Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 08-25-2012, 04:23 PM   #1  

Red face Borderline Personality disorder

Basically i was diagnosed as a young adult by a team of all different professionals , it was so bad at one point my life i wasn't even allowed to see my kids. 4 Years on , ive gotten therapy and im living back at home with my girlfriend and kids , the catch is. During the massive break down i had within those 4 years , a fit healthy young man weighing in at around 12 stone , gained 7 stone in a very very short period of time.

I had a heart attack scare a few months ago and now i know ive pulled my finger out and started my slimfast/weight watchers diet i will go into the details below after my little rant. The diet is working well for me , in 3 weeks ive dropped a lot of water weight , the diet officially started 6 days ago.

My problems are getting so moody on the diet , i have to shut myself away from everyone for the first few weeks because i get so ratty and irritate even more so than anyone else whos dieting , its stressing my girlfriend out and im trying to get to understand its for everyone's own good , me being away from everyone at the moment is something i feel is necessary for me to be successful for now once i get into the swing of things i will be fine , of course i down downstairs when ever im in a good mood or i feel like i wont upset anyone but ive also got to think about what could be said to me. The slightest thing may well put me off the diet completely , saying that my sister has upset me a few times and ive still stayed loyal to the diet.

As it stands i weighted myself 3 weeks ago and i was 19 stone 10 pounds , today for the official weight in , im 17 stone 10. So things are happening for me.

Im just trying to figure out what i can do to be around people without getting annoyed so easily , ive always had a short fuse its part of my label and i can control myself , but deep down i get hurt way to easily.
Richens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 05:30 PM   #2  
Lifestyle Changes

S/C/G: 295/sig/175

Height: 5'9

Well, how many meals are you replacing with Slim Fast? I don't find replacement shakes too satisfying and only drink them if I'm in a hurry. Otherwise, there are some things that keep me from being irritable and grouchy.

Good sleep is the first, and a must. Without it I'm just not myself. I need eight solid hours or else. A lot of people are used to functioning on less so they think they don't 'need' that sleep but once you start getting that sleep it's completely different, like lifting a fog!

The best thing for me is to eat. I eat a lot still and have been losing consistently. Obviously I haven't lost a large amount of weight and that's partly because I attempted to stop counting calories. While I have a pretty good estimate it's easy to overeat when you're not sure. If I were you I'd look into health recipes, 600 calories or under. Find things that you can eat a lot of that are low calorie.

Start cooking. When I cook my meal I feel way more satisfied. Also, eating slowly helps your brain catch on to the fact you're eating so you don't feel deprived.

There are a lot of tips. My problem has never been the hunger, it's the cravings! Maybe you could start by distinguishing the source or irritability. You need to be objective. When you feel your blood boiling take a deep breath and ask yourself "Why? Why am I mad?". Hungry, tired, lonely, sad, in pain?

Hopefully that helped a bit. I used to be a very irritable person and now it's hard to find me being grumpy, unless I haven't eaten or had my sleep!
thewalrus0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 07:34 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 250/243/168

Height: 5'10

Hey there Richens,

I also have BPD and I'm struggling a little with the moods on my new diet, but then I think that as a matter of course with BPD I seem to struggle with ANYTHING new at first.

I am pretty motivated this time around, but I also struggle with feelings of self-doubt and that's often projected into me misinterpreting things people say to me as them putting me down as much as I do myself, if that makes sense.

Sorry, I don't really have any advice since I'm going through the same thing - but try not to put too much pressure on yourself, you're doing a great thing which will improve your life a lot, and that's no easy thing at all!

Congrats on the weight loss so far
emmabeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:03 PM   #4  
Empress/Queen

I am likely much, much older than you and still struggle with the weight and personality problems similiar to your diagnosis of BPD. I still don't have too many answers to how to manage moods in relation to being around and dealing with others, while still managing my weight. But I've done it for 20 years, somehow. Blessings, you will sort it out. My only advice is just to take things a day or even an hour at a time and not beat yourself up and not feel you have to put yourself into solitary confinement so as not to bother other people. Work diligently, as you are doing, on your weight and fitness, focus on that and on getting whatever help you are getting from your medical and spiritual support system to help you learn ways of coping with being around others and try to love everyone as best you can.

Congratulations on that weight loss. Woot!
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote