3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Depression and Weight Issues (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/depression-weight-issues-76/)
-   -   Depression Articles (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/depression-weight-issues/49146-depression-articles.html)

LindaT 06-17-2003 03:27 PM

Depression Hits One in Six Americans, Study Finds - Article

Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice and no guarantee is made against accuracy.

Please see your physician before taking advice found on the internet. Ask your doctor before starting any diet. You may have a medical condition which limits your choices.

Studies have shown that all diets work equally, whether low fat or low carb - if you stick to them. Don't be afraid to experiment until you find a diet plan that fits your lifestyle and tastes.

Depression Hits One in Six Americans, Study Finds

By Maggie Fox, Health and Science Correspondent

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Sixteen percent of Americans -- more than 30 million people -- will suffer major depression at some point in their lives, costing employers more than $30 billion in lost productivity, U.S. researchers reported on Tuesday.

"Major depression is now the No. 1 leading cause of disability in the general population across the world," Kathleen Merikangas of the National Institute of Mental Health told a news conference.

The survey she reported, of more than 9,000 adults across 48 states, suggested that about 13 million Americans, or more than 6 percent, had an episode of major depression in the last year.

Only about half get any kind of treatment, and only half of them get the right treatment, the survey found.

"The impact that we found in our survey is absolutely dramatic. It affects jobs, marriage, parenting," Merikangas said.

Half the patients had severe depression, as defined by the American Psychiatric Association, and it lasted an average of four months.

Her team's study was one of several published in a special issue of the Journal of the American Medical Association (news - web sites). They found that patients and doctors alike were failing to recognize depression.

"Many people don't know that they can get help," Merikangas said. Both drugs and counseling have been shown to help depression.

A DISEASE OF YOUNG ADULTS

Depression becomes less common as people get older and perhaps adjust to their lot in life, the survey found. "It appears that major depression is more common in young adults," Merikangas said.

"We found increased rates of depression as well among those who are poor and less-educated," Merikangas added. The numbers may be even higher, she said, as the survey did not include homeless people or those in institutions.

Women, in particular, were vulnerable to depression. "Women who have children, women who are poor, and women who have little social and financial support," she said.

The symptoms of depression range from feelings of hopelessness and loss of appetite to trouble sleeping. "People with depression feel like they are in a black hole from which they can't escape," Merikangas said.

Depression is the leading cause of suicide.

A separate survey by Walter Stewart and colleagues of the Outcomes Research Institute at Geisinger Health Systems in Danville, Pennsylvania, found the costs of depression affected more than just the patients and their families.

His team interviewed 1,190 working adults and found that 9.4 percent of all workers currently have some form of depression.

They lose, on average, 5.6 hours of work each week, as compared to 1.5 lost hours due to illnesses among non-depressed workers.

"While depression is not the most common illness among working populations, it is probably the most costly," Stewart said.

Half the lost work time comes while employees are at work -- a situation dubbed "presenteeism." The depressed employees, who filled out diaries while at work, wasted more time and worked less efficiently than others, Stewart found.

Tippy 06-17-2003 07:13 PM

In the latest Readers Digest there is an interesting article about children and depression. I recommend it.

cathyxxx 06-18-2003 09:29 AM

Linda thanks so much for posting this article!

A couple of years ago I really don't think I understood "depression" too much. I think in the back of my mind, I thought that if people would just eat right and exercise and pray and spend time with God, that they could get over feeling "blue". I did not understand that depression was more than "feeling blue".

But I have had to learn the hard way, that it is not something that people can "just get over" anymore than someone can just get over sugar diabetes or some other illness. Most times, there is a biological chemical imbalance at the base of clinical depression. Sure we all feel "blue" at times, but that is not depression.

Tippy, thanks for mentioning the Reader's Digest article - I will definitely check it out!

It is always good to hear from you guys - we miss you both!
hugs, Cathy

lynnie24 07-20-2003 10:36 PM

I always like to read the articles on depression because I suffer from it.I have since I was 12.I am 27 now. So its interesting to read how they are finding out more and more.

Jillzeebean 09-13-2003 05:47 PM

sad

Hi, I am almost 38 years old, I have battled depression on and off pretty much my whole life. When I am happy, I can't believe I will ever feel bad again. When I get down, I can't imagine ever seeing the light of day again. Right now I am so low, even on antidepressants, that I wish I was super old and almost dead. That sounds awful, I don't really want to die, I just want the horrid weight of sadness to end. I miss laughing, I feel crushed and defeated. It seems like a person can take just so much rejection, I lost my husband, my job, a cat that was always there for me. OUch!! I can't feel sorry for myself, everyone has losses, it just seems as if there are no positives anymore. Gratitute backfires, whenever I feel grateful for something, I lose it. I loved my job, I was grateful for it, now it is gone. Has anyone found a way to rise above depression? Is there a way to see the sunshine again? I don't want to bring others down, sorry for whining. Just want to see if anyone can relate to the awful depression that is smashing me.

cathyxxx 10-02-2003 03:19 PM

Jill, I am so sorry that I did not see your post before today. I'm sure others didn't see it also.

Having a son with a chemical imbalance I certainly understand the ups and downs that seem to go along with it. I can only hope that you are feeling better then you did at the time you posted this message.

I don't really know what to say, but wanted you to know that I care, and that I'm sorry for your pain! I'm sure there are many people that can relate to the awful depression that you are feeling!

You may need to try a different anti depressant if you are feeling this low often. Sometimes they just "poop out" and you have to try another one. Also are you doing the other things you need to do to take care of yourself? eating healthy? exercising? getting rest? getting out and about? spending time with other people? (you know the normal things that we all need to do)?

I pray that you will see the sunshine Jill! There is always hope! There is ALWAYS hope! There is always HOPE!

((((((hugs)))))))
Cathy

Leenie 10-24-2003 11:01 AM

Therapy Articles (Light, etc.)

Here's an article I found.... don't know if its true b/c I haven't researched it enough...but I think the general idea is here:

What is Light Therapy?
Light therapy involves the use of a light source designed to affect the body as the sun would affect it if there were sunlight available. Light Therapy (or phototherapy) is a non-evasive, non-medication therapy recognized by the National Institutes of Mental Health and American Psychiatric Association as a viable therapy using light as the primary tool to treat conditions such as seasonal affective disorder (SAD), depression, dysthymia, manic depression, lethargy, obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD), bulimia nervosa, and secondary symptoms (e.g., Sundowner's Syndrome) associated with Alzheimer's disease.

