Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 03-02-2013, 01:19 PM   #1  
Moostacular

Height: 5'5"

Default Dysthymia and a Happy Journal

Hey everyone

So about a year ago I started going to a therapist because I was having a mental block and after 2 months I was diagnosed with dysthymia. For those of you that don't know what it is, it's a mild form of depression but is also long term. I've had mine since childhood.

While a lot of the time I can keep it under control, I do experience periods of extreme low points. Not wanting to get out of bed, not wanting to see the sun or people, binge eating,etc.

I didn't really have insurance, so I was paying for my therapist out of pocket and have since stopped after I've moved. Nor can I afford it after going back to school. But the one thing that stuck with me was keeping a "Happy Journal". I little journal where you write happy and supporting things about yourself. With my dysthymia, I was so use to beating myself up mentally. I've found that keeping this journal and making little entries has been helping. It's basically writing down affirmations and if you slip up, you don't scold yourself, you just verbally pat yourself on the back and say you'll do better.

I was just looking out to see if anyone else had the same challenges and what they do to cope during those low points

Last edited by WTF Moose; 03-02-2013 at 01:19 PM.
WTF Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:11 PM   #2  
Warrior Princess

I was diagnosed with dysthymia in high school but I never really treated it. I've tried several anti-depressants but there was never any huge improvement so I just live with it now. I don't know life any other way, it's my "normal" but my anxiety has always been much worse.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:51 AM   #3  
Moostacular

Height: 5'5"

I was starting to think I was the only one out here . I'm sorry to hear that novangel, have you ever tried constantly writing down happy thoughts and going back to read them? I also find with eating healthier and exercising my anxiety is getting better.
WTF Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:27 PM   #4  
Warrior Princess

I was never big on writing things down but I do find exercise to be a huge help.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:45 PM   #5  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Hey WTF Moose! sorry I didn't say hey right away . Not that I'm the Depression Welcome Wagon or anything

I absolutely agree about the need to HAMMER positive thoughts into us. Most of my life I'm down on myself or just about constantly comparing or criticizing myself.

in fact, today I wanted to come to 3FC and start a thread called "I'm Awesome Because..." and then list some reasons why

Oh and exercising is a big part of my 'therapy'. I have only seen a counselor once (no insurance for it) and don't have anyone to talk to, but I know the consistent exercise is a godsend for me. I overeat on good foods, I eat bad foods, I have a terrible time with eating but my exercise habits are gold.
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote