Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 08-01-2021, 10:58 PM   #1  
I can do it!!!

S/C/G: 223/165/145

Height: 5'4"

Default August 2021 Ups & Downs Support Group Thread

Hello and to the August 2021 Ups & Downs Support Group thread. We are a very small but mighty group who welcome new members any time. We are here to support each other through the ups & downs of weight loss, depression, and life in general. Please join in and tell us a little (or a lot) about yourself!
IBelieveInMe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 11:02 PM   #2  
I can do it!!!

Holly: I went ahead and started the August thread since I remembered, but I wanted to let you know that I wrote a message to you yesterday in the July thread.
Old 08-09-2021, 12:26 AM   #3  
I can do it!!!

Just stopping by to say hello to everyone! I'm soaking up every moment of summer and the beautiful, warm weather while it lasts! I had my annual "Girls' Weekend" at the lake Thursday to Saturday. I have three longtime friends up for two days. I stress out beforehand and both my hubby and I put a lot of work into preparing our lake home for guests, but we always have a good time. Some kind of mishap always seems to occur. One year, the keychain came apart and the boat key fell in the lake as one of us passed the keys to the other from the boat to the land. This time, we lost our little American flag on a pole for the boat. We accidentally put it in the hole for the rear boat light... lol... and, while we were out cruising around the lake, we passed another boat that had a flag on it. I turned around to check on ours... and it was gone! We always eat a lot of snacks and candy, so now I need to regroup and reign myself in.

Hope everyone is okay! Please write and let us know how you are when you get a chance. I miss everyone! 💙

Last edited by IBelieveInMe2; 08-09-2021 at 12:37 AM.
Old 08-09-2021, 08:08 AM   #4  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Hello Kathleen thank you for starting the August thread!! and thank you for the July post, i went back to read. Congratulations to your daughter for passing her driver's test!! woohoo! and WOW to your son for going for his Master's!!! What accomplishments for them both and congrats to YOU as a great supportive and loving parent

what a nice time you had with the Girls! and glad no bad mishaps Yes we must embrace the summer while we can! so cool that you have the lake house to enjoy though I can't imagine what work that must be, but it is worth it.

I recovered from that stupid trip/fall pretty quickly, and I have to say I guess I have physically toughened back up because I don't have as much daily knee pain..? what a blessing. When I first went back to work in mid-May I was gobbling pain relievers too much. Well I did have a year off from being on my feet at work all day! it is definitely something you adapt to.

Work is crazy busy, besides my daily responsibilities for baking/pastry, I regularly do 2 nights in the Dining Room (or 3 last week!) and now do a breakfast cooking shift. I did that years ago and I'm only doing it now to help the Chef out. There is a breakfast/lunch cook who is new this year and apparently he does not want to work more than 7 hours a day, 5 days a week. That would be fine except all of us are working 6 days a week and up to 11 hours a day . You'd think he'd be guilted into helping us more! Oh and this marks my 20th season there!! yes 20 !

It is the problem of trying to find help that I know the whole country is dealing with, in the service and hospitality industry. At the hotel where my husband works, they cannot find housekeepers, even with offering a very good rate. First the hotel raised their rates to discourage business; then they closed off 50 rooms completely!! how crazy is that. But even the few current housekeepers they have managed to hire are so so bad! but they won't be fired because they are just barely better than nothing.

Today is my one day off and I usually spend it doing about 4 hours combined of lawn work...it is therapeutic for me and looks so good when it is done I am getting my usual joy from the flowers and plants but especially from the white and purple petunias that I grew, from seeds I gathered last year.

and one last shout out to our friends here and especially Lisa who was with us for so long and Lisa you were so helpful to me, with giving me confidence about my bad feeling about my body image. And I remember when you told of buying some white jeans and how much you liked them. And I have wanted a pair too but wouldn't get them because I'm not a skinny size 6 or so. Well I was at the consignment shop and I found a pair of white jeans/capris that I bought. now just need the courage to wear them in public.

OK enough from me!! would love to hear from our other friends here!!
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 12:38 AM   #5  
I can do it!!!

Wow, Holly! I can't believe you added a breakfast cooking shift to your work schedule... in addition to 2 nights in the dining room... in addition to your full days!!! You are such a hard worker! I sure hope they appreciate you! Congratulations on 20 years at your summer job! 🎉 That really is a huge accomplishment and something to be proud of.

I'm so happy that you recovered from your fall quickly and that you aren't having as much daily knee pain. Great news!

I'm also glad to hear that you are still getting satisfaction and joy from working in your yard and from your flowers and plants. 🌷

That is awesome that you bought a pair of white jeans/capris that you've been wanting, remembering that Lisa had done so awhile ago. I say wear those babies in public the first chance you get!!! Go for it, Holly! You only live once!

