3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Depression and Weight Issues (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/depression-weight-issues-76/)
-   -   Food is my only comfort... (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/depression-weight-issues/295757-food-my-only-comfort.html)

seagirl 06-20-2014 02:21 PM

For me, visiting my doctor and getting a prescription for Wellbutrin. Just as you can't will yourself out of having cancer, very often depression is a medical issue that requires actual medicine to fix it.

PumpkinField 06-20-2014 03:39 PM

I have been in Wellnutrin for years. Sometimes I have to increase it other times if have been on lower doses. But ultimately Overeaters Anonymous helped me with binging. I have relapses but know when I'm in them and know why. I love to swim and exercise lifts endorphins that make you feel better. I keep a poster on my fridge that has 50 reasons why exercise is important so I see it every time I open my fridge. You just need to take the first step and get out and do it. Hobbies can help too, I sew, craft, paint, draw or decorate. When my home looks good I feel good.

Just know your not alone! One small step can lead to big leaps. Just make yourself get started!

startanew 06-20-2014 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earthling (Post 5003871)
I don't really have anything profound to say about depression that no one has ever said before. Or the eating that accompanies it.
But I can relate to having suicidal thoughts due to depression, most of it I attributed to my parents growing up.

This may or may not help. I know it sounds completely loopy and I am NOT in any way religious, but one thing that SERIOUSLY kept me living was the revelation that I had probably signed a spiritual contract to be here. Trust me, I am not saying this merely because it sounds cool and it is something that I want to be true. I don't want it to be true...but... I think it is. Loopy. I know. But what if?

It is a long story on how I arrived at this conclusion and it will certainly sound strange but the point is... this is what I believe... and it is NOT what I WANT to believe. They are separate things. I wish the whole relationship between life/death/souls/physical reality were different... but I cannot deny the unfortunate pattern that is the best fit in my mind on how things work. Which means... we repeat unlearned lessons. :( And I even know what my lessons are for this life. I have 7 of them.

And while I could break my contract via suicide, I would then be required to repeat my lifetime, or a similar life with the same struggles, all over again. And it would be harder because there would be new lessons attached to it. So ending my life isn't actually ending my life at all. It is just making it harder in the next one.
Now... if you hate living so much... is suicide really a solution? Nope. Bummer.
:(
So, if you are feeling particular edgy one day then ask yourself just What If? I certainly don't want to risk it.

This is similar to what I believe. I was raised in the church, and this was something they definitely didnt teach, but I like to believe it's true. I look at life as school for the soul. I think I'm failing miserably but still learning something as I go.

For the OP...food is definitely a comfort and an addiction for me as well. I agree that for the emotional eater, low carb is the way to go because you can still enjoy food for comfort, just different foods. You can eat a whopping 600-800 more calories then most dieters and still lose weight. This won't solve the root of the problem though, and that's where I'm at now. Therapy is what I need and I know this, I've just not worked up the courage to start it yet.

flower123 06-21-2014 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earthling (Post 5003871)
I don't really have anything profound to say about depression that no one has ever said before. Or the eating that accompanies it.
But I can relate to having suicidal thoughts due to depression, most of it I attributed to my parents growing up.

This may or may not help. I know it sounds completely loopy and I am NOT in any way religious, but one thing that SERIOUSLY kept me living was the revelation that I had probably signed a spiritual contract to be here. Trust me, I am not saying this merely because it sounds cool and it is something that I want to be true. I don't want it to be true...but... I think it is. Loopy. I know. But what if?

It is a long story on how I arrived at this conclusion and it will certainly sound strange but the point is... this is what I believe... and it is NOT what I WANT to believe. They are separate things. I wish the whole relationship between life/death/souls/physical reality were different... but I cannot deny the unfortunate pattern that is the best fit in my mind on how things work. Which means... we repeat unlearned lessons. :( And I even know what my lessons are for this life. I have 7 of them.

And while I could break my contract via suicide, I would then be required to repeat my lifetime, or a similar life with the same struggles, all over again. And it would be harder because there would be new lessons attached to it. So ending my life isn't actually ending my life at all. It is just making it harder in the next one.
Now... if you hate living so much... is suicide really a solution? Nope. Bummer.
:(
So, if you are feeling particular edgy one day then ask yourself just What If? I certainly don't want to risk it.

