Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 04-06-2006, 09:56 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Height: 5'3"

Hey Tracy,
I'm really rushed this morning and apologize for this short post but I just saw your post and wanted to mention something briefly.

Everything that you mentioned in your first post can be symptoms of a thyroid problem. I had to learn all of this the very hard way, but wanted to encourage you to read the info posted here in the "Depression Articles" thread at:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...t=49146&page=3

and also at http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com...ema-craziness/

Please let me know if I can help in any way with any of the info. I would be more than glad to help if I can.
thanks,
Cathy
cathyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 09:57 AM   #17  

WOW! Lots to read this morning. This is a good thing because the weather is going to get pretty ugly here at some point today. So this may keep my busy for a little while. It is blah enough out side already today. This may be a long day.

Marcie - Thanks! I will go and read your PM as soon as I finish up here on this board.

Misti in Seattle - Hi. I had my thyroid checked about a year ago. They ran some tests because I have not been able to lose weight. They did a few tests and all that came back (so they told me anyway) was that my sugar was high... pre-diabetic. Maybe they should test me again though!

campbellredhead, Jamie, & Aphil (and all) - I was thinking about seeing a counselor. My parents (I am almost 33 years old lol, but I lack regular medical insurance) said they would even pay for my visits!! However, there is quite a catch to it. Which is what is kind of holding me back.

Here is the story - in short because it is a bit long. My parents are moving to Arkensas (sp?) and they want us to go down there to visit and they want to take my kids down there without me and my husband to visit. Well, my husband and I said no because of a few reasons - 1. We cannot financially afford to travel, 2. I do not like to go places I don't know, 3. I don't like to go where there are more storms (yeah - bazaar I know), 4. I don't want my kids that far away from me for any period of time! (My son is on several medicines daily for asthma which makes me nervous too).

Needless to say my parents said they would make me a deal... they would pay for my counseling BUT I would have to agree to let them take my kids to Arkensas (sp?) for the summer etc. For me that is just to much pressure! And I don't know if I can possibly make a promise like that! Heck, as far as I feel personally, I will never go to Arkensas (sp?) to even see there house!!

Also, my mom picked out this one counselor in this group I found. This counselor helps you learn to make friends and so forth. So she wants me to see this person specifically. Just because my friends are online (I have a few friends online in other states - had them for a long while now) my mom feels that I don't have friends! Because I don't go out every week to play cards (or have people over to my home) or whatever I don't have friends. I don't think this is an issue for me. I am fine with the friends I have.

Anyway, I have been thinking a lot about counseling. I know it is going to take more then medications to make things better. I do not just want to mask any issues I am having. God knows I have more then I could imagine I am sure! I am going to look further into this though. Maybe I can find a counselor that takes the state medical card. I am keeping my fingers crossed because doing this with my parents does not seem healthy to me.

Thank you all so very much for all of your support here!! I sure do appreciate it. It is so nice to be able to talk to others about issues like these. I really did not want to join another message board and figure out how to use them to and stuff just to talk about this with others with the same issues. I think this is very helpful for all of us.
TMunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 10:03 AM   #18  

Tracy - you and I were posting at the same time. I just want to be sure you see the info in my post.

and Tracy - I just want to mention - that I do not think there is anything wrong with a mom who does not want her kids to go to another State (even with their grandparents) for the summer. I would not have been willing to do that and I don't need counseling I might have let them go for a week or two but not the whole summer. What ages are your kids?

I do understand that you have anxiety issues and that your family probably feels that those anxieties are keeping you from letting your kids go - making it an issue with them - but I'm just saying - that some (like me) without anxiety issues would feel the same way about it and not let their kids go for the whole summer.

hugs,
Cathy

Last edited by cathyxxx; 04-06-2006 at 10:14 AM.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:30 AM   #19  

Cathy,

Sorry I have not replied to your message. When I seen your first post I went directly to the thyroid site you put in the message. I have been reading that. Thank you so much for sending that information. As I read the site it makes more and more since to me. This will also be mentioned to my doctor when I see him!

Thank you also for being so understanding about my feelings about sending my kids to another state. I could not even handle that for one day!!! But I think that is a stepping stone that I am going to have to learn to walk on comfortably because one day my kids will be grown and want to move out on there own! My son is 14 (will be 15 in July), and my daughters are 11 and 7. I don't have a lot of time to learn because they do grow up quickly. But I am sure willing and wanting to take the first step. Unfortionately the first step is not going to be what my parents want it to be. This is going to take time and patients and understanding from my family. I hope they all (my husband understands it) realize that and don't pressure me to much.