Light therapy is called alternative but it has been used for years. Putting newborn babies under intense light is a routinely prescribed way to treat jaundice. Exposing people to carefully timed bright lights can reset the biological clock, helping people overcome jet lag or cope with the stresses of shift work.

Today, even conventional doctors are accepting these and other therapeutic uses of light therapy .

What is Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)? Everyone gets "the winter blues." So, what's different about SAD?

Many people complain about feeling down, having less energy, putting on a few pounds, and having difficulty getting up in the morning throughout the dark short days of winter. People suffering from SAD experience these and other symptoms to such a degree that they feel unable to function normally. They often feel chronically depressed and fatigued, and want to withdraw from the world and to avoid social contacts. They may increase their sleep by as much as four hours or more per day; have greatly increased appetite, often accompanied by irresistible cravings for sweet and starchy food, and gain a substantial amount of weight. Women frequently report worsening of premenstrual symptoms. People with SAD suffer in the extreme the kinds of changes which others may suffer to a much lesser degree in wintertime. An individual SAD sufferer, however, need not show all the symptoms described above. Sleep duration, for example, may be normal, while carbohydrate craving may be extreme, or vice versa. Sometimes a symptom in the cluster is actually opposite the norm, such as insomnia as opposed to excessive sleep. Recent studies indicate that about five times as many people may suffer from "winter doldrums," a subclinical level of SAD, as suffer at the level of clinical severity. These people notice the return of SAD-like symptoms each winter, and are bothered by them, but remain fully functional. As many as 25% of the population at the middle-to-northern latitudes of the United States experience "winter doldrums."

How does light therapy work?

Exposure to bright light effects changes in a person's circadian rhythms. Thousands of people find relief through bright light therapy, although the physiological mechanism is still uncertain. Such exposures suppress the secretion of melatonin (which makes us sleepy), and increase the secretion of seratonin (which keeps us alert and full of energy), but which of these influences are the primary mechanism is not yet known.

What intensity and duration is most effective?

Light therapy involves exposure to intense levels of light under controlled conditions. Our technologically advanced lightbox is set up on a table or desktop at which one can sit comfortably for the treatment session. Treatment consists simply of sitting close to this light. Looking at the light is not necessary or recommended; rather people are free to engage in such activities as reading, writing, relaxing, using the computer, watching television, or eating meals. What is important is to orient your head and body toward the light, concentrating on activities illuminated by the lights, and not on the lights themselves. Treatment sessions can last from fifteen minutes to three hours, once or twice a day, depending on individual needs. The time of day for light therapy is an important factor. Many people with winter depression respond best to treatment early in the morning. However, people who wish to stay up later will want to use the lightbox early in the evening. Two standard intensities are indicated: 5,000 lux for an average of one to two hours, or 10,000 lux for an average of 30 minutes to one hour. Intensity can be changed simply by moving closer or further away from the light. Regular use and experimentation will determine the optimum time of day for each individual.

What has research shown?

Researchers at medical centers and clinics in the USA, Canada, and other countries around the world have had much success with light therapy in many hundreds of patients with clear histories of SAD for at least several years. Marked improvement is usually observed within four of five days, if not sooner. Symptoms usually return in about the same amount of time when the lights are withdrawn. Most users maintain a consistent daily schedule beginning, as needed, in fall or winter and usually continuing until spring, when outdoor light becomes sufficient to maintain good mood and high energy. Some people can skip treatment for between one to three days, but most notice the effects almost immediately if treatment is interrupted.

Are there any side-effects?

Side effects have been minimal. People occasionally report eye irritation and redness which can be alleviated by sitting further away from the light. Using a humidifier to counteract the dryness of winter air indoors may also help. The most dramatic side effect, and one which occurs infrequently, is a switch from a lethargic state to a state of over-activity. In such instances, cutting back the amount of daily timed exposure to the light usually helps. If not, getting the guidance of a physician skilled in the use of light therapy is advised.

When are the lights contra-indicated?

People with a history or family history of Bipolar Disorder should exercise caution. Bright light therapy has been known to serve as a trigger for manic eposides. Research studies exclude patients with ocular or retinal pathology (for example, glaucoma, cataracts, retinal detachment, retinopathy) and those who might be at risk (for example, predisposing factors of diabetes). No adverse effects of light therapy has been found in eye examinations of SAD patients to date.

Can the lights be combined with antidepressant medication?

People who have received partial benefit from antidepressants often begin light therapy without changing drug dose. If there is a quick improvement, it is then sometimes possible to reduce the dosage or withdraw the drugs under clinical supervision, while maintaining improved mood and energy. Some patients find a combination of light and drug treatment to be most effective (particularly with Prozac & Zoloft). Some antidepressant drugs and antibiotics, however, are known or suspected to be photosensitizers which may interact with the effect of light in the retina of the eyes. Users of these drugs should therefore check with their medical practitioner or pharmacist before commencing light treatment.

Do lightboxes work for people with major clinical depression, too?

Statistics show that approximately 5-9% of the population suffer from depression. Of those, over half go undiagnosed, and of the remaining half, less than 15% will receive adequate treatment. In an article written by Jeff Kelsey, M.D. recently published in Healthline Magazine, major depression costs the U.S. economy over 40 billion dollars per year, of which only 28% represents the expense of treatment. Females are twice as likely as males to develop depression during their lives, and experience has found that in general, being able to explain a reason for depression is rarely an effective treatment. In the past, antidepressants have been the treatment of choice, often in conjunction with psychotherapy. Where one antidepressant was not enough, two different varieties were often prescribribed to be taken together. Results were not typically seen until the 4th week. Today, however, research is questioning the efficacy of antidepressants altogether after a study by Irving Kirsch, Ph.D., published in Prevention and Treatment, the journal of the American Psychological Association, showed that the beneficial effects of antidepressants only outweighed placebos by 25%. In other words, 75% of the patients responded as well to the placebos as the control group did to the actual antidepressant. Additionally, a growing number of patients are becoming discontent with the results of their antidepressants. It is thus timely that new research shows light therapy to be a viable alternative to antidepressants, thus providing patients with many new options.

