Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 06-12-2019, 11:03 AM   #1  

S/C/G: Sw 19 6 Cw 12 8 Gw 10

Height: 5 foot 7

Default Excess skin and depression

am new here. Not new to yo yo dieting and weight issues most of my life. I’m finally at a place where I can see and feel my body getting healthier but need some encouragement as I come towards the end of my journey. Has anyone experienced long term pain due to excess skin and how do you cope with it?
Also please introduce yourselves I am quite lonely and would love to make some online weight loss friends.

Olga x

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 06-12-2019 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Remove GoFundMe link
Mamacita143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 11:14 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 265/134/132-136

Height: 5'6" - 63 YO

I have lost 130lbs AND am at goal weight and have a lot of loose skin

I would not consider skin removal until after I was at goal weight for 6 months. I am considering now and, yes, it is expensive but I figure it honestly is a cosmetic procedure and why should others be expected to pay for it? It is less than a new car and worth more to me than one.

Last edited by grannynancy; 06-12-2019 at 11:31 AM.
grannynancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 04:21 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 265/134/132-136

Height: 5'6" - 63 YO

I can help with the skin problems. I think my last response was rather harsh.

Cotton underwear, no compression clothing really helps. I use corn starch if I can't get to where I am going to dry off during the day but find that keeping it dry is my biggest help. Also athletes foot powder can help. I am very active outdoors and it is very hot and humid in the SE USA so a lot of sweating and bacteria and fungi to cope with. I also use cotton "granny panties" and tuck the cotton in the fold to prevent skin on skin friction.

I never wear bras or undies more than one day and try to sleep so air can circulate. I am sorry about your depression and don't want to be unkind but please love yourself and realize the skin is "battle scars" and you are young - actually some of it may retract on its own.

I gather I was also at 19 stone (265 lbs) and am now at less than 10 stone (135lbs) with no surgery. Big difference is at my age, that skin will not bounce back at all and I know it. At 30 you have a good chance of having a lot of that tightening up and not being nearly so bad.

Be kind to yourself. It may be that if you have ongoing unresolved infections they will at least cover removal of the pannus (pannilectomy) which is not a full tummy tuck or body lift but it gets that big fold off your belly. I know they will here and we don't have any kind of national coverage. I will have to pay out of pocket because I am not letting myself get those infections in the first place.

Last edited by grannynancy; 06-12-2019 at 04:27 PM.
grannynancy is offline   Reply With Quote