Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 04-13-2017, 09:36 PM   #1  

Unhappy Very Frustrated

I really just need to vent a little.

Basically my metabolism is wrecked. I've dealt with disordered eating since I was about 11 (I'm 25 now), and a few years ago when I was put on Paxil I ended up gaining like 30-40 lbs. I switched medications and doctors, but it hasn't helped in terms of weight loss. I'm the heaviest I've ever been (between 190-200 lbs depending on the day) and I can't lose weight no matter what I do.

I eat as best as I can for someone in my financial position. Fruits and veggies, low fat low calorie everything, only whole grains, etc. I eat a minimum of 1200 calories a day. I was exercising (dance classes) a few hours a week until recently (my joint pain has increased quite a lot and now I have trouble doing anything for more than 20 minutes).

I've been doing everything 'right' and with no results. My doctor says she isn't worried about my weight and thinks I should up my calorie intake to 1800 a day, but I honestly don't think I can handle the inevitable weight gain. I feel like I'm so close to breaking down as it is.

We're working on adding a new medication to help with my current antidepressants. I'm on the highest dose of Effexor, which has been going alright until recently. She wants to add in something for my thyroid (which test results says is fine) because it's supposed to help with energy and make the Effexor more effective. Also Vitamin D pills.

I know it's stupid to be so concerned about my weight when I have such severe depression, but I can't help it.

Last edited by retro_rabbit; 04-13-2017 at 09:49 PM.
retro_rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 10:04 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 240/222/199

Height: 5ft 4in

is there anything the doctor can perscribe to help even out your metabolism?
wanna_be_free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 11:05 AM   #3  

She doesn't want to introduce too many new meds at once, so even if there is something I have to wait until my depression is sorted out, which could take months.
Old 04-15-2017, 11:17 AM   #4  

Height: 5'6

I know its hard, because you arent seeing results, and maybe you wont for a while, but its vital you keep exercising and eating right. It may not give you the appearance you want, but it will 100% make you feel better.

Exercise is a drug that no pharmaceutical companies can replace. Its benefits have been shown to improve symptoms in all domains of health. Its truly irreplaceable.

I think once you find that better balance between your prescription pills, your exercise routine will really start to do its work and youll see the change you want. But with all the changes in different pills your body is a bit like "woah" and cant handle all of it and is trying its best to adjust.

I also would avoid more pills you dont need (i.e the thyroid one). I know doctors try hard to sell pills to give you things you can get naturally (like more energy) but i wouldnt do it. Introducing more pills that arent really necessary can set off a cascade of instability IMO
luckystreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 09:41 PM   #5  

Update: I've been put on a new blood pressure pill and started the thyroid medication. It's only day 2 but they said I could see an improvement within 2-4 weeks.

Exercise still isn't going well. Thankfully my joint aches have calmed down a bit but I still have trouble doing even light exercise without getting weak and shakey.

I've been trying to eat more but I don't know how that's going. I try not to count calories too often because I tend to get obsessed, but I've been using 2 slices of bread for my sandwiches and adding cheese to stuff so hopefully that is doing something.

I don't know what my weight is right now and honestly I'm scared to check.
Old 06-12-2017, 03:10 AM   #6  

Past 10lb loss goal

Parent 15lb loss goal

Future 20lb loss goal
healtytips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 01:54 PM   #7  

It's been awhile but I thought I'd come and update this. I've finally been diagnosed with PCOS and fibromyalgia with hypermobility in my knees and elbows. I'm on a slew of different medications and supplements that seem to help a little bit, and I've been doing spoonie yoga as often as I can (which isn't very often unfortunately). I have a referral for warm water pool therapy that I'm looking forward to.

I'm 210 pounds now. I gained the extra ten when my doctor took me off levothyroxine and my joint pain increased like crazy. I'm now taking Armour and cytomel which seems to be helping. My doctor doesn't think I'm hypothyroid because my levels are in range but so far the most effective medications are for Thyroid hormones so I don't know if I believe that.

I've increased my calorie intake to 1500 minimum per day. It's a struggle sometimes. It feels like every day is a struggle itself. But I'm probably being overdramatic.

Maybe in another 5 months I'll come update this again.
Old 11-03-2017, 09:49 AM   #8  

I'd go to a holistic doctor or a naturopath. Your situation can be changed around completely.
Mrs. Fat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 08:55 AM   #9  

It's been another 6 months. I've gained another 17 pounds after being switched from medication to medication. I've been doing warm water pool therapy for my fibromyalgia, which helps for a few hours but not long enough. For awhile I was doing a no refined carbs, no added sugar diet and that helped me lose a little bit of weight, but I couldn't sustain it because of how much it cost. I'm not working anymore, which has been good for my depression/mood, but has made eating healthy more difficult.

