everything that I get. For example their oatmeal comes mixed with a protein powder. They have delicious breakfast bars. I also like their bariwise protein shakes. Try: www.dietdirect.com

There is a bagel called the perfect 10 that is high protein. Perfect for breakfast with smear of almond butter or cream cheese. I have to order them online at www.westernbagel.com There is a minimum order so you would have to put them in the freezer. You can also go to their website and see if a local store carries them but I don't have any in my area.
ANewCreation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 11:26 AM   #5  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

I don't have any particular menu suggestions, but breakfast doesn't have to be traditional "breakfast" fare.

Think outside the cereal box.

Whatever works best for you, I eat a tuna sandwich for breakfast 2 or 3 times a week.
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 11:19 PM   #6  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

I like to change what I have each day; and these are my favorites ~

-- wg bagel w/natural peanut butter
-- oatmeal with tbl flax meal & cinnamon w/ milk & sweetener
-- natural cream of wheat + milk + sweetener
-- an omelette with mushrooms or cheese
-- cheesy pizza omelette or veggie frittata
-- blue menu fruit & nut granola mixed with all-bran
-- wg English muffin with melted cheese
-- scrambled or poached eggs with 1 toast
-- pizza pita pocket (1/2 the wg pocket)
-- pumpkin custard (no crust)

When I make the oatmeal, I often add a tbl of flax meal & wheat bran too; and sometimes half & half oatmeal and cream of wheat. I also make extra so I can just reheat it in the microwave another day; and presto, I have my own instant breakfast.

I agree with the others; you can eat anything you want, just be sure to have some kind of protein in it; how about a grilled cheese? Many fruits are high in natural sugars and can cause your blood sugars to spike after fasting (not eating) all night. Good advice by your dietician.

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 10-07-2009 at 04:47 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 03:56 PM   #7  

Height: 5'7"

Hey there ladies,

I'm having a problem with my a.m. fasting being higher than my bedtime number. Then, for breakfast my usual is a half cup of oatmeal, plain, and 2 egg whites. That will cause my glucose to go up 40points or more. Then it will lower during the day back into the middle hundreds. I'm trying to get the numbers down through diet alone and it has come down some over the last three months. I can't stand those lows that come with taking medicine but it looks like I'm going to have to go there.

Any suggestions?

b' sweet y'all
Tapestry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 04:19 PM   #8  

Height: 5'7"

Hey ANEWCREATION,

I went to the dietdirect site and it looks promising. Do you follow a certain program from there or do you mix their foods into your own diet plan?

Looks like you're doing great by your weight loss....stay strong!
Tapestry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 04:51 PM   #9  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Have you tried switching to omelettes with mushrooms or leftover veggies with a bit of cheese for breakfast instead? Just see what your numbers are when having a protein-based breakfast instead of grains. Another option is to add a slice of lean Ham or 2 slices of Canadian Bacon on occasion to vary it up a bit ...
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 02:00 AM   #10  

Well the last two days I've done better I had a cereal called wheetabix I guess it's big in the UK I had never heard of it till I saw it at Trader Joe's the other day. And I had it with Greek yogurt seems like it helped.
2muchbackend is offline   Reply With Quote