According to Daniel Kripke, MD, director of the Circadian Pacemaker Laboratory at the University of California, San Diego, "Light may produce antidepressant benefits within 1 week, in contrast to psychopharmacological treatments, which typically take several weeks." In a review of clinical trials, Kripke determined that bright light therapy for nonseasonal major depression produced statistically significant net reductions in mood symptoms of about 12-35% on the Hamilton Depression Rating Scale. He noted those results were comparable with those obtained in major trials of antidepressant medications.
Many doctors now recommend patients use light therapy (lightboxes) in conjunction with their antidepressant (notably Prozac and Zoloft) regimen, and they are getting excellent results. "Light and medications appear to work best in combination," Kripke said, adding that combined treatment should also equal lower costs due to faster improvement and less disability.
Light therapy has a strong advocate in Anna Wirz-Justice, PhD, professor of psychiatry at the University of Basel in Switzerland, who is quoted in an article from The Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) as saying, "Light is as effective as antidepressant medications are, perhaps more so." Indeed, several European hospitals have already begun to administer light therapy for depression.
A controlled study on nonseasonal depression is currently underway at Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center in New York City. The study will once again investigate the efficacy of bright light treatment for nonseasonal depression.
Can light therapy help people who have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS)?

Depression, joint pain, and fatigue are the 3 most debilitating symptoms of CFS. In one case study, Dr. Raymond Lam of Vancouver, discovered light therapy alleviated a patient's depression as well as her joint pain; in other cases, improvement has focused mainly on mood and sleep. Clinical trials of light therapy for CFS patients have now become a priority, particularly in light of the fact that to date, successful treatment interventions remain elusive.

Will insurance cover the cost?

Many insurance companies have reimbursed the purchase price of Ott bioLightboxes for the treatment of SAD, PMS, Major Clinical Depression, sleep disorders and circadian imbalances relating to shift work. Eligibility will depend on your individual contract and the current policy of your medical insurer. You are advised to check it out and ask your medical practitioner for a prescription.

deeaalexus 10-24-2003 02:11 PM

I have heard about this form of depression and light therapy treatments. I know that the winter months can affect your outlook. Makes sense to me.
Deondra

antidieter 10-26-2003 07:18 PM

sad

I am one who suffers these symptoms. I sleep 12 hours or more in the winter and I have no energy. in the summer I have some energy but not much more than winter.

so I have been thinking about this light thearpy if I get this way again this year.

Leenie 10-29-2003 01:16 PM

Antidieter its worth a try! Did you ever consider seeing a doctor ?

StarPrincess 10-29-2003 01:20 PM

Living in the rainy, grey northwest, this is a common problem around here. I know a lot of people who have used light therapy and say it's effective for them. Personally, I decorate in bright colors. My couches are colbalt blue and everything has red, yellow, purple, and green accents. I find that I can brighten up my own space and keep my spirits up without expensive therapy. No neutrals for me!!!! ;)

angelheadedhipster 11-16-2003 11:00 AM

I have seasonal affective disorder and I know how hard it is to keep your self on track during the Winter months. Getting up in the morning is hard let alone exercising.

~Malory
190/174/130

psigrl 07-14-2004 09:58 PM

Dear Jillzabeen,
It's going to be ok as long as there are people who understand what it's like to lose everything, to hardly have the energy to go on.
In the last two years I've lost my career, home and good health. From a robust healthy lady to a destitute woman without enough money to eat. Because of an undiagnosed heart problem/stroke at a young age. So now I'm living quietly, somewhat shy of getting out there. I work because I must, I'm on this board because I must reach out. Now instead of lip service to prayer, I really pray! I can't afford to turn away from God now. I've learned I need people to survive even though mean and uncaring people contributed to my situation, I must have faith.
I try to find happiness in small, simple steps like my cat purring or a quiet evening. I keep all momentos of kindness here on my wall in my room in order to tap into love.
I WILL take those walks, I WILL care for my health. I will be here to contribute to your well being as well. There are millions of us out there who are attempting to survive in the face of great setbacks. It just takes time to get our breath and begin again. But one fine day we will look back and breathe deeply and feel wonderful once more. One day at a time. We're going to be back again. Say the Jabez prayer.
Love, Psi

pebbles95 08-12-2004 12:46 AM

Hello Jill, I'm 27 and have suffered from depression since I was 12. I had also started gaining weight at around that time. In the last year I have been going to a pshyco therapist and have gone on two medications that have pretty much quit working for me.
I recently lost my insurance so I can no loner afford to have my meds or see my therapist, but I still work on what she has taught me to do... and I would love to share this with you.
She said that I should keep a journal off all my thoughts and feelings everyday. Kind of a personal diary. It seems to help me a lot to get to vent about things that you really don't want other people knowing about. I also find comfort in reading past enteries and actually seeing that I can get though what seems like a tuff time at the moment. It also reminds me that there are bigger problems that bother me but at least it's in my journal and I can put those nagging thoughts away for a while.
I have taught myself that if I start to get depressed or stressed about something then I tell myself "I don't have time for this right now", and the time to think about it usually comes when I'm with my journal.
She has also taught me to do one good thing for myself everyday. Now I know this sounds stupid, but it's pretty hard to do something for yourself when you're frame of mind is that you're just not worth it. Like for instance one day I took the dog for a walk, and later I was pretty embarrased that it was all I could do for myself.
Or another thing was that I took a bath and shaved my legs. I keep track of these things because I have found out how much I have grown inside, and that makes me feel pretty good.
Well, I hope that this helps you out and I hope to here from you again. Pebbles

BelldandySarah 08-12-2004 04:38 PM

never alone

I must say that it makes me smile to read these entries, it reminds me that I'm not alone mostly. I've been on the depression rollercoaster since I was about 8 years old, I know it seems impossible but I've had problems ever since I can remember. I used to tell myself that it was my parents and that they were ruining my life, etc etc etc. When I finally left home and went to college, I was happy for about two weeks and everything started going downhill from there. Fall quarter wasn't so bad but winter and spring quarters were horrible, I spent all of my free time hiding in my room, very rarely did anything and didn't study near enough. Then summer came and I was stuck at home again, I thought the world would end that summer but it didn't, I made it through even took a trip to Europe which may have been the best three weeks of my life, I went back to start my second year of college with a bright outlook but I soon found that I was wrong. Finally, spring quarter of my sophomore year, I went to the counseling center for several months. Now, I have never allowed myself to be honest with anyone and had never gone to a therapist by my own choice. The first day I walked into that office, I was literally shaking, I was embarassed and scared. I'm so glad I went. My therapist was a graduate student and he taught me to really look at my life and the things I loved about it and the things I was just doing because I was "supposed" to do them. I've learned that there will be days and weeks even when I will feel horrible but it's during those times when I have to surround myself with the things I love the most such as music and art and pictures of my animals and friends. I've also learned to cut out some of the things in my life that I only did to prove a point and that I didn't get any actual satisfaction from. Part of my problem was that I was very involved with various campus groups but was never happy with the work I did with them. I would put on a very successful program and all I could see was that it started five minutes late or that it wasn't the best set-up, I never once sawed that people had fun or learned something. It wasn't until the end of my sophomore year of high school that I someone complimented me and it made me feel good, ever.

