Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 08-01-2014, 09:08 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 210/210/130

Height: 5'5

Default Zoloft

I have been prescribed zoloft and will be starting it in 5 days. I was on paxil for 4 months and went from 161 to 176. So I am in the process of tapering off from paxil and will start the zoloft in 5 days. However I am so worried that the zoloft will cause weight gain as well. I have read on the internet that weight gain is a possible side effect. I was hoping to hear from anyone else who is taking zoloft and know whether you lost or gained, and what you are experiencing while taking the zoloft? I must add that I gained weight on paxil because it made me extremely hungry so I just kept eating to feed the hunger.

Last edited by lasttime; 08-01-2014 at 10:05 AM.
lasttime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 06:09 PM   #2  
Warrior Princess

The SSRI's themselves do not cause weight gain, calories do. It all depends on you and how well you can control cravings. Keep low calorie snacks around just in case.

Zoloft gave me stomach aches but everyone is different.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:08 AM   #3  

Height: 6-1.5

I agree with the above. Eating causes weight gain. You may be worried about water weight. I got off Zoloft. I got hallucinations. Weird hallucinations. I am now on generic prozac. No side effects after the first month.
giselley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 02:53 PM   #4  

SSRIs are actually subtly sinister. Blocking the anabolic path of serotonin does not benefiet sleep& regeneration (or mood in that regard)

It will however cause a slight thermogenic effect which is not from burning calories but from burning the excess serotonin which can no longer be absorbed.

whats really bad is I know some people who cant really take the dose of the SSRI they are on, so they take it at night instead of in the morning. Of course this will keep you from sleeping, so they take something stronger like trazodone and seroquil to sleep. Complete overkill imho, this combo will slowly cause severe detriment to health.

The ligand is much healthier. 5-htp and an adequate amount of coenzymated b6 will have a potent effect at suppressing appetite. Just make sure to drink enough water with it, a half gram dose can be extremely heavy on your metabolisim if you don't take enough B vitamins with it, and this is the largest singular dose I find beneficial.

Lasttime, you may have been eating to fufill the hunger you felt for the precursors to serotonin.

But you really should not take 5-htp with a SSRI as you'll get a hot flash from burning a bunch more serotonin.
gummi is offline   Reply With Quote