Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 11-08-2010, 02:04 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 220/218/145.

Height: 5'9".

Unhappy ugh.

i'll try to be as brief as i can. basically, i'm 20 years old. i got diagnosed with major depression and acute anxiety about 3 years ago. saw some counesling but it was more of a hassle to communite to my therapist than it was rewarding, so i discontinued treatment. today i am on prozac 20 mg and it seems to be motivating me slightly. i have horrible health anxiety and you'd think with my worrying that i'd be more concentrated on my lifestyle, but i often let my health slide in fear of the truth. i just got diagnosed with high cholesterol and my doctor is concerned i'm at risk for a heart attack before the age of 45 so he prescribed me medication to mediate my body and reccomends i begin with a casual walk 30 minutes a day 6 days a week. however this information has been troubling me and i haven't made any changes. i don't know what my problem is! i seriously have a food addiction. i'll be looking through magazines at these beautiful bodies and it makes me want to eat a cookie. my boyfriend is very supportive and doesn't push me to do too much too fast, but i still feel like i have to hide my eating habits from him although it's obvious in my appearance that i'm not taking care of myself. my medication is supposed to help supress my appetite, however i haven't noticed any changes in my eating habits. where do i begin?
leahbiaxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:43 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Unfortunately, side effects like suppressing appetite don't apply to everyone. Most people have to consciously make a dietary change to see weight loss, regardless of what medications they are on.

So you begin by...making a decision to eat less, and trying to achieve that each day. And if you eat too much one day, getting right back on plan the next.

It might help if you set out a plan for yourself. Write out what you intend to eat for one day. Stick to that plan. Repeat.

Breaking the cycle of overeating can be tough, but there is plenty of evidence here at 3FC that it can be done.

Good luck!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 01:33 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 220/218/145.

Height: 5'9".

thanks a lot for your support

i know it's going to take a lot of time and patience but it's something that needs to be done. i will keep you posted on my progress.
leahbiaxo is offline   Reply With Quote