Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 10-22-2006, 10:45 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

I just finished reading "The Chemistry of Joy" & I am now thoroughly convinced that exercise is the road to salvation for us. I know I have heard exercise helps depression 100,000 times before but the way this doc explains it just makes so much sense.

So every day when I do not want to go to the gym I just tell myself: this is how you are going to get better. This has to be the #1 priority - even if it is all I get done that day.
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 12:38 PM   #17  
Once more, with feeling!

S/C/G: 235/ticker/135

Height: 5'4

I just wanted to add to all this, that exercise has dramatically helped my anxiety. I'm on medication and in therapy, but I was still having panic-attacks (both free-floating and stress induced) regularly. Since I started exercising or just getting some movement everyday, I have had 0 attacks. Not a single one!!! I still take my medication, but I haven't had to take my "emergency pills" (a tranqulizer that I would take at the start of an attack). And I'm sleeping at night, instead of having mini-attacks and worrying half the night away. *Knocks on wood* I don't know if it's the endorphins, or the exercise improving the effectivness of my meds, but it's working.

Depression and anxiety both run in my family (thanks a lot Mom and Dad! ), and for me they've always gone hand in hand with my low self-esteem, binge eating, and insecurity. I had to hit my rock bottom with all my issues to give me the sufficient to do what I've needed to do for years. I'm not "healthy" and "all better" yet, but I'm working on it!
KnitALisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 02:24 AM   #18  
uli

S/C/G: 85kg/68kg/65kg

Height: 170cm

Default It's possible

I just wanna share my own experience it's possible to lose both depression and weight.

Love Uli
uli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 03:04 AM   #19  

Hi Netty

It is a really tough cycle. The depression, extra weight, lack of motivation all conspire to make it even tougher!

For me exercise was the first positive step. It helps you feel better and gives you some extra energy. Also if you can get into the habit of doing it daily having a routine improves your mood.

There are lots of books that can be helpful for depression. The Chemistry of Joy (mentioned above) has some interesting information that may help some people. I did a review of it on my blog here (on the meditation section of the book) and here (on the different types of depression and some treatment ideas)

For your self esteem the best thing you can do is to set yourself some small tasks or goals to achieve. As you achieve in one area of your life it will increase your confidence in other areas of life. By setting a goal to walk 20-30 mins each day and achieving that over a period of a couple of weeks you will feel better. Then you can set other goals, like maybe learning something new at night school

You could try meditation and therapy which help a lot of people or you could find some self-help books to work through some things. There are lots of books on cognitive behavioural therapy that have some good exercises to work through.

Eating better does help your mood. It's not easy and you have to push thru the feelings of fatigue and demotivation but after a week or so you should start to notice some improvement

I have had depression and anxiety most of my life. I have never successfully beaten it with meds but by learning to change the way I think and learning "emotional intelligence" and better coping skills I have managed to get on top of things. You can too
sweet_pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 05:14 PM   #20  
Isa from Chile

S/C/G: 181/181/132

Height: 5.4

Weight i think i can beat. But depression not, is a long life battle for me and i don`t think it will be never over
ravotrina is offline   Reply With Quote