Old 02-11-2008, 10:16 PM   #1  
1 day at a time =^.^=

S/C/G: 275/217/165

Height: 5'5"

Lightbulb Are they finally getting it??? Low-carb/Type 2

Have any of you seen this article???

dubdubdub.everydayhealth.com/publicsite/ShowArticle.aspx?IsP=news/612/news612441.xml&cen=HC:%20Type%202%20Diabetes[/url]

The article, Low-Carb Diets Better Than Low-Fat Diets at Preventing Diabetes, says

"The findings, Halton added, were a bit surprising in that most doctors and nutritionists recommend a low-fat diet to prevent type 2 diabetes. "This study showed that a low-fat diet didn't really prevent type 2 diabetes in our cohort when compared to a low-carb diet. I was also surprised that total carbohydrate consumption was associated with type 2 diabetes, and that the relative risk for the glycemic load was so high."

Duh.

"For this study, Halton and his colleagues examined the association between low-carb diets and the risk of diabetes among 85,059 women participating in the Nurse's Health Study. The data included 20 years of follow-up."

Is this the study that Dr. A spoke of in DANDR??

It drove me crazy to have my dr. send me to a nutritionist after I was diagnosed last year with type 2, and they were REALLY pushing me to have ~200 carbs per day. I told the nutritionists (2 different ladies, 2 different appts) that really, I'm quite sensitive to carbs, and I FEEL better and have lower blood sugar readings when I ate low-carb. One refused to budge on the carb issue, the other very very reluctantly came down about 30 carbs -big deal. Both sent me packing with the ADA diet, which is pretty dang carb heavy.

I am happily, unhungrily following Atkins and losing weight, my blood sugar is much, much better, as is my blood pressure.

Hmmpf.
justducky2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 04:13 PM   #2  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Hi DUCKY . . . I've never before heard of anyone pushing all that hard on low-fat for the prevention of diabetes. Although I do agree that both the ADA and the CDA do tend to be a little heavy-handed on the carb intake for diabetics.

Bottom-line -- everybody -- be they diabetic or not has a different tolerance for the various categories of carbohydrates, and I don't think any one plan can be perfect for everybody. A lot depends on age and any other health problems the individual may have as well.

Most of my carb intake comes from veggies, veggies, and more veggies because I'm very sensitive to the grain-based carbs (even the healthy whol-grain kind). However, I'm also careful of my fat intake as well -- but I'm a lot older than you (will be 65 this month) and have a history of heart disease on both sides of the family -- and also very careful of my salt intake because of the high blood pressure for which I already have to take two different meds.

The very best step that you have taken (and one I'm, still working on, albeit very slowly) for the control of diabetes is your efforts to lose weight. Since I've lost about 60 pounds, I've managed to get off insulin altogether and reduce my oral diabetes meds by approximately 1/3.

Good luck on your continuing journey to better health and fitness, Chickie.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 11:53 PM   #3  
nearly indestructible

S/C/G: 241/117/160

Height: 5'9

I'm glad to read this thread!

I was hospitalized several times for treatment for leukemia/stem cell transplant (full remission - 2 years now). They would always put me on the "diabetic" diet and my blood sugar levels would skyrocket. When I asked to have additional protein for breakfast (say a 2 or 3 egg white omelette) they'd tell me I would have to borrow from my lunch proteins.

I'm sorry, but they said I was allowed like 4-5 carbs for breakfast! Good grief it was awful. Finally I convinced my dr. to just put me on the normal diet and I'd make my own choices. It was only then that my blood sugar stabilized. Most hospitals are like this as well. After being in over 14 times, I heard that they were putting together a diabetic task force.

I can't do no carbs, but enjoyed working on the Schwartzbein Principle plan. (very interesting book on insulin resistance). Mostly lots of veggies, lean meats, good fats and complex carbs. I always look great, but it's a lot of meal preparation and a bit much if you are only cooking for one or two. But once you get used to it, it's like 2nd nature.

Good to hear about getting off insulin. I would love to get off of it as it's hard to regulate when you get back to working out full time at the gym. Ok. I'm off to read additional threads here.
JaneZoe is offline   Reply With Quote