Now I find myself looking back at what I learned while I was talking with my counselor almost everyday, remember to do something that I really enjoy (like playing a video game or sitting at the piano). I'm also very happy to say that my family and I get along much better than when I was living at home, I really look forward to seeing my parents and my two older sisters. I also have two nieces who have become the light of my life. I may have scars from my early years and they may never fade away but now I can look past them I suppose.

The most important thing to think is not that things can't get worse because they always can, it's just the way of the world, but that things can always get better. :spin:

Belldandy

Leenie 08-27-2004 05:09 PM

SunsetGirl NO I don't think you vented to much. Here's a big hug from me to you!!! I'm so sorry you had to go thru what you did as a child, its a darn shame. I don't understand why people do that sort of thing. I wish I could take ever child on this earth and give them a "normal" child hood. Just let them laugh and be kids, because we know as adults how hard life can be. I'm really sorry to hear about your parents passing, I lost my dad when I was 20. But my mom is still here w/me. I can not imagine losing her.

I'm so glad you got therapy and you are on your way to a healthy you.

I hear you on the easy fix for fast meals but you know something, fast food places are making really healthy choices now a days. The salads are wonderful and they are coming up with more of a selection. I see nothing wrong if DB wants FF, tell him to get you a salad instead of the burger & fries.

I also used to draw in my younger days ;) in my teens and 20's that is and my best drawings were CARTOONS !!! I also love them, still do. Bugs Bunny is my favorite along w/the older cartoons, popeye, felix, merrie melody's, tom & jerry, etc.....

I'm glad you decided to post, if you'd like to chat, come visit us on the daily boards and don't worry about venting, we are all here to support each other.

Hugs and kisses to you !!!! You ROCK and you are a very strong woman, you are stronger then you know, trust me when I say that.

Leenie

Leenie 08-27-2004 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BelldandySarah
Now I find myself looking back at what I learned while I was talking with my counselor almost everyday, remember to do something that I really enjoy (like playing a video game or sitting at the piano). I'm also very happy to say that my family and I get along much better than when I was living at home, I really look forward to seeing my parents and my two older sisters. I also have two nieces who have become the light of my life. I may have scars from my early years and they may never fade away but now I can look past them I suppose.

The most important thing to think is not that things can't get worse because they always can, it's just the way of the world, but that things can always get better. :spin:

Belldandy

YOU GO GIRL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great advice !!!

Peg 09-27-2004 04:21 AM

Hi everyone, I'm back, I was here a long time ago, known as Ladypal, I want to return and talk again with everyone. Please refer to me as "peg". I'm looking to jump start a weight loss plan. I think Adking would be great, any one successful? what are you doing? I have been walking just about everyday, I might skip one or two days a week. I use hand weights, while I walk.

Talk again soon.
Peg

Leenie 09-27-2004 08:11 AM

Hey Peg,

Come join us on the daily threads, I'd hate for anyone to miss your posts here.

Hugs !!

Welcome back ;)

cathyxxx 09-27-2004 11:11 AM

Hey Peg,

I walk too! real walking and Leslie Sansone walking tapes! I love to walk!
You might want to join us on the Exercise thread - we have a monthly walking thread going there, where we keep up with miles walked and it's fun to log it and be accountable.

It's at http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45987

take care,
Cathy

Peg 09-28-2004 04:25 PM

Hi Leenie;

I didn't know if you'd remember me. I'm glad to be back, although, if I get called to work again for a long term assignment. It's hard to get in and post. The schools have a network system, at times I might be able to go on-line, but not for long.

Talk again later.

Peg

Peg 09-28-2004 04:31 PM

Thanks cathyxxx;

I will definitely give that a try. I too have Leslie Sansone tapes, I think I'll save them for when the weather gets too nasty and cold.

Yes! being accountable for miles walked will hep me soo much.

Thanks

Marie 10-24-2004 11:00 AM

I have SAD on top of being bipolar. My psychiatrist wanted me to get a lightbox last year and I didn't. It was too expensive and I didn't have the $$$. It was a miserable winter and I promised her and myself I would find the money this year. So, on Friday, I ordered my lightbox and I'm ready for winter. I will let you know how it goes. I researched a bit because I thought regular lights would work by having them all turned on. But that's not the case, so I ordered it. I'm looking forward to trying it and having a good winter.

Ruthxxx 10-24-2004 11:07 AM

It worked for me and it's about time to start using it again. I sit at the kitchen table, read, drink coffee and soak up the rays for an hour every morning from November to March.

Lettergirl 11-08-2004 12:14 PM

Hi. First timer. I am a 55 post-menapausal women. I had a headache for 2 days, went to the Dr., was afraid of diabedies, it runs in my family. He took test and told me to do the South Beach diet. I went out & bought the book. After 8 days with no carbs I suffered terrible headaches & depression. I started eating carbs and the headache & depression went away. The same thing happened to me when I went 10 days w/o carbs on the Atkins diet. Has anyone else suffered these side effects?

cathyxxx 11-10-2004 09:58 AM

Depression Articles

Here is an article I just ran across on genes and depression.
Thought I would share it with the gang.

http://www.healthyplace.com/communit...s_genetics.asp

Depression May Originate in Our Genes

(July 31, 2003) Once controversial, new research increasingly backs the notion that the seeds of depression lie in our genes. It's an insight that carries widespread implications for everything from treatment to insurance coverage.

A decade of experience with new anti-depressant drugs like Prozac has persuaded even the most staunchly Freudian of mental-health providers that depression is strongly rooted in our personal biology.