I'm trying to get on disability, but that's not going so well. I'm in the appeal process currently. If I do get approved hopefully I can get better food, but until then there's not much I can do.

I've started seeing a therapist. She's helping me write a letter to my doctor requesting to be put on Saxenda or Victoza. Victoza is technically a diabetes medication, but I'm borderline diabetic anyway.

I pushed really hard for a leptin test awhile back, and my result came back at 48, where the max is 15. Leptin is a hormone that tells your body when it's okay to start burning fat for energy, that you have enough stored up. It makes sense that mine would be so high after all the stuff I've put my body through, and it makes sense now why it's so impossible for me to lose weight, but god is it upsetting.

Saxenda/Victoza is supposed to help lower leptin levels, so I suppose it's all up to my doctor if I can finally lose weight. I'm worried because I feel like she doesn't take me seriously some times, and she's said no to putting me on Victoza when I brought it up before. Hopefully the letter from my therapist will help persuade her.

So yeah, that's where I'm at right now. My doctor's appointment is next week, so maybe I'll update this when I get her answer. Wish me luck.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:59 AM   #10  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

Google KETO way of eating and ask to be put on Cymbalta.
annie175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 12:55 PM   #11  

So, to the surprise of no one my doctor said no to saxenda. She thinks focusing on my depression is the way to go, even though that hasn't been working so far. She says there is not much else she can do for me.

I'm switching to a different clinic and a different doctor. I have an appointment set up for tomorrow for the initial exam and whatever. I'm nervous because I have the worst luck with doctors. But hopefully this one will be more open to trying other things.

I'm so frustrated.
Old 03-15-2018, 01:43 PM   #12  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

When what you're doing isn't working, try something else. Personally while you're doing everything "right" according to conventional wisdom, I would put forth that conventional wisdom is dead wrong- and your body is proving it to you. Low fat high carb diets make us fat. The evidence is all around us. It's also been debunked that dietary fat causes heart disease, although the mainstream media won't say much about it. I encourage you to look at primal, paleo or ketogenic diets. Check out websites such as marksdailyapple.com, dietdoctor.com, idmprogram.com . Check out Dr. Jason Fung's videos on YouTube about why we get fat. Read books by Gary Taubes or Dr. Jason Fung. The low fat high carb paradigm is dead wrong, and it's the cause of the obesity epidemic. It's not you that has failed, it's the diet you're using that has failed.

Additionally, many people find that once they get away from processed foods and grains, depression and anxiety symptoms improve greatly or even disappear. The sites I listed above have tons of testimonial articles and videos from people just like you who used low carb or very low carb diets to heal themselves not only of obesity but of mental illness. You may find that your diet is doing more harm than just making you fat.

Last edited by EagleRiverDee; 03-15-2018 at 01:44 PM.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 12:22 PM   #13  

S/C/G: SW: 220/ CW: 199/ GW: 160

Height: 5'8"

So I have had a lot of the same issues you are describing, PCOS, depression/anxiety, weight loss issues. I don't have issues with disordered eating, but I did struggle a lot with joint pain/body aches and extreme fatigue. Incidentally I also have been tested for thyroid issues, and while my thyroid tests were normal, I did test positive for having thyroid antibodies, which pretty much means I have hashimotos and while it isn't as much of an issue now, it likely will be in the future. I tried thyroid medication but I found that it never really helped me. For me it turned out that I ended up being diabetic (at the age of 28 no less) I do have a strong history of diabetes, but I always thought that this was more or less something I wouldn't have to worry about until I was much older. Once I got my blood sugar/ insulin resistance under control I felt AMAZING, better than I had in years. I have always been a little overweight, except for when i did varsity fencing in college, but never too awful, so it was shocking to me that I ended up being diabetic at such a young age. When I was diagnosed I was 5'8" and 217 lbs and decently muscular under the fat. Anyway my point is if you haven't had treatment for any sort of underlying issues like insulin resistance you may want to talk to your doctor about treatment. Since being diagnosed with diabetes I have lost 20lbs and my A1c has gone from 8.9 to 5.8 (high normal) which is amazing! I also feel like I did in high school, I don't ache all the time, I have energy to work out, I am mentally in a MUCH better place. Life is great! Good luck to you!!!
Beaunicorn89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
depression, disorder, medication, weight gain