Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 11-22-2006, 11:18 PM   #1  
RN

Smile Topamax experiences

Yesterday I started on Topamax to treat weight gain secondary to Lexapro. I am familiar with some of the literature on this drug, but I'd love to hear what real people have experienced. Are the side effects prevalent and horrible? Do they occur quickly, and do they last a long time or eventually go away?

Any input would be great!
flowerbunnylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 12:13 AM   #2  

S/C/G: S232/C208/G150

Height: 5'6"

I am on Topomax and Lexapro myself. (combo for bipolar) I have been on Topomax for about 4 or 5 years now. I can't remember having any harsh side effects from it. I do know that when I first started it, I did lose some weight. I do know that you do not what to ever just go off of it. It will cause severe headaches, unless you are properly weaned off the meds. I couldn't afford it at one time and stopped abruptly and ended up in the ER with pain in my head that no drugs could relieve. I don't ever want to relive that experience. I find that I have been on them for so long, the weight loss benefit has worn off for me. Just make sure you drink plenty of water, because they can cause kidney stones. Hope this is of some help.

Janice
Niecers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 12:35 AM   #3  
RN

Thanks for the response.

It's never safe to quit any med cold turkey, when it affects the brain. The consequences can be harsh.

I've been trying to drink a lot of water. How much have you been drinking? I keep waiting for some side effects, but none so far (knock on wood!). But I've only been taking this for a few days.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:46 AM   #4  

S/C/G: S232/C208/G150

Height: 5'6"

Sorry I haven't gotten back to you sooner. I drink about 8-10 glasses a day. I probably overdo it (that's me), but when the doctor told me kidney stones, I didn't want to take any chances. I would say if you haven't had any side effects by now, you probably won't. Just drink your water, and keep taking them as the doctor prescribes. Good luck. If anything, you should notice a major decrease in headaches.
Niecers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 08:51 PM   #5  
RN

I'm only up to 25mg twice a day. So far the only side effect I've noticed is the nasty taste with carbonated drinks. I'm not sure if it's too soon for the side effects to really kick in though.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:53 AM   #6  

Everyone's experience on any drug is going to be different.
Personally, I was in **** when I was on Topamax. It made me so sleepy all the time. I was on it for a week and was probably sleeping 15 hours a day. When I was awake, I felt awful, not at all like myself. I was off it in the first month, I felt so bad.
I'm glad that you are not experiencing any bad side effects, good luck!
northernstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 09:04 AM   #7  
RN

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernstar View Post
Everyone's experience on any drug is going to be different.
Personally, I was in **** when I was on Topamax. It made me so sleepy all the time. I was on it for a week and was probably sleeping 15 hours a day. When I was awake, I felt awful, not at all like myself. I was off it in the first month, I felt so bad.
I'm glad that you are not experiencing any bad side effects, good luck!
I hate hearing when people have such horrible side effects. I'm hoping that doesn't happen to me. I have enough problems these days! LOL

Take care.
Old 01-01-2007, 04:55 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 275/261/135

8 glasses of water a day is for people who weigh their normal weight. people are supposed to drink one half ounce of water per pound of body weight...so if you for example weigh 200 pounds...you are supposed to drink 100 ounces of water....not the 64 ounces that are needed for a normal weight person. People who take drugs that effect the kidneys...such as topamax...need to make sure that they are doing this on a daily basis. If you start feeling crapy.....drink more water...it usually helps me.
WeightNoMore2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 06:03 PM   #9  
RN

As a rule, we advise all patients to drink 2000-3000 ml of water per day, providing they are generally healthy. If they are cardiac or renal patients, etc., those rules change. So, I've been sticking to that. So far, so good (knock on wood!).
Old 01-01-2007, 09:38 PM   #10  
Mel

Hmmm....I missed this thread. I've been taking topomax for about 2 1/2 years for pain relief from fibromyalgia. I first started at 75 mg/day and was zonked. I had sudden muscle fatigue problems, body temp control problems, couldn't talk straight, and generally felt stupid. I've dropped down to 25 mg. before bed and all the problems went away. About a year ago, I started having intense dry mouth. Guess what? The topomax can slow down or shut down your salivary glands! That causes all sorts of dental and periodontal problems, but lemon water, sugarfree gum and very good dental self care and frequent professional care has kept the teeth in my mouth. I tried to stop using the med altogether, but was in too much pain and went back on.

It's not a med I like to be on....right now there aren't many alternatives.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 09:46 PM   #11  
RN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel View Post
Hmmm....I missed this thread. I've been taking topomax for about 2 1/2 years for pain relief from fibromyalgia. I first started at 75 mg/day and was zonked. I had sudden muscle fatigue problems, body temp control problems, couldn't talk straight, and generally felt stupid. I've dropped down to 25 mg. before bed and all the problems went away. About a year ago, I started having intense dry mouth. Guess what? The topomax can slow down or shut down your salivary glands! That causes all sorts of dental and periodontal problems, but lemon water, sugarfree gum and very good dental self care and frequent professional care has kept the teeth in my mouth. I tried to stop using the med altogether, but was in too much pain and went back on.

It's not a med I like to be on....right now there aren't many alternatives.

Mel
It's so sad that this drug seems so important to many people, yet is so hard on the body.

So far my side effects are altered taste with carbonated drinks, and I think I have some sleepiness during the day. I'm hoping that will resolve with longer use. Do you know if that sleepy side effect improves? I'm currently taking 25mg in the AM and 50mg in the PM.

I remember reading somewhere that it can affect the salivary glands, and have noted some excessive dry mouth off and on. Yikes! I'll have to watch out for that.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:16 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerbunnylove View Post
Yesterday I started on Topamax to treat weight gain secondary to Lexapro. I am familiar with some of the literature on this drug, but I'd love to hear what real people have experienced. Are the side effects prevalent and horrible? Do they occur quickly, and do they last a long time or eventually go away?

Any input would be great!

I was on it for two years in high school, and the only time I can remember from those years are when I see pictures. And if there aren't pictures, it didn't happen. I also lost a ton of weight and became underweight and had to gain it all back. So, it really sucked.
kbell20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 03:18 PM   #13  
little by little

S/C/G: 220/215/150

Height: Five foot two

I take Lexapro and for awhile I tried topamax. It made me very ill to the point where I was nauseous all the time so I stopped taking it. Usually I don't have any negative reactions to medications so I was surprised the Topamax affected me like it did.
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 04:21 AM   #14  
So Ready

I take 25mg in the morning and at bedtime for migraines. I lost a couple of pounds when I first started it. I often forget one of my daily doses, but luckily don't experience ill effects because of that. I get dry mouth, some minimal hair loss, the soda thing, fuzzy memory at times, and the worst one for me, tingling extremities (mostly hands).

None of these side effects are prohibitive or so uncomfortable that I've stopped taking the med. The alternative is certainly worse, as my headaches are incapacitating and occur much more often without the med.

Last edited by traceriffic; 12-05-2010 at 04:22 AM.
traceriffic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 06:01 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 171/105/105

Height: 5'4"

Hi!

I take a high dosage of Topamax. I have a history of seizures, so that's why I'm on it. I've been on it for quite some time. I'm now 4 years seizure-free! I also experience the sleepiness that others have mentioned, but I take another medication to counteract that. I'll take sleepiness over seizures though!
MrsLovett is offline   Reply With Quote