Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 07-07-2012, 04:41 PM   #1  

S/C/G: See tracker :3

Height: 5'5

Default Bupropion/Generic Welbutrin and NO appetite.

Hi again everyone
Not sure if I should be happy or not, but I usually count calories and have kind of stopped because I'm getting in the habit of just sort of knowing, you know?

Anyway I decided to count the other day and I only ate 645.
:I Super not good.

I have had literally NO desire to eat with this Bupropion...and it has helped my depression immensely but I just completely forget to eat.

It's not like food repulses me, I'm just not into it anymore. I was excited at first but now I realize I've been eating WAY too little.

So clearly I have to force myself to eat. I've just set alarms on my phone, lol. Because if I wait until I feel hungry that time just never comes.

Just thought I'd share the somewhat extreme side effect for anyone considering taking it. It kicks butt though :] I'm much more motivated.

Has anyone else had this?
DandelionCupcakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:32 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 295/241/145

Height: 5'4''

Wellbutrin is known for causing significant appetite suppression and weight loss, but I've found that the extreme side effects wear off (for me at least) within several weeks. Your appetite may always be damped slightly as long as you take wellbutrin, but probably much of it will come back - so I don't think you need to be too worried. I never forced myself to eat, just enjoyed the 10 pound weight loss I got with starting wellbutrin and then tried to eat normally once those effects subsided.
graceandbalance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:45 PM   #3  
m3k
One LB at a time...

S/C/G: 222/Ticker/160

Height: 5' 6"

I actually just posted my story about this.

I started taking Zoloft for anxiety and my appetite left. It hasn't come back yet.

I was a little concerned, because some days I just wasn't consuming enough calories, however, it hasn't hurt my weight loss and I'm still healthy. I've got a lot to lose yet. I've got plenty of fat stores to sustain me. Hehe.

If you're never hungry, it probably is a good idea to remind yourself to eat, because it is imperative that you aren't malnourished. You don't want to do any harm.
m3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:48 PM   #4  
Changing for the better

S/C/G: 268/257/150

Height: 5'8"

Wellbutrin has done almost the same for me which is why my doctor chose it specifically. Just make sure you're getting proper nutrition and you will be just fine!
TiffNeedsChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:52 PM   #5  

S/C/G: See tracker :3

Height: 5'5

Thanks guys
It's just scary because boyfriend approached me the other night and said "What've you had to eat?" and I said "Lemon water, fruit and half a mini bagel" and he got a terrible worried look on his face.

Anywho! Yes. It seems even more important to watch what I eat on it now...to make sure I'm not dying and whatnot.

Glad this is a side effect that's normal and not worth bringing up to the doc. :]
DandelionCupcakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:47 PM   #6  
Sarcastic Non-Chick Chick

S/C/G: 360/192/150

Height: 5'7"

The first week, I wasn't hungry at all. Fortunately, it wore off (I started it when I was already well into my weight loss, so having an appetite change was a little annoying).

That being said, I agree--it kicks butt. It's not a perfect drug for me--I still get some breakthrough blues--but I'm about a million times better than I was a few months ago.
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:26 PM   #7  

Just chiming in with what everyone else said. The appetite suppressing side effect wore off for me too. Every time my dosage was increased, I got it again. But it always faded away. Also, the mood-lifting effect wore away for me too unfortunately. I'm currently taking it in combination with Lamictal and that's working ok.
Rachella is offline   Reply With Quote