Well, I had blood drawn this past Wednesday for my Endocrinology appointment this coming Wednesday. I am under an Endocrinologist's care for Hypothyroidism and Metabolic Syndrome. I looked at my lab results on my patient portal today and my cholesterol and glucose are both high. The results are confusing as to how elevated my triglycerides and glucose are, though, because there were multiple "lab results"/numbers for each factor, which doesn't make sense. All of the numbers appear to be elevated, but some were more alarming than others. I freaked out a bit when I first saw all of the elevated/"abnormal" lab results. But my hubby talked me down and now I'm just trying to remain calm until I talk with my doctor on Wednesday. I have a feeling I'm going to hear the ol' "eat better, exercise more" advice, which I do need to heed. Even though I would still like to lose a good 20 more pounds, I think I've become lazy since I lost a significant amount of weight a little while ago and have at least maintained my current weight. That needs to change! I'm not usually motivated by fear, but I don't want to become diabetic or worse, have a heart attack or stroke. I know I might be getting way ahead of myself, but I'm really worried that I've let my health deteriorate.

Anyway, that's the latest with me. Like Holly, I hope to hear from others soon! Where is everybody? Hope all is well!

Old 08-19-2021, 08:00 PM   #6  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Default Hello!!

Hello Kathleen, I can't believe I let so many days go by without replying to your nice post!

How did the endocrinology appt go, was that last week? was he able explain those numbers that alarmed you? Certainly the fear of something dire happening is a great motivator but I hope so much that you do NOT have to worry about that!! and you are to be congratulated again and again for the significant weight loss you have been maintaining!! that is even harder than the initial loss I think.

so...my kitchen co-worker, the breakfast/lunch cook ( I refuse to call him a Chef) got a positive Covid test...he says he did get the J & J vaccination back in May..but of course he has to quarantine for 10 days and that just leave ME and the Head Chef to cover breakfast, lunch, dinner every day!!! LOL this week I did FOUR breakfast shifts and covered an easy lunch for the Chef, along with baking; and I'm in the dining room this Saturday. We just keep plugging along...we (at work) of course have been dealing with the staff shortage but also with a drought ( we had to have water brought in and pumped into our tanks and sent out all our sheets/towels to a local laundromat) and then our dishmachine broke; then our Head Groundskeeper went on his yearly trip to UK to visit family and didn't check his Visa for expiry date and he is stuck in UK for an additional 2 weeks...what else? oh yeah the co-worker getting Covid...geez we can't catch a break this summer! but we are hanging in there.

but there is a NICE thing that happened, the President of the Club came for a week's visit and saw for himself how we were hustling..saw how we are all 'wearing different hats' just to keep things running..he left an envelope for me that had a beautiful note thanking me for my hard work and saying my baking skills were so professional and amazing. And a personal check for $250 Wow!! the amount stunned me but the thought that he noticed and went ahead and did that was just as great. Things like that keep you going!
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 01:45 PM   #7  
I can do it!!!

Holly: I had my appointment with my Endocrinologist this past Wednesday. I feel like a fool! There were 8 pages of lab results (which had me confused) and it turns out that I was looking back at old results. She said all of my results this time are normal and "look perfect." I am so relieved!!! Looking back and realizing how high my numbers and my weight were when I first started with her, I am SO thankful and proud of how far I've come. She reminded me of my starting weight (which was my all-time high) and said she is so proud of me for the positive changes I've made.

Oh my gosh, I cannot believe that only you and the Head Chef are covering breakfast, lunch, and dinner while the breakfast/lunch cook is quarantining with COVID! Are you literally at the Club from open to close??? That is CRAZY!!! That, along with the repercussions of the drought, the dishmachine breaking, and the Head Groundskeeper being stuck in the UK, sounds like a nightmare for all of you! I am THRILLED that the President of the Club acknowledged all of your hard work with a beautiful note with great compliments (all very true!) and $250! That is so thoughtful and also so well-deserved. Yes, those acts of kindness keep you going!

Well, this is our last long weekend at the lake because our son and daughter both start back to college this week. They both commute from home, and our daughter still wants us to transport her this semester even though she just got her license. Her commute is a half hour and she wants more time to get used to driving, especially with new hand controls. We are still searching for the right car for her and then we will have hand controls installed. Then she will be able to get out on the road for more practice. We couldn't get the hand controls installed in a car for her until after she passed her driving test, so all of her practice was done through scheduled appointments. We will still come to the lake on weekends until hockey season starts in early October. We have half season tickets to our local NHL team's games. It is probably our favorite family event and there were no fans allowed last season due to Covid, so we are really looking forward to this season. But I do NOT want summer to end!!!

It looks like it's just you and me for now, Holly. I'm sorry I don't have a more exciting life to share with you. Lol! I so appreciate that you still post here faithfully. Our group has been around for so many years. Did we decide how many? I would hate to see it end.

Last edited by IBelieveInMe2; 08-21-2021 at 11:35 PM.
Old 08-22-2021, 11:31 AM   #8  

S/C/G: CharlesMup

Thanks for the good work
cruizerdavis is offline   Reply With Quote