Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 02-12-2006, 03:36 PM   #1  

Default Anyone ever take Wellbutrin?

That's what my doctor has me on now. I was on Effexor but HATED the side effects. I was ALWAYS sleepy and felt I couldn't take good care of my kids, or myself for that matter. The more tired I was the less I wanted to go out and exercise and the more I turned to convenience food. Now, I've been on Wellbutrin for about a week now. Haven't noticed anything yet, but pharmacist informed me it can take a few weeks. Some side effects include: dry mouth (which gum can fix), upset tummy (take with food), decreased appetite, increased energy, and unlike some other anit-depressants, this one has only a 1 or 2 % chance of having any sexual side effects (husband will be happy about that one )lol

Anyway, if anyone is or has taken Wellbutrin, how did you like it? Or did you hate it?
~Shawna~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 04:40 PM   #2  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

I took Wellbutrin to help me quit smoking and I loved it. I felt so much better - I had motivation and energy and was able to quit smoking with very little trouble. I have talked to several people who don't like it, but it really worked for me. I wasn't on it very long (a couple of months) and tried to get it renewed but had trouble with my insurance at the time.
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 05:36 PM   #3  

Default Wellbutrin

Wellbutrin worked best for me. The main side effects I had were dry mouth and slightly increased anxiety. I'm starting on it again as my depression returned after a nearly a year of being depression-free. (or at least not as sad as before).

I used to use Celexa, but it left me totally devoid of emotion until one day, I felt a strong suicidal urge. I was taken off it. I also tried Zoloft, but it made me sick to my stomach.

Sometimes you have to try a few different medications until you find the one that fits you best.

Good luck -- Wunda
wundawoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 06:02 PM   #4  

I've taken Wellbutrin SR and I now take Wellbutrin XL. I can't speak as to whether I love it or hate it b/c I take it with a ton of other psychiatric meds so I don't really know which med is doing what at some times.

Good luck with it and I hope it helps you.
nicolee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 09:15 PM   #5  

I took wellbutrin, but I'm one of the "rare side effects" people--couldn't breathe, swelling in my nose, mouth and throat. I only took 3 doses....ok, a little slow on the uptake, but my son will tell you I'm a raving hypochondriac--I just thought it was symptomitis!

I've found that all anti-depressants have side effects. For me, the problem is a little lower than dry mouth!

Hope it works well for you.
eaglemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 10:14 PM   #6  
determined to lose

I was on wellbutrin last year and it was great!!!! I signed up for a gym I lost weight I was motivated I loved it....then they took me off of it and put me on something else...I wish they would put me back on it and I dont know why they wont unless it doesnt go with my other new meds. It has been used as an appetite supressant I think too. So much the better.
garnetfairy is offline   Reply With Quote