Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 06-21-2004, 02:05 PM   #1  
Mel

Default Is anyone here taking Remeron?

Hi,
I have been taking Remeron for almost a month now for fibromylagia. It's turned me into a zombie, even at half the dosage my doc initially prescribed. Being able to sleep at night is nice, but I feel like I'm dead. I've also gained 6 pounds since last Thursday. I log EVERYTHING I eat in fitday, and even with 1 major bad food day, I should have been at maintenance calories for the week, not a 6 pound gain.

If anyone else takes or has taken this drug, I'd really appreciate it if you could share your experiences. I'm going to dump the stuff pretty soon if things don't get better. I feel like it's plunging me into major depression, when that wasn't my problem to start with.

Thanks in advance,
Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 03:00 PM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hey Mel,

No, I've never tried that med. You know different meds have different side effects, for instance Zoloft made me feel very violent and if you knew me, you'd say WHAT!! I'm so mello I'm almost comatose (sp?) lol. Well having these feelings with a new baby in the house was NOT good, so I quickly went off. My sister who is on it now says she feels very nasty on the stuff as well. I tried prozac, that was okay and I've been on Welbutrin which is supposed to help control your appetite ?? go figure, but in any case both of them worked fine.

My point is, if you don't feel good on it, tell your doctor immediately, don't wait, there's so many different meds out there and you might have to try a few b/4 you get the right one. You shouldn't have to suffer under treatment.

Hugs !!
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 08:30 PM   #3  
Mel

Thanks Leenie. Over the last 14 years I think I've tried almost every drug on the market that has any effect on sleep patterns. The only ones that have worked either made me fat (thank you for those 60 pounds goes to trazadone) or were taken off the market because they kill your liver (serzone). I'm really at the end of my rope at this point. Unfortunately, I seem to know more about this than my doctor Time to find a new doc.

Mel
Old 06-22-2004, 03:44 PM   #4  
Number 1 Hockey Fan

Hi--

I have also tried almost everything--including Remeron. I think my Dr. put me on it because it was new. It also made me a zombie and made me gain weight. After a month 1 went back to her and told her I want off the stuff. I am now on Celexa and feel better than I have in 20 years. The only other anti-depressant that made me feel human again was Prozac but I had to go off that because it stopped working. If you haven't tried Celexa--give it a try. It hasn't made me gain any weight (in fact--I have even LOST some weight on it) and it has not made me sleepy at all!

Good luck to you!

Garbanzo
Garbanzo Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 08:40 PM   #5  
Mel

Hi Garbanzo,
My problem is that I need to feel sleepy at the right time, just not brain dead all day. Without meds, I just don't sleep at all. My body seems to be lacking whatever brain chemical allows people to fall into deep sleep, and most of the time ANY type of sleep. I'll check out Celexa, though and see if it has the right attributes. Thanks!

Mel
Old 06-23-2004, 08:48 AM   #6  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Hey Mel, do you sleep in the pitch black? I read an article when my daughter was born that sleeping in the dark, very dark, helps create a chemical in the brain that we need (can't remember) but anyway, I trained my daughter to sleep in the dark since she was 4 months old. You don't have the tv on or lights?

Celexa, hey, I heard that was wonderful. Just yesterday my doctor put me back on Welbutrin and...... Ritalin. I feel okay today, first day on it. More mellow inside which is good.

Let us know how you do.

OH!!!! another question, and well I think it did help me. Are you eating low carb. Mel I sware, eating low carb makes me drop at night like a stone. How about eating less carbs, it took me about 3 months b/4 it kicked in for me. Just a thought.
Old 06-23-2004, 03:00 PM   #7  
Mel

Leenie, you hit everything I AM doing! I'm eating very low carb, less than 25 grams after subtracting fiber, and I've never been able to sleep with any light. We have blackout shades, otherwise I'm awake as soon as there is a bit of light. The sleep problem is one of the main problems associated with fibromyalgia, and I've got it bigtime And never sleeping isn't for lack of exercise, either . Thanks for the suggestions, tho.

Mel
Old 06-23-2004, 08:37 PM   #8  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Gee Mel, sorry to hear that. If I hear of anything else I will let you know.
Hugs !!

Asking Doc about Celexa is a step in the right direction, I'll be crossing my fingers for you (and praying )
Old 06-29-2004, 02:55 PM   #9  

Default Remeron

Mel,
I was taking Remeron about 5 months ago and I had to take myself off of it. It had horrid side effects. Not only did I gain about 20 lbs on it, but in came with this very painful swelling of my feet and hands as well. So if you notice any swelling, I would attributite it to the Remeron.

At least that was my experience. You can try breaking the tablet in 1/2 and seeing if the side effects don't subside but you still get the nice nitey nite effect from them....

Anyway...best of luck. Have you tried Ativan for sleep? That works really well for me.

Eggsalad

Last edited by Eggsalad; 06-29-2004 at 02:59 PM.
Eggsalad is offline   Reply With Quote