Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2003, 06:54 PM   #1  

Default Here goes everything!

Hi
I am Islandgurl29. I joined a while ago, but haven't been on in a very long time. Mostly the reason is that I gave up AGAIN!!
So I am starting all over again. THIS IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE REST OF MY LIFE.
SO first I'd like to reintroduce myself:

I am a 29 year old married woman, a mother of 2 and I live in Canada. I suffer depression and mild agoraphobia. ( Yes it is the fear of leaving home, but also the fear of many other things...that will make you uncomfortable so you refuse to do these things.) I believe my depression and agoraphobia and weight issues are all connected like one big cycle.
Weight gain leads to depression which leads to more weight gain which leads to agoraphobia which then leads to weight gain again and then leads to depression all over again!!
But today I started one thing that will help change my attitude. I got up early and ate breakfast. A blowl of special K. Eating breakfast is something I rarely do. I also have been drinking water. And for lunch I had a hamburger. This is all today. I am feeling good!!
When I had my 2 children I had gestational diabeties. So I am in a very high category for becoming a diabetic. Heart problems run on my mother side of the family, so this has become a scary realistic fact that I have to consider. But mostly I am doing this for me. I want to do so many things but I can't as an over weight person. I am tired of being tired....literally. I don't know what it feels like to have energy Sad, isn't it
But I am going to do it! I can do this I know I can!
I really want support and advise and friendship. SO please reply to my stuff, I will reply back
Islandgurl29
Old 02-10-2003, 07:08 PM   #2  

Default Welcome

So glad you could join us. most of us here are either suffereing from clinical depression, have suffered from it or have someone in the family that is dealing with it. We all know how you feel.

I completely understand the feeling tired thing. Everything seems to be a great effort. Depression can effect every aspect of your life. Are you currently getting any treatment for your depression? Medication/Therapy.. etc?

Eating breakfast is a great start. I don't know what plan you are going to use or if you have even decided on one... but I'll give you a few ideas that have worked wonders for me. One, exercise!! yep.. that dreaded "E" word. It has done so much for my energy and mood, I cannot even begin to extol it's virtures. Start slow, I didn't start out 5 days a week 45 minutes a day... I worked up to that. Second.. veggies are your friend. Eat more veggies.. try new ones.. try ones you didn't like before, but try them in new ways. Three - come here to post. I am sure I have other ideas, but those are the big two that have worked for me.

It's all baby steps.. keep moving forward, one positive change at a time!!
Old 02-10-2003, 07:40 PM   #3  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Welcome !!!!

If you don't mind our nuttiness we'd love for you to hang out with us.

But just let me start by saying you are not sad !! Your no different then the rest of us with starting a new every day, after all thats why God gave us each and every beautiful day. I too fail almost every day but then tomorrow I start all over again because I do know I will get it right one of these days.

Your with company when you say your tired and you have no energy but as LindaT keeps telling me, the more you exercise the more you will get energy but this pea brain of mine won't soak that up

I'm really glad you decided to join us, we could use all the help we can get (okay well at least I can).

Huggs !!!!!

Love, Leenie

Pssssssssst..........there's a bio board you might want to post your bio on so we can get to know you and please post with us on the daily boards.

Last edited by Leens; 02-11-2003 at 09:10 AM.
Old 02-10-2003, 09:10 PM   #4  

Hey thanx Linda T and Leens. It means alot to me to be welcomed!
I have been taking daily medication for my depression. I take Paxil 60 mg/day and I am getting support through a councelor and a great family doctor )who knows, when I am having a tough time just by looking at me) !! I also will continue to come here to get support through my groups I have online.
I look forward to meeting many people on here
Islandgurl29
Old 02-11-2003, 08:21 AM   #5  
Soon to be Sex Symbol!

Islandgurl29---Where abouts in Canada are you?
Old 02-12-2003, 12:16 AM   #6  

I'm in Alberta!
Closed Thread