Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 02-17-2013, 08:39 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 152/cw 147/gw 135/ugw 130

Height: 5'7''

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbyface View Post
I'm a very hands on person. One thing that has helped me is this. Plot your weight loss in a spread sheet then graph it. This way you can get an over all picture of what your body is doing. For me it helps because I can see real results over time. Also I can see patterns in how and when weight comes off. Example: I plateau for about 5 days then GAIN a couple pounds then the next couple of days I lose about 4 pounds(the ones I put on plus new pounds lost).
For me this works because I can have faith and believe in something which then in turn helps with my depression. Having actual proof via results you can see makes it clear that diet and exercise works which is what motivates me.
Total agreement here, as well. I was in an emotionally abusive relationship for 3 years in college, where I lost a LOT of weight in a very unhealthy way because I was convinced if I was as skinny as the girl my SO was cheating on me with, then he'd stop cheating. (I know, I know. Let's not even go there). Then I went to law school after breaking up with the SO, and gained 20 lbs because a) I was eating, and b) I had no one to guilt trip me every time I ate something I wanted to eat. That led to a really awful cycle of being happy I could eat what I wanted, eating too much of what I wanted, gaining weight, and then shaming myself for it. Now, paired with depression, it was just AWFUL. I have now taken control of the situation with a mildish dose of zoloft, but what really helps me stay out of the depressed eating/shaming cycle is counting my calories (I use MFP) and seeing the graph for my progress. I hope you are able to hang in there!!!! xoxoxoxoxox
bubblybarrister is offline   Reply With Quote