Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 08-14-2006, 10:12 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 238/199/150

Height: 5'5"

Any pics yet? Love the name
drake3272004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 10:28 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 152/140/125

Height: 5'7"

Congrats on your new dog! I LOVE german shepards! Like you've said, they do often require a strong hand and firm guidance from their owner. To help with this, I'd like to recommend a book. Have you heard of Cesar Millan - the "dog whisperer" on National Geographic? He's a "dog pshychologist" and helps train owners, as they are the ones who need the training in order to properly understand their dogs. He has helped a lot of celebrities like Oprah and Will and Jada Smith with their dog issue. He has a new book out....

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/030...343364?ie=UTF8

You can probably find it at the library. I picked it up the other day and skimmed it. It's not a how-to manual, but it provides some great insights into how to live with dominant dogs, such as a german shepard. Just a thought!

My grandparents had a german shepard named Shawnie when I was a kid. Shawnie was the most awesome dog ever. She was so sweet and gentle, yet protective of her family when needed. She NEVER bit anybody, but would growl and stare people down if strangers came too close to me and my sister when we were outside playing. One time my sister was sitting on a tall bar stool and fell off of the stool and Shawnie came running and acted as a pillow to cushion my sister's fall. She was one amazing dog. Sniff.

Anyway, good luck with Kia!
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 04:01 PM   #18  
Less is more.

S/C/G: 298/234/170

Animals always make things better. ^_^ they make me feel important. Because I need to feed them and bathe them and make sure they are healthy. It gives me responsibility.
Also, I noticed this for a while, pets like cats and dogs seem to know what you are upset. like my Beagle will sit at my feet and rest her head on my lap and just look at me. She never does this unless I happen to be feeling bad.

My Cat Fa-ying... she hates people and does not like to be petted untill she wants to ( loke most cats lol).. but whenever I fall into tears, she always jumps in my lap and curls up and purrs. or if I'm laying down crying she'll curl up on my legs. It's very comforting to think that they are trying to make you feel better and less alone.
Sakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 04:36 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 182/166/150

Height: 5'10"

I was so glad to read that you got your new pup Kia-- dogs are wonderful companions and great listeners!! You did a great thing getting her from a rescue group too. I always feel better when I'm with my dog, and the exercise is a bonus! Keep on her when she displays aggression, if you ever have a change to watch The Dog Whisperer on TV you can get some info about helping this behavior. Again, congratulations!

Last edited by hollycraft; 09-01-2006 at 04:37 PM. Reason: typo
hollycraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 07:54 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 170/166/150

Height: 5'8"

Hey,

Animals can be great for depression and stress relief. Especially when you treat them well and give them a lot of love.

You might be interested to know that some people have companion animals for depression the same way blind or disabled people have animals to help them live more independently. By going through the appropriate steps, some people can even get cards so they can take their pets with them whever they go.

My mother works in the disability community and apparantly she knows a man with a companion snake. (Although I don't believe he takes him around everywhere goes.)
Hale_Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 01:16 PM   #21  
I need buddies on MSN. D:

S/C/G: 240/159.5/140

Height: 5'6"

Lucky you! I'd love to have a dog to take jogging with me. And yeah if I were you I would watch The Dog Whisperer. That guy knows his stuff.
snuggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 03:41 PM   #22  
Candice on LAWL

S/C/G: 242/221/under 200!

Height: 5'6"

Congratulation on your new doggie! I have two parrots and they defintally bring alot of Joy to my life!
Candiflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 09:29 PM   #23  
Resident Witchling

S/C/G: 198/190/140

Animals of all kinds can be wonderful for depression...I have a rat named Puka, and I will get her out of her cage and she'll curl up on my shoulder while I'm working on things...it's the companionship, and the feeling that someone - no matter how small or fluffy - cares about you and needs you.
Nikaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 01:55 AM   #24  
Determined

Kate, I'm a nurse also and one of my friends is also a travel nurse and also has a german shepherd. I think it's even more important if you travel to have a constant, especially if you struggle with depression. I've struggled with depression, and though it's never been too intense or overwhelming, it has always helped me sooo much to have my babies. I have a puppy and four cats and it's so much fun!

