Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 07-14-2012, 03:05 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 274/see ticker/175

Height: 5"4

Default Generic Wellbutrin

Has anyone found that it stalls weight loss? i started out losing and then the last 2 weeks i am at the same number....my eating is still good, still doing my exercise, but i'ts stuck....i thinking my meds are making me stall...i take 300mg a day....i'm at the point i just want to quit the meds...i will NOT let anything stop my weight loss efforts
Chrissy31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:38 AM   #2  

S/C/G: See tracker :3

Height: 5'5

:/ Most people have the opposite symptom, honestly.

It might be worth talking to your doctor about? 2 weeks isn't very long....are you losing any inches? Could you be retaining water for some reason? Maybe TOM is near?
DandelionCupcakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:05 AM   #3  

I've been taking it for around 8 weeks....i lost weight at first but they do say after 2 weeks it stops...ughh i dont know...always the same couple of pounds ;(
Old 07-15-2012, 02:27 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 220/216/130

Height: 5'4

When I was on it, I lost my appetite but didn't really lose at all. I was taken off of it after a short time, though, so I'm not sure. :/
magicsocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:24 PM   #5  

Maybe it's a good time to reeeallllyy pick apart exactly what you're doing with your food and work out habits? Just to make sure that the pills are the issue. :c

I know how you feel, though. I wouldn't let anything EVER get in the way of me getting to my goal, even if it was helping me a lot in some other way. I'm a lady on a mission.

Have you spoken to your doc yet?
Old 07-16-2012, 07:44 PM   #6  

Dandelion....trust me, it does not get pickier than me...i'm eating better than ever, heck i made cupcakes with the kids and not a bite not even a lick, no inclination to want to...i made the BAD mistake of not taking my medication for 2 days, today the third day i felt awful....so i started taking it again, i need my meds as i just cant slip back into the all consuming depression again, and i am much happier on them. I did speak to my Doc and shes in the thinking that its a normal plateau, which it could be...i was stuck in the 220's for 2 and a half months and that was before medication! she also said it partly could be the meds, who knows...all i know is i need my medication and i just need to forge ahead...this plateau will have to end soon
Old 07-17-2012, 11:03 PM   #7  

I'm impressed at your willpower! I'm glad it's helping your depression, though. That's really good. I haven't decided if it's helping me yet lol.

I'm coming off a pretty long plateau myself so I know how you feel. I hope it has nothing to do with the medication because if it's working, well, I assume you want to keep with it! Also congrats on the 66 pounds lost, I just saw that :] Fabulous.

I hope the scale starts moving for you soon :]
Old 07-18-2012, 11:57 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 242/242/150

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissy31 View Post
Has anyone found that it stalls weight loss? i started out losing and then the last 2 weeks i am at the same number....my eating is still good, still doing my exercise, but i'ts stuck....i thinking my meds are making me stall...i take 300mg a day....i'm at the point i just want to quit the meds...i will NOT let anything stop my weight loss efforts
Wellbutrin is actually used for weight loss, I am told by my physician. Could it be any other medication? Most people reach a plateau, some for a week, some for more. Please give it more time and please don't stop the Wellbutrin and don't give up your weight loss program. You can do it and know that diet, exercise, sleep and water are sure pills for control of depression.
Blueskywyoming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:55 PM   #9  
I'm the lost princess...♥

S/C/G: 276 / See Ticker!! / 125

Height: 5'3"

I was on the generic Welbutrin and felt I was gaining... Plus I didn't feel it helped with any of my symptoms. If it helps you and you want to continue using it I would do that. If it isn't helping and is impeding your progress or making you gain I would ask your doctor about switching meds. Sometimes it takes awhile to find the perfect elixir.

I am now taking Seroquel XR and Lamictal and I am doing much better (but gained back some weight). Honestly, my piece of mind is most important to me. I can fight through the rest... But I am not falling to society mainstream belief that my weight is more important then my mental well being. I am going to try my best (and already have lost a few pounds now that my body has had a couple months to adjust to the meds) to get healthy.

Welbutrin only helps you lose I think 10% of your body weight over a year according to my primary care physician (though I now see a psychiatrist, for the past year). I have googled this question on line and found that many people on the generic Welbutrin experience the same thing you are.

It is possible to lose weight on these meds (though it may be tougher), I work at a clinic that treats the Severely Mentally Ill and have had clients diligent enough to lose weight- but trust me, on these meds it is not easy. But who said losing weight was going to be easy? (Although I wish it was.)
DreamAngelsHeavenly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:58 PM   #10  

well i think it was a regular plateau, my weight has moved again...lost a couple of pounds My mood on this medication is so much better, and knowing that i am still loosing weight is wonderful
Old 07-25-2012, 02:58 PM   #11  

I was diagnosed with depression and started taking generic Wellbutrin. I never saw a difference (gain or loss) in my weight and at the time I was not trying to lose. I had gotten this from my regular family doctor and had been on it for about a year when I went to the gynecologist last November. I am not sure what her problem with the med was, but she acted a bit freaked out that I was on it. I had some other complaints (such as facial hair and generally not feeling well). She told me that she didn't think it was so much a depression problem, but hormonal, so she sent me for testing. Come to find out my testosterone levels were through the roof and she started me on estrogen and I have felt so much better. Went off the ant-depressant meds at the end of the year and I have not been depressed since. I was afraid I would gain, but I haven't had an issue with the new pills.
Jp7189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:08 PM   #12  
On the path to a new me

S/C/G: 274/264/175

Height: 5'3"

I also take the generic wellbutrin and I really haven't noticed a weight loss or gain but rather I seem to be on a plateau. I am on other medications for mental health that could be messing with the weight although the advanced nurse practitioner I see knows about the weight loss goal and is working with me to try to find either weight loss friendly psych medications or weight neutral ones.
I am just at the beginning of my weight loss journey, well not really but I am at the beginning doing it with the Beck diet formula.
Midnightsun68 is offline   Reply With Quote