It has become accepted wisdom that some of us are born inherently prone to periods of dark and despondent feelings, no matter what our later life experiences, while others are armed to be psychologically more resilient. Now, scientists are increasingly confident that those biological differences are driven by specific genes.

The new research paradigm beginning to emerge aims to identify the potentially numerous and different genes believed to be involved in depression. Scientists then hope to figure out which of these genes play pivotal roles in a person's individual mental makeup and how life experiences conspire to trigger the disease.

Indeed, identifying the precise genes at work in depression has become one of the most sought after scientific prizes being pursued by genome researchers, partly because of how widespread depression is. The World Health Organization recently said depression is the fourth-leading cause of disease burden, which is defined as years patients must live with a disability. The WHO figures about 121 million people world-wide suffer from depression, and it estimates that depression will become the primary cause of disease burden world-wide by the year 2020.

Two studies reported this month help reinforce this emerging depression dogma. One report, from an international team led by University of Wisconsin researchers, offers reasons some people may be psychologically sturdier than others. Another report, from researchers at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, shows how scientists exploiting sophisticated new gene-hunting techniques are unmasking the precise genes that may help strengthen the argument that depression is a gene-based condition.

Wisconsin scientists and colleagues in Great Britain and New Zealand looked at how inheriting variations of one particular gene affected people's susceptibility to depression. The gene, called 5-HTT, is the focus of much scientific interest because it helps regulate the action of serotonin, one of several chemical neurotransmitters that carry signals between brain cells. Prozac-like drugs work by increasing the amount of serotonin that resides in between such cells, a change that apparently improves a person's ability to manage stressful feelings.

Recent research by the group and others found that some people inherit at least one short version of the 5-HTT gene, while others carry two longer versions. (Each of us inherits two copies of every gene, one from each parent. It is believed the protein chemicals made by a gene are often influenced by the makeup of both copies.)

Researchers looked at the mental-health status of 847 adult New Zealanders who experienced four traumatic events, such as a death, divorce or job loss, over a five-year period. They compared the behavior of those with one or two copies of the short version of the gene with those who had two copies of the long version. Only 17% of those with two copies of the long variant were diagnosed with depression, while 33% of those with the one or two of the short variants became depressed. Indeed, double-short-gene people were three times more likely to attempt or commit suicide than those with the long version.

Researchers in Pittsburgh used a different approach to unmask another susceptibility gene. Led by George Zubenko, the group looked at the DNA recently collected from 81 families in which a recurrent and major form of depression had been identified over many years of study. By scanning the family members' entire genome -- made easier because of new gene-sequencing data resulting from the human genome project -- the scientists found 19 different genetic regions that may contain genes involved in depression. The DNA sequences of those with a history of illness were consistently different in the 19 regions than the DNA sequences from the same areas taken from relatives who were disease free.

Unlike the gene-specific findings of the Wisconsin-led team, the Pittsburgh research may take many years to resolve. That's because the initial discovery suggests the disease may result from an interplay of some still-mysterious genes that reside within the 19 different DNA sites, Dr. Zubenko says.

However, Dr. Zubenko says, at least one gene, CREB1, by itself might not affect mental health but may regulate the activity of many of the other genes. Instead, Dr. Zubenko believes but has yet to prove, certain versions of CREB1 control the function of the other genes that likely make one more or less prone to depression and other mental-health maladies.

Like so many gene-based findings these days, the two new reports must be confirmed by others. In both instances, it will be years before the research leads to some practical applications. It may never make sense, ethically or medically, to use these and other gene findings to identify who among us is biologically at risk and who isn't.

But, right away, these studies indicate that genes are strongly associated with depression. That, in itself, is causing a major shift in how the disease is being studied. More and more, depression will be viewed as a biology-based medical disease that happens to affect the mind, much as diabetes affects the heart and kidneys, or arthritis affects the joints, rather than a psychological lapse within an individual's control.

Finding the biological underpinnings of depression is likely also to have a widespread impact on the economics of the disease. One of the most controversial aspects of mental health is that insurance plans rarely cover treatment for depression on the same basis as other health problems. Advocates for improved mental-health coverage are certain to use these scientific insights to argue that coverage ought to be more generous than it currently is.

Source: Wall Street Journal, Michael Waldholz

raindancer1 11-10-2004 10:18 AM

There is no question in my mind that the Freudian and personality theory psychiatrists have been wrong all along with reference to the origins of clinical depression. People are predisposed to it or not because of their genes, hence, their individual biological makeup. My family is a case in point. Bipolar disorder/depressive type runs through no less than 4 generations of my mother's family: Grandmother, mother, myslef, my daughters all suffer with varying degrees of this debilitating disorder. There are also features of schizophrenia in 3 generations of my family, both sides. I have always known intuitively, then definitvely, from research and personal experience that it is biological, physiological, organic. Personalities and childhood experiences are the factors that can make a predisposed person become clinically depressed. A person without the genetic make-up for depression can face almost insurmountable life challenges and never know what depression and anxiety are.

Thanks for re-printing this article. The stigma of depression lives on, unfortunately. But equipped with the information in this article, patients should feel a sense a hope and a willingness to deal with an organic problem appropriately: with medication, behavior modifcation, and therapy.

Leenie 11-10-2004 11:14 AM

Hi Lettergirl, and welcome to 3FC's :)

I can honestly say, when I was on atkins I never felt better, it seems as though my depression was almost gone last winter and thats when I usually have it the worst, so I can not say I experienced the same as you w/low carb. I'm sorry you did experience the things you said. I would say talk to your doctor and tell him/her what happened, only he/she can suggest what would be good for you and your condition.

Good luck and please let us know how you make out.

Hugs, Leenie

Leenie 11-10-2004 11:32 AM

Great Article !!

I also believe it is in our genes. Just like other mental conditions that are hereditary, such as ADHD or ADD. Both depression and ADHD are a factor in my family and the older I get the more I am realizing this (because I am aware of the symptoms).

Thanks, Leenie

cathyxxx 11-10-2004 02:15 PM

I agree gang - I KNOW BEYOND A SHADOW OF A DOUBT - it is in the genes.