Everyone - Sorry if my posts today are jumpy and don't make to much since. It is very cloudy and windy here and storms are coming. So I am jumpy myself. But I am trying to keep my mom online instead.
Old 04-06-2006, 11:06 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 208/191/135

Completely true Misti. I have lived and been diagonsed with many different mental disorders such as panic/anxiety disorder, severe depression, OCD, bipolar disorder and extreme parinoia(sp?). It got so awful a couple of times that I begged to be put in a hospital and just wanted to die because of my mind spinning out of control. I am now better but when it was the worst was when my thyroid was out of whack. As much as I fear medication I took it for a year for my thyroid. But then I started feeling bad again. I went and had it rechecked and it had straightened out and there was no need for medication. So by it being off balance again it messed me up again. Every since I came off of the meds this last time my thyroid has been in check and things have been great. But it could have alot of effect on how you feel. You just have to keep a close watch on it. Get on a forum about thryoid problems and you will see that the number 1 problem everyone has is they feel like they are going crazy.
branbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 11:12 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 208/191/135

By the way usually your PCP will only check your TSH levels to see if your thyroid is messed up. However, they cannot always tell if it is messed up by just checking your TSH levels. Sometimes there needs to be more testing involved to truely tell. I had to go see an endocronoligist(sp?) for this.
branbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 11:24 AM   #22  

Amazing! You would think doctors would know all of this!!! After reading the site Cathy sent and all of the posts about thyroid issues it really makes me wonder!! All my doctor did was take some blood and test it. I am thinking maybe it should be retested. They tested me for thyroid because I was trying to lose weight (still trying!!!) but I keep losing and gaining the same 5 pounds! They said it appears I was eating well, exercising (at that time) well and everything else! But then they came back and just said sugars were high basically. I think I am going to get re-checked. Something has got to give! And if my doctor don't want to provide the service to find the problems then I will have to go else where.

Thanks a million!
Old 04-06-2006, 12:23 PM   #23  

Hey Tracy - I really hope the info will be helpful to you. It has been for MANY!!!!!

Just want to encourage you to bring the list of the exact thyroid tests that need to be done. Normally, most docs do not run the more accurate thyroid tests that can actually find the problem UNLESS you specifically request the tests.

You can find the exact list at
http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com...ended-labwork/

Most good docs will run whatever tests you ask for. But there are some that are stubborn and say "not necessary". You may have to shop around OR request your own blood work thru healthcheckusa.com

hugs,
Cathy
Old 04-06-2006, 01:30 PM   #24  

Cathy -

Awesome! Thanks for pointing these tests out. I wrote all of the tests down so I can carry it with me when I see my doctor. Hopefully I will get some results.

I am thinking about asking them what the last test (blood work) was that they did exactly. This way I can see which one it was and so on.

Thanks again! I do appreciate it.
Old 04-06-2006, 01:41 PM   #25  

Tracy - you can ask your doctor's office for a copy of your last bloodwork - and/or all the bloodwork they've done on you - and they should give you a copy. It is YOUR bloodwork. I suggest that everyone always get copies of their bloodwork so that you can see exactly what was done and how your results are in the range. Also then you have it to compare to bloodwork that is done in the future.
hugs,
Cathy
Old 04-06-2006, 04:41 PM   #26  

I am thinking about asking for a copy of my entire file. If I do end up going to another doctor they will want my history anyway. But I have a feeling it won't be that easy to get this, and if I do get it, they may charge me for it. I am not sure though. I might have to check on this. Just in case I do end up going elsewhere for my care.
Old 04-06-2006, 06:12 PM   #27  
Hot Mama

Tracy-Your mom sounds a lot like mine. Basically it's a control issue. They hold the money out, but to accept it, you have to do things their way. They may think they have your best interests in heart, but you need to be able to make your own decisions, and pick your own therapist. I'm sure that with a little research, you can find someone who accepts a state card, or does reduced fees. I started therapy in Jan of this year, and it has been really wonderful. But I think if you make this deal with your parents, you will end up resenting them, and feeling out of control. They seem like they're being a bit unreasonable. I know I would not send my kids to their grandparents for the summer! Esp. if one is on meds and you feel you need to be there. That sounds like it would be a major stressor, worrying all the time. So, sorry if I seem a bit pushy. I have just experienced this same thing myself with my parents.
Marciet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 06:24 PM   #28  

Marcie -

Boy did you ever hit the nail right on the head!! Your right! It is either my parent's way or its the highway. They have money and I don't... and yes, they use that against me often. But I do feel I will regret this big time if I follow through with this agreement. I think it will eat me alive until I completely lose it. So I think I am going to do some research. There has to be some counselor out there somewhere that accepts the state card!!! Even if it is a needle in a hay stack, I am bound and determined, I will find them! If not... like you said, there has to be someone out there that will work with me and take reduced fees or something. I will find some kind of help some how. I didn't even think of trying this! I am so glad you mentioned it! Thanks a million!! Did you get my PM?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I think I am on my way to a clearer mind. Grant it, it will take time, patients, and lots of hard work. But each step is a step in the right direction. Even if I take one step back I have to get up and keep going forward.

Thanks so much. I do feel better since I started posting this here on the boards.
Old 04-07-2006, 01:01 AM   #29  

I want that baby!!!!!!!!!!

L
liz321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 01:06 AM   #30  

Height: 5'8.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathyxxx
Hey Tracy,
Everything that you mentioned in your first post can be symptoms of a thyroid problem.
Cathy
EXACTLY!!!!!!

And my doctor willingly ran some extra tests that I wanted even though she had not planned to do so. A good doctor will see you through and help you to feel confident things are right.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote