Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 01-17-2006, 02:33 PM   #1  

Red face Sex question! Beware of TMI!!

I took Lexapro from March of 2005 until August/Sept (Don't remember which) of 2005. The whole time I took it I was HORNY ALL THE TIME..... I mean, like, "give it to me, and do it NOW!" I thought maybe this was related to the circumstances surrounding my life at the time (won't go into all of that) because when I left those circumstances (and quit taking Lexapro at the same time), the desire went away.

I'm no longer depressed, per se, but because of some anger issues I have begun taking Lexapro again. I've been taking it for a month this time and, lo and behold, IT'S BACK!!!! It's like my husband and I have reversed roles--I want it ALL THE TIME again!

Has anyone else gone through this with Lexapro? I asked my brother--who also takes it-- and he says it does exactly the opposite to him. Am I just weird (or lucky?)?

Cheryl
4myloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 08:52 AM   #2  

Well, I thought this was a legitimate question/problem.....

Guess I'm the only one who has gone through this.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:56 AM   #3  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

You sure got a lot of people reading it though! Sorry I can't help but I am envious!
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 09:33 AM   #4  
prepare for the BEST time

OK, I'll jump in too.....I was on 3 different anti-depressants 2 years ago, (nothing now)......I'm very fond of sex on a daily basis...(hey, it's good for your skin!) My sex-drive remained high, BUT....

While on Zoloft, it was awful because I couldn't CLIMAX, I'd get right to the edge and NOTHING. How come they don't tell you this is a side-effect?
marbleflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 11:16 AM   #5  

Well, I have trouble climaxing even w/o the meds (my husband is the only man I've ever been able to "get there" with), but I enjoy sex.

While I'm taking Lexapro, though, I just WANT it more. I mean, usually I'm fine with or without it, but now I need it.

I guess it's because I'm normally more stressed out than I realize and being w/o the stress overrides the "normal" side effects of this medication? I've not spoken w/my doctor about it since I was diagnosed w/clinical depression. At the time he told me I'd probably suffer a decreased sex drive (boy was he wrong ).

Like I said, it's not really a problem with/for me--I just wondered if I am "normal."

Thank you Ruth and Marbleflys for responding.

Cheryl
Old 01-18-2006, 11:25 AM   #6  
Getting back on track

Height: 5' 9"

Had the same problem with Zoloft as above, had Cheryl's problem at first on Prozac, but that tapered off to normal.
icmethinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 01:01 AM   #7  

envy envy envy

haven't been on lexapro and am thinking i should demand it. all other meds dampen my sex drive. think yourself lucky i should say. either that or consider that maybe you are bipolar not depressed??? did anything else change at that time
sweet_pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 08:51 AM   #8  

I haven't taken lexapro, but when I was on Paxil it turned me into a madwoman. I don't remember much from the month that I was on paxil. It made me crazy. During sex, I would laugh maniacally and it would really scare my husband. Back then they diagnosed me with depression. I've since found out that I have Bipolar II which is why I was stuck in a manic state. I would've never gotten off of the medication if it weren't for my husband. I didn't even know anything was wrong with me and I'm glad that I don't remember most of the things that I did.

But yeah...depression medications are known for decreasing or increasing one's sex drive. I think it all has to do with the individual. My mother took zoloft and almost had a stroke. She is a very fit, healthy person and experienced symptoms pretty quickly. The doctors still aren't sure why it happened to her. On the other hand, my MIL took zoloft for a while and it improved her quality of life.
honey-dipped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 09:31 AM   #9  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Boy, I'm jealous (so is my DH).

I can't say I've ever had that problem. Does it bother you ? I mean is it getting in the way of things? if so, I would talk to your doctor.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 10:31 AM   #10  

The only time MY sex drive was low were the years I was married to my x-husband.......(what does that tell you?). My hairdresser swears that people who have more sex have hair that grows faster.....
Old 01-19-2006, 12:08 PM   #11  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Quote:
Originally Posted by marbleflys
The only time MY sex drive was low were the years I was married to my x-husband.......(what does that tell you?). My hairdresser swears that people who have more sex have hair that grows faster.....
Me Too!!!!!!!!!!! and you know the hair thing, I think its true....even my dh has a more hair on his head!!! Even his granddaughter mentioned it...hey grampa you have more hairs here! it was cute.
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 02:18 PM   #12  

Hmmmmm...... Maybe that's why I haven't been able to keep my bangs out of my eyes lately

Well, wanting more sex is definately not a problem for me--I had gotten to the point where I thought I could take it or leave it. My DH is definately happier with the change, even though he can't really understand it. What's weird (or "the weird part of it") is when I'm just doing everyday things like driving or typing on the computer or eating lunch and I'm just HIT with the urge!

It really reminds me of when I was about 14-15 and just hitting puberty and thinking about it all the time!
Old 01-19-2006, 02:26 PM   #13  

maybe it's NOT the Lexapro.....maybe you are hitting your.......*Sexual Peak* earlier...... or maybe you just feel good about your life.

Unless you are being obsessive (like dragging hubby into the trunk of the car while fetching groceries) just enjoy it....it's calorie free, makes your skin look good and makes your hair grow!
Old 01-19-2006, 03:29 PM   #14  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Now you know how young boys feel LOL !!!!

Marble... sexual peak? huh? At what age does this usually happen for women lol.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 03:51 PM   #15  

Leenie, i DO prefer young men.....( call me Marykate....) just joking...

Supposedly women "peak" in thier late 30s or early 40s? I read this trivia someplace......

MY personal peak came right after my divorce....and it gets stronger as I lose more weight.... I think it's a visual thing for me, I don't like to be larger & cut off thier airway passage, it kind of removes the romance.....

oh, and I've been divorced since 1986