I hope this kind of stuff eventually removes the stigma!

cathyxxx 11-19-2004 10:37 PM

Depression & Hypothyroidism

http://www.thyroid.about.com/b/a/044459.htm

Depression Explored, With Dr. Barry Durrant-Peatfield

Thyroid Disease Blog
From Mary Shomon,
November 19, 2003

Depression Explored, With Dr. Barry Durrant-Peatfield
Having just read the tragic news item from India about the depressed thyroid lady who committed suicide and preparing as I am at present a lecture about thyroid and depression, which I shall shortly give to London's Insitute of Optimum Nutrition's Mind Conference, I felt it might be appropriate to remind people of the strong link and frequency of depression and hypothyroidism...

Depression causes untold misery and destroys lives. Perhaps one in five people will suffer from it sometime in their lives. A huge industry has arisen around the treatment of depressive illness and psychiatrists are gainfully employed in their thousands. Whether it is more widespread than it was is perhaps difficult to answer. There are more of us to be depressed; we have more to be depressed about, and we are more likely to seek help. But there certainly seems to be more people troubled by depression and the great panoply of antidepressant medication tells its own story.

Before having a look at thyroid deficiency and its link to depression, we should learn a bit about it, and how it is caused and why. People who are depressed are sad, unmotivated most of the day and are usually worse in the morning. They sleep poorly, and wake up tired; they feel worthless, they have a poor self-image. They may eat more or less and put on or lose weight. Sir Winston Churchill used to call it his Black Dog. In his case, as with many, it was self-limiting: probably an extra cigar and brandy banished it?

There are two sorts of depression fundamentally: the exogenous kind, which is the result of circumstance, and the endogenous form, an illness from within ourselves. It is the second form we are to deal with. Maintenance of mood resides in part of the brain called the hippocampus. Here brain cells release neurotransmitter hormones, which are taken up by receptors; the amount released and the number of receptors responding, governs whether we are depressed or not.

Probably the most important of these mood neuro transmitter substances are serotonin and noradrenalin, and treatment is directed at preventing the decay of these substances at the receiving nerve endings. This is what Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitors (MAOIs) antidepressants, Tricyclic antidepressants and Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRIs) do. However, thyroid hormone deficiency acts on the receptor sites and hastens the recycling of these neurotransmitters at the nerve endings or reduces the amount being secreted. The result is that the neurotransmitters that are responsible for maintaining mood do not work at optimum efficiency. Depression then takes over.

It has been estimated that more than one third of people suffering from depression are hypothyroid. Some are in hospital. They receive, over long periods, antidepressants of one sort or another when actually the problem is deficiency of thyroid hormones. It is simply that no one thought of thyroid deficiency as a cause when their illness began; or the simplistic tests failed to reveal it.

Any patient suffering from depression should be routinely assessed for hypothyroidism. There should be no exceptions; half to one third will be found to be hypothyroid, and as a result of treatment, their depression will begin to lift in weeks. Conventional medicine will turn with little thought to psychotropic antidepressants. The problem with these is that they are sometimes difficult to stop taking. Of the SSRIs, Seroxat in particular has a poor reputation in this respect; Prozac has attracted unfavourable reports and moreover contains a fluoride compound. Tricyclic antidepressants (eg Tryptizol, Imipramime) often have unpleasant sedating side effects, and the MAOIs (eg Parnate, Nardil) clash with a number of drugs and foodstuffs. St John's Wort is an altogether simpler and safer alternative.

Hypothyroidism should not be considered in isolation. It is more than likely that there are other deficiencies at work and cortisol, testosterone, oestrogen, DHEA and progesterone deficiencies should be looked for and corrected. It is now clear that nutrition plays a much greater role in mental illness than conventional medicine would have us believe.

The brain and its neurotransmitters simply don't work properly without the proper raw materials. An obvious one is that there should be a constant, even supply, of its fuel glucose. Hypoglycaemia is certainly associated with depression. The essential amino acids must be provided for the manufacture of the protein neurotransmitters; so must essential fatty acids, especially the omega 3 group, which make up the structure of the brain and the neurones releasing the neurotransmitters. The vitamin B complex, folic acid, vitamin C are needed to allow the amino acids to form complex proteins and the other mineral micronutrients have to be there.

Get the nutrients right (also ensuring thyroid manufacture and uptake), provide thyroid supplementation if required, perhaps as naturally as possible from glandular extracts, and we can fight the black tide of mind altering drugs that threatens to overwhelm so many of us.

Kind regards,

Barry Peatfield

Dr. Barry Durrant-Peatfield is the author of The Great Thyroid Scandal and How to Survive It, and one of the UK's most beloved thyroid experts. He is retired after an unsuccessful battle against the conventionally run medical bureaucracy who object to use of natural thyroid drugs, treatment for hypoadrenalism, and who condemn physicians for using patient-oriented thyroid diagnosis and treatment methods.

cathyxxx 11-19-2004 10:57 PM

My son was told he had a "chemical imbalance" before we found out he actually has a low thyroid problem and I have been doing a lot of research on both. In the past few years I have come into contact with a lot of people with different chemical imbalances (depression, anxieties, bipolar, ocd, social phobias, panic attacks, etc etc etc) that are finding out that they have a low thyroid problem that is definitely attributing to their problems.

I thought it was important to share the above article with those that are here and dealing with a "chemical imbalance", so that they can at least be aware that there may be a connection and that they should have their thyroid checked out (correctly) if for no other reason, other than to at least rule out a thyroid problem.

I have read a lot of info and could not even begin to share it all here, but let me just quote one paragraph out of an article:

"Scientists now consider thyroid hormone one of the major "players" in brain chemistry disorders. And as with any brain chemical disorder, until treated correctly, thyroid hormone imbalance has serious effects on the patient's emotions and behavior."

Sooooooooooo I just wanted to say that IT IS MOST IMPORTANT THAT EVERYONE HAVE THEIR THYROID CHECKED BY HAVING THE FOLLOWING TESTS RUN:

TSH (Thyroid Stimulating Hormone from the pituitary gland)

FREE T3 (available active thyroid hormone)

FREE T4 (available storage thyroid hormone)

and the anti thyroid antibodies tests
(TPO – Thyroid Peroxidase detects Hashimoto’s autoimmune thyroid disease and Thyroid Antithyroglobulin)

Please have these tests run, if for no other reason then to simply rule out a thyroid hormone problem that is contributing to your "chemical imbalance" or will interfere with your recovery efforts.

Some doctors are reluctant to run the Free T3 and Free T4, and will want to simply run the old thyroid tests. THIS IS NOT SUFFICIENT and can be very misleading or miss the problem!

