Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 05-14-2010, 04:01 AM   #1  
Going, going, gone

S/C/G: 295/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Thumbs down Mania Rollercoaster--anyone else deal with this?

I have severe Bipolar I, with severe mania but very seldom depression. Most of the time, I am fine and "normal." I feel good, try to stay positive, and work on improving my health and life. I have mild to moderate mania every other week or so. But every few months, I get a really bad manic phase. I won't sleep for three days, can't eat, racing repetitive thoughts, the whole thing. I know it is because I am not currently medicated (I don't have health insurance). My problem is getting myself through that phase so I am able to exercise and eat right while it is happening. These phases tend to last 3-7 days.

This afternoon, I was feeling really out of it because I haven't slept. I needed to exercise (I work out six days a week for an hour) and I knew that the endorphins would help me to feel better. I didn't think I would make it, but after walking to a park with a friend and back, I had made a complete 180 degree turn from my previous emotional mess. I felt fine, and though I am still clearly in the manic stage, I don't feel like I am going to lose it. For future reference, or if this happens again tomorrow morning, do any of you have any ideas about how to get through this period when you don't want to move or eat (right or otherwise)?
asharksrevenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 12:48 PM   #2  
Big Miss Sunshine

S/C/G: 280/See Ticker/175

Height: 72.5"

I'm so sorry you have no med insurance but is there any way you can get to a doc for an intake visit? Have you been on meds before? If so, maybe a family practice doc would be willing to tide you over. Many mood stablizers are generic and affordable.

Hugs and best of luck.
MissKoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 01:19 PM   #3  
Caroline

S/C/G: 173/ticker/123

Height: 5' 5"

There are mental health centers where you can treatment for a small co-pay and sometimes meds for free. I used to pay $40 for a visit (still do even with insurance) and get free meds. They had therapy too, but there was a long waiting list. Call around and find your local mental health center. Untreated bipolar tends to get worse over time.

Good luck.
motivated chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:17 PM   #4  

Height: 5'4"

I use Seroquil for emergencies when I am so manic I can't sleep. I have Bipolar2 so I'm guessing my episodes aren't as severe. I can't imagine trying to manage this illness without meds. Make sure you aren't taking anything that can be a stimulant - like decongestants - can make it 20X worse. I agree with the other ladies - you need to get treatment. If there isn't a mental health center you can find then call your local hospital and speak to someone in the social services office. They should be able to steer you in the right direction. A state clinic should have a sliding fee scale and many pharmaceutical companies can help with medication costs. Don't give up - be persistent. Before I was treated properly I was almost non-functioning. I was curled up in a ball crying - so depressed and/or so scared that I couldn't do anything.

You need to find help. If it seems overwhelming the n ask a friend to help locate resources. I know when I'm manic I can't concentrate on anything long enough to get things done.

{{{{{{{{{ hugs }}}}}}}}}}

This illness sucks but there is help out there.
witchyonadiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 03:10 AM   #5  
Going, going, gone

S/C/G: 295/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Thank you all for your great advice and help! Here is a little about my situation:

I was diagnosed Bipolar I about two years ago, when I was recovering from a very serious addiction. The psychiatrist was a little hesitant to diagnose me until I had been clean a year, but once I hit that point, it was very clear I was Bipolar. I had been taking Celexa, Depakote, Abilify and Trazodone. I was also going to therapy. I maintained this schedule of medicine (eventually dropping Abilify because I was concerned for my health due to cholesterol) for over a year. I haven't had medical insurance since I was 16 (I'm 28 now), and have used free/low-cost clinics before, as well as state sponsored programs. I am very diligent about my mental health and am very active in my treatment. When I graduated from college this last winter, I knew I would be out of medication, so I attempted to apply for Medi-Cal and other programs, but seemingly without success. I know I will get relief soon, as my Master's program begins in August, but it is rough going now. The depression side of it rarely bothers me, but the manic side kicks my A.

Anyway, I will research available treatment in this city tonight. Hopefully I'll be able to find something free or very, very low cost, as at this point I could not swing a $40 copay. I hate being broke! I am one of those rather unfortunate young people that are in college/have just graduated, don't have a stable career to offer them great health insurance, and can't pay the rates on private insurance. We slip through the cracks and it is difficult. Such a shame this country is in, that my friends and I have to consider how sick we are or how much more pain we can take before we go to the hospital, all because we couldn't afford medical care!
asharksrevenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 11:55 AM   #6  

Height: 6-1.5

I say this to everyone I see without insurance. Check to see if you can get into a community based health service. It is usually for poor people, but they also take uninsured people (in my case I am both). It took me about 4 months to get in, so try to get in before anything goes wrong. I have dental, and doctor for a co-pay of 15-30 dollars, as well as 4$ generic pills-- I get free (tax subsidized) yearly gyn tests, and mammogram, even anti-depressants and stuff like that. If you make more money than what is considered "poverty level" they will simply pro-rate according to your salary. It's about as close to American national health insurance as you can get-- A little slow in the waiting room, but I have gotten in without appointment quickly several times.

Last edited by giselley; 05-15-2010 at 11:59 AM.
giselley is offline   Reply With Quote