Old 06-19-2007, 08:51 PM   #1  
Misfit

S/C/G: 264.5/238/150

Height: 5'6

Default Dr changed meds

HI all hope you are having a great week so far.

my Dr changed my meds today when I went to talk to him about what a nasty period I am having. He's *VERY* happy with the weight loss so far but I told him that the metformin just keeps making me nauseous so I don't want to take it anymore. The first thing he suggested was this glipizide so now I'm on 5mg once a day. The pharmacist says to take it with a meal because it does act rather quick but is long acting so might help with the nausea. Other than that, I have no knowledge of this stuff. Does anyone else have personal experience with this stuff? Is it a relatively weight-neutral drug so I don't have to struggle to get more weight off?

So I'm going to try it until my real appt on July 19th when he will test my a1c, etc and see how that goes. He thinks that maybe I could do the glip with a lower does of met. I think that might help keep my levels down in the am, right? I am excited and nervous to see what my levels will be by then. My blood pressure was 117 over 79 which is lower than it was before the contest started. Then his scale had me at 239, which normally weighs me higher than my home scale. I'm chalking that mini weight loss up to the PMS pills I'm taking this week but that's another story.

TIA

Missi
cmbmom05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 09:20 PM   #2  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

Ask about Byetta too. It is great for sugar control. And had a bonus of appetite supressant. I used to take it for IR and PCOS and i LOVED it. Lost my medicine coverage and it was too high to pay out of pocket w/o insurance. I miss it.
Get n healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 09:23 PM   #3  

Hi Missi.. i take both glucophage and glipizide..i dont notice any side affects for me and i have lost 28#'s since april but i think its more that im following ww and locarb- lofat and really trying hard to loose than the meds.. not saying that they wont affect your wt loss in some way diff than me, as we all know every diabetic is different..hope this helps some.. rosey
akrosey49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 09:37 PM   #4  
Misfit

I just don't want to take something that will stack the odds against me when I know I can lose weight on my own. My Dr said that it only carries a minimal impact which is great. I just don't want to get stuck fighting the same 2-3 lbs over and over and not see a difference in my sugar levels too. I am hoping to make sure that someone else didn't knotice a change in weight loss when they started it.

Thanks, Missi
Old 06-19-2007, 09:51 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

My husband was prescribed glipizide this year, and it hasn't made weight loss more difficult for him at all. He seemed to think it actually helped him lose weight, because he lost really well the first two weeks he was on it (but it was also very early on in our dieting, so it might have been coincidence).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 01:32 PM   #6  

Glipizide is a sulfonylurea drug. It works by stimulating the pancreas to produce more insulin, which then reduces the blood sugar levels. It can hinder weight loss depending on your sensitivity to insulin levels, because more insulin will increase the body's ability to store extra calories as fat.

Metformin on the other hand, works on the liver, reducing the amount of sugar put into the blood stream, and thus reducing the amount of insulin needed. A lot of people taking it find it easier to lose weight since it helps reduce insulin levels.
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 08:17 PM   #7  
Misfit

I have NO idea of my sensitivity to insulin unless I can use my gestational diabetes as experience because even with the insulin I used then, I ended up being 14lbs lighter postpartum then before I got PG. Then again, that was 5 years and I was 10lbs lighter for my starting weight than I am now. I'm thinking that if the added insulin didn't affect me much then hopefully it won't affect me now.

I guess I'll give the glip til the end of July to see if it has any negative effect. As long as I'm handling my food choices well and still kicking butt on the exercise/walking I should still lose. The plus side of the contest at work is that if I start gaining the weight back because the contest is over, people will notice and start talking. Talk about an incentive to keep losing

Thanks ladies!