Request or beg or demand the Free T3 and Free T4, TSH and the anti thyroid antibodies tests. If you do not want to go thru a doctor or cannot afford to, you can order the tests (Comprehensive Thyroid Panel II and Anti Thyroid Antibodies) yourself at www.healthcheckusa.com It is very easy to do and then they will send you the paperwork in the mail for you to take with you to the nearest lab to draw your blood and you can look up your results online in a few days and also receive them in the mail.

If your Free levels are in the lower 1/3 of the range, it is possible a deficiency of thyroid hormone is causing your mental symptoms.

After the correct tests are done, if a low thyroid problem is found, it is most important that you be treated with Armour Thyroid, and not the synthetic drugs like synthroid, because Armour Thyroid contains BOTH T4 AND T3, and the others do not have T3. Some research indicates that T3 is needed especially for those with psychiatric symptoms such as depression.

Also on the TSH test - the ranges have changed and very few labs or doctors are recognizing the new lab ranges yet. The old TSH ranges were 0.5 to 5.5 and the new ranges have been changed to 0.3 to 3.0, so when you look at your TSH readings, (and I would ALWAYS GET COPIES OF MY BLOODWORK) be sure to keep in mind and tell your doctor about the new ranges. It is also very likely that the ranges will be changed soon to 0.3 to 2.0 - because there are those that feel that anything over 2.0 is hypothyroidism.

There are some that are only taking Armour Thyroid for their mental problems and are doing amazingly well and there are others, like my son, who needed 4 grains (240 mgs) of Armour Thyroid a day before any meds would help him. He is now doing amazingly well! and takes 5 grains (300 mgs) of Armour daily, and is now off of most of the psych meds he was placed on (which was an experience in itself!!!!) At this point, he does take an anxiety med if needed.

A side note to this - as of today, 04/16/08, he has now been off of ALL psych meds for the past 2 years. Only takes 5 grains Armour daily. He is better than GREAT!!!!

I also have a low thyroid problem and I am taking 5 grains (300 mgs) of Armour Thyroid a day, so I definitely know the difference it has made for me also!

I am here if anyone wants to talk about any of this.

take care & be well,
Cathy

I just wanted to add this example here of how unreliable the TSH can be.
This gals bloodwork was run and she was told her thyroid was "normal" bec the TSH was in range. Then all the correct tests were run, as set forth above, and as you can see her Free T4 is below the range, and her Free T3 is very low in the range, and she also has thyroid antibodies that are attacking the thyroid hormone that she DOES have. This gal is now being treated with Armour Thyroid bec the correct tests were run.

TSH - 1.7 (Range 0.3 -3.0)

FREE T4 - .7 (Range 0.8-1.8)

FREE T3 - 90 (Range 60-180)

Antibodies were 126 & 146.

Also I just want to explain that on the TSH test, because this test looks backwards to our way of thinking, but the higher your TSH number, then the lower (hypothyroidism) your thyroid is suppose to be. TSH stands for Thyroid Stimulating Hormone and when your thyroid is low your body screams for more thyroid hormone by producing this stuff and the higher the number of this stuff then supposedly the lower your thyroid is, and the lower your number then the higher (hyperthyroidism) your thyroid is suppose to be. But again, we need to be running the FREE T3 and FREE T4 and thyroid antibodies tests.

Cathy

Leenie 12-22-2004 01:37 PM

Gestalt Therapy - An Introduction

Thanks 4Rabbits !!

http://www.gestalt.org/yontef.htm

Gestalt Therapy: An Introduction

Thehopefulcry2 01-28-2005 03:53 AM

Depression has, in a large part, been the reason I am un secessful losing weight.

lora_m 02-15-2005 12:19 PM

I have SAD. I was diagnosed quite a few years back - although I'd had regular bouts of depression it was only at that point I realised it had a seasonal element. Norman Rosenthal's Book 'The Winter Blues' is quite helpful.

I use a light box in winter, it certainly helps although I wouldn't say it was a universal panacea. I find that it helps with my energy levels, otherwise I am walking around all the time feeling half asleep in winter, and it also stabilises my sleeping hours. That helps, as if I am sleeping badly and feeling wiped out all the time it makes the depression much worse. I also use a dawn simulation alarm clock, year-round as this helps me wake up on grey days, though I don't use the lightbox after spring.

Unfortunately I haven't found light therapy helps with the tendency to crave food and overeat in winter. All my really bad weight gains have tended to be in the winter. I am just starting to come out of my winter 'hibernation' period. I've just realised recently that I tend to start things or give up things in late February - I originally dieted that time, I also gave up drinking last year in late Feb. I think the urge to make changes tends to hit me after my energy levels start to recover.

garnetrose32 04-06-2005 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tippy
In the latest Readers Digest there is an interesting article about children and depression. I recommend it.

My daughter was diagnosed with manic depression when she was nine. I have to wonder how many others out there have it and go undiagnosed while parents and others blame it on rebellion and such. :?:

garnetrose32 04-06-2005 04:10 PM

I have a friend who was on the atkins diet with her husband and they both lost alot of weight on it and were very happy with it. I guess it all depends on the person. My doctor says since I am diebetic, it is better for me to eat smaller portions and six small meals a day rather than three larger ones and cutting out a bunch of stuff.

Leenie 04-08-2005 08:06 PM

This is true for alot of people, yours truly too.

cathyxxx 07-01-2005 09:29 AM

Hey Gang,

As most of ya'll know, I do a lot of research on thyroid.

I got this from yahoo "thyroid" news alert which is about researchers finding a link between an abnormal thyroid condition and bipolar disorder!!!!!!

I love it when the researchers figure out what "regular people" are
finding out. ;-)

I will CAPITALIZE the main sentence and put the info on thyroid in BOLD.

Cathy

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_relea...m-rzi061405.php

Public release date: 16-Jun-2005

University of Pittsburgh Medical Center

Research zeros in on bipolar disorder genes, link with thyroid condition

Genetics major theme at International Conference on Bipolar Disorder
June 16-18

PITTSBURGH, June 16 – Despite an intensive effort, researchers have
yet to identify the genes that cause bipolar disorder, yet the
practical benefits of such a discovery could reap rich rewards for
those suffering from the mental illness.

