Old 06-10-2008, 03:22 PM   #1  

Default Type 2 lows

Hi all, I'm new here!

I have noticed when I am doing really good with my eating my blood sugar goes down to like 70 and I'm all shaky & stuff. Then I run to eat some sugar or carbs to bring it up. This sucks 'cause I always over do it thinking I'm going to go too low. Last time I ate two jumbo bowls of chereeos w/splenda, which is a ton of carbs.

How do I cut my calories without my blood sugar going too low? Sometimes I think the Metformin is working too well (1000mg twice a day).
MrsDoomsPatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 03:33 PM   #2  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

to our group and as well . . .

Those lows are all too familiar to me but definitely not as many since I stopped using insulin and those shaky feelings are the pits. It's easy to find yourself face down in a trough of bad carbs when they hit. You should always have glucose tablets on hand and after eating a couple of those, you then should have a piece of fruit and some protein (like low-fat cheese) to tide you over to the next actual meal.

Metformin is one of the few meds that doesn't usually get associated with lows because it does not increase your insulin output; just makes the cells more sensitive to it.

Could you tell us a little bit more about your eating plan and particularly the timing of your carb intake which is very important to maintaining level blood glucose levels. Also, when are you checking your sugar levels and how often.

Have you dropped a lot of weight since you were diagnosed? That is probably the single most important thing in combatting this disease.

Do the hypoglycemic events tend to coincide with increased exercise?

In other words . . . more information please. Hope you will be joining our regular little "Dieting with Diabetes" chat group now that you've found us . . .
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote