Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 05-06-2006, 12:06 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 130/130/112

Default Teenager in need of some help, please read on

Hey, So I'm 17 and have been trying to lose five-ten pounds for over a year, you would think that little amount of weight would be easy, especially since I'm young. But the harder it got the more I obsessed over the fact that I couldn't do it, I tried food and exercise diaries, low carb, calorie cycling, blah blah. I've been going through some rough times with my family so that could have put strain on the issue. Since easter I decided I was trying so hard and my weight wasn't changing so I just sort of gave up for a bit. I binged, I endulged, I felt guilty and gross, I gained ten pounds. It frustrates me that all this time I spent trying to lose ten pounds, and in one month I GAIN ten. How is this possible? I'm not "fat" I am just pudgy and now none of my summer clothes are fitting. My weight really upsets me and I feel so sick of it, all of it, I just want someone to fix me 3 meals a day and baby me through the whole thing, but I don't have that option (no one really does I guess) My mom tries to help but she really doesn't know what to do and she often just ends up getting upset at me for getting upset at her (I get upset because I'm so frustrated and I just want her to fix it but I know she can't, it's all on me) I wonder if I have a thyroid problem... My mom said she would set up and appointment with my doctor and if my doctor recomends it a nutritionalist. I am going to ask about some prescription help, because I feel like if I'm very careful going on and off it, it could help me become more comfortable in my skin, and be confident like I was befor I gained all this weight. I actually would like to go on Adderral, because I have friends who are on it and they say it is a huge appetite suppressent, which is just what I need because I am ALWAYS hungry, despite the fact that I typically eat good protein, complex carbs, fruits, veggies, lots of water, etc. I also work out pretty regularly (we have an elliptical I use, I enjoy bikram yoga, I play tennis, I like cycle and group classes at the gym) I typically workout 2-6 times a week depending on my homework and work schedual. With summer coming I would like to drop 15 or so pounds ASAP, but know that weight loss is a slow process. What really worries me is the fact that I havent really ever been able to lose weight and now I have even more to lose! Also I'm considering a breast reduction (but want to lose weight first) I'm a 30DD.

I'm sorry for venting but I feel so frustrated and overwhelmed by my body, any tips, what do you think the doctor will say?
bizarrebara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 01:44 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 156/121/goal weight

Hi bizarrebara,

It sounds like you're really struggling with your body image. I've never had a great body image but when I get depressed my weight seems to pervade my thoughts and I become preoccupied with how fat I am. I still hate my body, but I have learnt not to think about it so much, otherwise it gets me down and I just think oh well I'm overweight anyway, might as well eat more/ not exercise. I then feel powerless to change.
I would really recommend seeing a dietician. They can tailor a plan that works for you, and they can help you to maintain your weight once you've lost it. They'll also be able to set realistic goals for you.
As for the doctor I would see what he says, and I he'll be able to tell you what's suitable.
You dont have a huge amount to lose, so try not to be too hard on yourself and to put it in perspective. This can be hard, but try to think of other things in your life that you are good at and remember you are a worthwhile person, and that you have friends and family who love you.
Good luck!
Jay
jayarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 02:15 AM   #3  
~Believe~

S/C/G: XXX/-155/140

Height: 5'3

I agree with Jay. Stick with the dr. and the dietician. They can help you and do it the healthy and safe way.

Stay Strong.

*Flady*
Sassy_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 03:39 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 165/141/125

Hey Bara, I thought I would respond to this because I've been almost exactly where you are. I'm 22 now but when I was a little younger than you I was obsessed with getting down to what I thought was an ideal weight. My advice to you is quit weighing yourself first of all. 130 pounds is a perfectly healthy weight but I do understand if you're still not happy with your body. Make sure you're not judging yourself against super models. There's nothing wrong with eating healthy but try to avoid "diets" because the frame of mind you are in you may go overboard. When I was about 15 I started eating about half of what I should and it is not healthy. I think primarily what you're wanting to do is change your body and to do that you need to work out more than anything. If you don't have access to a gym start working out at home. Walking or riding your bike too. Don't expect to see the changes right away it takes time. Above all remember that you are beautiful because of who you are and not because of what size your jeans are. Definately talk to someone about how you are feeling, such as a counselor at your school because eating disorders are very common in girls your age.
KriWes is offline   Reply With Quote