New research findings presented today at the Sixth International
Conference on Bipolar Disorder suggest specific genetic linkages that
are associated with the mental illness, bringing researchers much
closer to finding the elusive gene or genes. ANOTHER STUDY
FINDS AN ASSOCIATION BETWEEN AN ABNORMAL THYROID
CONDITION AND BIPOLAR DISORDER, POINTING TO THE POSSIBILITY
THAT A SIMPLE TEST COULD HELP IDENTIFY THOSE AT RISK.

To further investigate more specific genetic linkages, Marion
Leboyer, M.D., Ph.D., of the University of Paris Faculty of Medicine,
studied 87 bipolar sibling pairs from 70 European families who were
participants in the European Collaborative Study on Early Onset
Bipolar Affective Disorder and identified eight regions of genetic
linkages that, while not necessarily the sole or unique ones
associated with this disease, zeroed in on what may be the specific
genes that predispose individuals to early onset of this debilitating
disease.

According to Dr. Leboyer, his studies of families with members who
developed the illness as children or adolescents reduces those
genetic and clinical variabilities that can complicate efforts to
identify susceptibility genes. Finding these genes would help
researchers develop more effective treatments or even prevent
the disorder from occurring in at-risk individuals.

Other genetic clues come from results of two related studies
involving adolescent and young adult offspring of bipolar parents and
of twins with bipolar disorder, suggesting a genetic link between
bipolar disorder and an abnormal thyroid condition

Willem Nolen, M.D., Ph.D., of the University of Groningen Medical
Centre, Netherlands, found that bipolar patients were twice as likely
as healthy subjects to develop autoimmune thyroiditis (AT).
Among
the offspring of parents with bipolar disorder, who usually have an
increased prevalence of bipolar and other mood disorders, there also
was an increased prevalence of AT. Surprisingly, this finding did not
seem to be related to whether their offspring themselves had been
diagnosed with a psychiatric illness.

Among identical twins (who share all their genes) with at least one
twin having bipolar disorder, prevalence of AT was increased in the
other twin, irrespective of whether the other twin also had bipolar
disorder. However among fraternal twins (who share 50 percent of
their genes) with at least one fraternal twin having bipolar
disorder, prevalence of AT was increased only in the other fraternal
twin who also had bipolar disorder, but was not increased in the
fraternal twin without the illness.

Dr. Nolen's research highlights the increasing importance of
identifying endophenotypes – clinical information unique to certain
groups of individuals that may be predictive of risk for disease and
course of illness. Although associated genes for bipolar disorder and
AT have yet to be identified, AT may be an endophenotype for bipolar
disorder. As such, the findings suggest that relatives of patients
with bipolar disorder not only inherit the vulnerability for bipolar
disorder and other mood disorders, but that some also may share
the genetic vulnerability for developing AT.

If proven valid in further studies, the research suggests that
members of families in which bipolar disorder occurs could be tested
for autoimmune thyroiditis by means of a simple blood analysis,
thereby helping to identify those who also may be at risk for
developing bipolar disorder.

"Why hasn't a gene for bipolar disorder been identified when clearly
the illness affects some families more than others and what is
science telling us about who is most vulnerable and how the onset
of the illness can be prevented? While a number of genes have been
suspected to be associated with bipolar disorder, we thus far have
failed to isolate any definitive bipolar gene, but are making sure
progress that will ultimately bring answers about how and why this
debilitating disease affects so many. By exploring these genetic
connections, we inch closer to surer diagnosis and more rational and
effective treatments," commented Michael Thase, M.D., professor of
psychiatry at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine.

Held every two years, the International Conference on Bipolar
Disorder is the only venue in the world devoted exclusively to
highlighting new research into bipolar disorder. The Sixth Conference
is being held June 16 to18 at the David L. Lawrence Convention
Center, located in the heart of downtown Pittsburgh, and is being
sponsored by the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine and
Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic of the University of
Pittsburgh Medical Center.

cathyxxx 07-01-2005 09:33 AM

Article on Depression & Exercise

*Missing Exercise Can Be Depressing*

By Miranda Hitti

June 7, 2005 -- Skipping exercise for a week or two may cramp your
mood, says a study that turned regular exercisers into couch potatoes.

"We were able to measure negative results from withdrawal of exercise
in just two weeks," says researcher Ali Berlin, MS, in a news release.
Berlin works at the military's Uniformed Services University of the
Health Sciences. She presented her findings in Nashville, Tenn., at the
American College of Sports Medicine's annual meeting.

*Stick to It*

The take-home message: Once you start exercising, keep it up. That
doesn't mean becoming a slave to the Stairmaster or a fanatic about any
particular workout. Adjustments may be necessary from time to time.

For example, "if someone is a regular jogger or bicyclist and find they
cannot do the activity for a short time, they need to do something else
like walking until they can resume their preferred activity," says
Berlin.

*Forced to Take a Break*

Berlin's study included 40 regular exercisers. "We were not looking at
elite athletes; the study participants were people who are regularly
active at a moderate level," says Berlin.

First, the participants took mood and fitness tests. Next, half were
forbidden from exercising for two weeks. The others were told to follow
their normal fitness routine.

The tests were repeated one and two weeks later. The results showed
that the forced exercise "vacation" didn't recharge anyone's batteries.
Instead, it left the former exercisers feeling worse than before.

It's one of those strange-but-true health facts: The more active you
are, the more energy you have. That is, as long as you're not ill or
engaging in ridiculous amounts of exercise that push the body too hard.

The CDC recommends that adults get at least 30 minutes of
moderate-intensity physical activity five or more days per week.

*No Exercise, Crummy Mood*

"After one week we began to see changes," says Berlin. After two weeks,
those changes had deepened. Two weeks of slothfulness had pushed the
former exercisers into a grim state.

By then, they were significantly more tense, tired, and less vigorous.
The more out of shape they became, the more their mood and energy level
worsened. "What this tells us is that any interruption in a regular
fitness routine can have a negative [impact]," says Berlin.

So what's a person to do when the weather is miserable or time seems
scarcer than usual? Get creative. Tweak your routine, choosing other
activities to stay physically and mentally fit, Berlin suggests.

Health care workers may also want to keep an eye out for depression
symptoms in exercisers who get sidelined by injury or illness, she
says.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

SOURCES: American College of Sports Medicine 52nd Annual Meeting,
Nashville, Tenn., June 1-4, 2005. News release, American College of
Sports Medicine. CDC: "Physical Activity for Everyone:
Recommendations."