Earthling, I think we would get along well. I have views that sound the same as you. I will not go into more detail. Suffice to say what you wrote sounds like I could have written it.
Quote:

Originally Posted by startanew (Post 5027387)
This is similar to what I believe. I was raised in the church, and this was something they definitely didnt teach, but I like to believe it's true. I look at life as school for the soul. I think I'm failing miserably but still learning something as I go.

For the OP...food is definitely a comfort and an addiction for me as well. I agree that for the emotional eater, low carb is the way to go because you can still enjoy food for comfort, just different foods. You can eat a whopping 600-800 more calories then most dieters and still lose weight. This won't solve the root of the problem though, and that's where I'm at now. Therapy is what I need and I know this, I've just not worked up the courage to start it yet.

I wonder if someone can be failing miserably and learning? I judge myself. But from what I have been told, I am not failing as I think I am. Its a judgement imposed on the self that is misled. I bet you are not failing. Just my guess. I think when people grapple with depression they naturally think they are failing. Even if they are not. I have a feeling you are not failing. I realize I do not know you. But it is the feeling I get from your words.

I agree that therapy to get to the root of the prob is great. Comfort. Addiction. For me thats so true. I try to keep low carb. Although I also have to do low cal. I have to do both. But the low carbs sure do help.
Quote:

Originally Posted by seagirl (Post 5027310)
For me, visiting my doctor and getting a prescription for Wellbutrin. Just as you can't will yourself out of having cancer, very often depression is a medical issue that requires actual medicine to fix it.

I totally agree. Some people can use exercise and suppliments etc. Others dont have much luck with that. Its all so individual. The important thing is that people are able to find what works well for them.

Thanks everyone who wrote on this thread. It is so good to not be alone. Even though I am sorry others are in pain with this.

startanew 06-21-2014 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flower123 (Post 5027568)
Earthling, I think we would get along well. I have views that sound the same as you. I will not go into more detail. Suffice to say what you wrote sounds like I could have written it.

I wonder if someone can be failing miserably and learning? I judge myself. But from what I have been told, I am not failing as I think I am. Its a judgement imposed on the self that is misled. I bet you are not failing. Just my guess. I think when people grapple with depression they naturally think they are failing. Even if they are not. I have a feeling you are not failing. I realize I do not know you. But it is the feeling I get from your words.

I agree that therapy to get to the root of the prob is great. Comfort. Addiction. For me thats so true. I try to keep low carb. Although I also have to do low cal. I have to do both. But the low carbs sure do help.

Thanks. It helps to hear it from someone else. I really don't have a supportive family, my dh doesn't believe in mental illness so it's been tough. But that's why I'm here...to talk it out with people who understand.

flower123 06-22-2014 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by startanew (Post 5027822)
Thanks. It helps to hear it from someone else. I really don't have a supportive family, my dh doesn't believe in mental illness so it's been tough. But that's why I'm here...to talk it out with people who understand.

startannew, I am so sorry he "doesn't believe in mental illness". That makes it so hard. I do not have a h or sig. other. But there are people in my family of origin who think I should just get over it. Those kinds of messages cause me to feel isolated. It is difficult for me to not feel shame because of how I am. They believe that these things can be overcome with some good meds and an attitude change. And for some people, that has worked well. But not all people are that fortunate. Glad you have some place to go. Here!

kcandponies 06-23-2014 03:25 PM

I once heard "Telling someone who has depression - What do you have to be depressed about? You have a great life! - is like telling an asthmatic - what do you mean you can't breathe, there is plenty of air in here!"

startanew 06-23-2014 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcandponies (Post 5028935)
I once heard "Telling someone who has depression - What do you have to be depressed about? You have a great life! - is like telling an asthmatic - what do you mean you can't breathe, there is plenty of air in here!"

Yes that's perfect. I've tried explaining it to him until I'm blue in the face, he just doesn't get it. He thinks I should just get up and get over it. He doesn't understand that it's affecting me physically as well. Don't get me wrong, he's very supportive in most aspects of life,just not this. It's so frustrating.