Betheigh - the cat in your avatar looks a lot like my Zoe. Here's a pic of her:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2086.jpg (52.5 KB, 7 views)
happydaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 04:13 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 111/95/90 (kg)

Height: 5ft 6in

Ive got 2 cats and 2 dogs and they definately help, they give me love and affection when Im feeling down in the dumps. Dogs also motivate me to go out, as I have to walk them
kalijack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 05:00 PM   #26  

S/C/G: S:157/C:121/G:125

Height: 5'4"

Question:

I was thinking about getting a little dog a while ago, but my mom advised me against it. I live by myself, no boyfriend, not many friends. She thought it might cause me to focus on the pet instead of my interactions with other people. I guess, kind of the "crazy cat lady" type idea. She thinks that if I feel lonely, I should get out and interact with people and try to move my life forward in that way. Do any of you find that having a pet might negatively affect using the feeling of loneliness to get out and meet people?
Tara D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 05:14 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 238/199/150

Quote:
Question:

I was thinking about getting a little dog a while ago, but my mom advised me against it. I live by myself, no boyfriend, not many friends. She thought it might cause me to focus on the pet instead of my interactions with other people. I guess, kind of the "crazy cat lady" type idea. She thinks that if I feel lonely, I should get out and interact with people and try to move my life forward in that way. Do any of you find that having a pet might negatively affect using the feeling of loneliness to get out and meet people?
The thing with dogs, though, you would be out with it........cats don't generally go for walks. I have 4 ferrets and we go out with them, people are always coming over to see them and pet them! My kids LOVE dogs, can't have one right now, so they love on everyone elses...........everytime we go on an outing, we are sure to see a dog that the kids just have to ask to pet
drake3272004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 05:23 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 111/95/90 (kg)

Height: 5ft 6in

Dog walking is a great opportunity to make new friends, I go to a popular park with other dog walkers and have met loads of people, some of which i consider to be friends for life
kalijack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 08:04 PM   #29  
Resident Witchling

S/C/G: 198/190/140

Actually, dogs can be a great way to get out more. Most cities have a designated (formally or otherwise) "dog park". Dog owners bring their dogs, some on leash, some off. The dogs get to play together, and so do the people. I live in Santa Cruz, and here we have "dog beach" instead of a park - one little stretch of beach where the locals bring their dogs in the mornings and evenings. Also, think of obedience classes and stuff.

But I would never NOT get a pet because of something like that. The pure unconditional adoration of dogs is a wonderful balm for a bruised soul; there is nothing in the world like it.
Nikaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 08:11 PM   #30  
Bikini Season :)

hey there!!!

i got the same thing from people "you dont want to be the single woman with a dog..." and now im thinking of getting a second one so they can be friends and im getting it double now!!

the dog is seriously the best decision i've made - personally. i have a reason to go out multiple times a day when i would normally sit at home, stuff my face and sleep on the couch. dog parks have been great - you meet soooo many people. and if you want to be lazy - your dog wont let you. "mmooomm!! come play with me!!!!"

it has helped my depression a TON. he gets me up every morning, is so excited to see me walk in the door, playful antics and a happy wagging tail lift my spirits all the time. someone to talk to who wont complain about me talking out my problems.... - i would really support it as long as you have the time for a dog, your apartment lets you have one, and you are ready to dedicate yourself for the next 10-15 years to him.

{{update on Kia : (sorry i havent checked my own thread in way too long!!! i had to give her back to the rescue -- i was completely heartbroken. i couldnt take her in public near anyone. she was ssoooo protective she would lunge at children passing by. if she saw someone on the other side of the street she would stare people down and bark at them until they were out of sight. god forbid someone approach me!!! i tried everything but in the end gave her back to the rescue who moved her in with a doggie behaviorist. -- and instead -- adopted my baby Axel from the same rescue. he is a mostly black german shepherd with a notched ear and the best disposition ever!! as bad as i felt "trading in my first born".... -- he was without a doubt the best decision for me!!!
KateRN is offline   Reply With Quote