Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 05-29-2010, 03:10 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 156/140

Height: 5'5"

Default I been crying all morning

I woke up this morning in a "so so" mood, while in the toilet my husband rub on me his weight lose of 20 lbs, he looks great. I decided to weight my self and the fkn reality hit me I am now 156 lbs, I been crying since, i have mixed emotions I feel mad at the world right now. 2 weeks ago I stopped my meds and I pmsing everything looks like a disaster.

all I want is to lose 15 lbs now, it just to be 10. I feel defeted by everything the weight, the anxiety, the depression.
dalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 04:08 PM   #2  
Four Leaf Clover

S/C/G: 224/210.5/160

Height: 5' 5.5"

I know the feeling. I had depression for over a year, and I've been overweight all my life. In the last year, I have finally gotten past the depression and I'm working on the weight.
Weight, like many things, seems really overwhelming when you look at the huge numbers. But improvement only takes little steps. You can tackle the 10 or 15 lbs that you want to lose through individual choices: choose do 15 extra crunches, choose to not get that one package of cookies, choose to walk around the block on a beautiful day. It doesn't need to be overwhelming. You don't need to run out and start training for a marathon. You could, but it doesn't need to be that hard. It doesn't need to dominate the other things in your life.
I know that the depression can really make it much harder to get out there and get fit, but try to find one thing that uses calories that you love to do (tennis, basketball, playing with your dog, people watching at a park); my inspiration for now is dancing. Every time I go to the gym, I remember that I'm trying to get back into dance at a competitive level. I remember that for that one thing, I can do this.
Everything might be a disaster, but it's nearly all fixable. You can influence a lot more things than you realize right now; missing the bus might be a one shot deal, but becoming healthier and happier is an everyday challenge.
Depression is an everyday struggle, but I found that the ability to calm my mind and center was very helpful. Even if it sounds cheesy, try a guided meditation. I like Deepak Chopra's Healing Meditation and it helped me a lot. Once there's a calm refuge, it makes the rest a little easier.
I hope that helps a little. There's no magic fix, but remember that you're more powerful than you realize; you just have to find ways to take back control, one tiny step at a time.
fourleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 09:48 PM   #3  

thanks Fourleaf,

Your words are very kind, one of the things I love about this place is you always find good, good words, good people, good attitud.

By the way, I love dancing also, ball room dancing is one of my fav.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:56 PM   #4  
Four Leaf Clover

S/C/G: 224/210.5/160

Height: 5' 5.5"

I'm just glad that I could help a bit! I know that life can be tough some days.
I did/will do Irish dance, but I always wanted to try ballroom; it looks so fun!

I hope that you have a better day tomorrow ^_^
fourleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 10:36 AM   #5  

Height: 5'4"

{{{{{{{hug}}}}}}}

I hope you are having a better today today. One thing I had learned - and forgotten of late - is that even if you have are having a bad food day, you can always turn it around. If you messed up and ate something you shouldn't have - eat right the rest of the day. I think the same thing goes for moods even though I know you can't help being depressed sometimes. When you have a day like that - try to soothe yourself with something - a small thing. Make a list of what you LOVE about yourself - or even like about yourself. Call a friend, take a walk, read a book that makes you happy. I know it's hard. I am Bipolar 2 with PTSD and anxiety and I'm a single Mom and it all gets so overwhelming. It IS hard to try to cheer yourself up but if you practice tools for doing it while you are having good days it can become easier.

Here is one for you -
I JUST started my day and my son is doing something that is bringing me way down and I was going to eat. I just saw your post and it has stopped me and made me remember the coping tools that helped me lose all the weight to begin with - so THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!
witchyonadiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 10:41 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 293/195/130

Height: 5'2

I hope today is a better day for you!!!!!
startswimming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 02:57 PM   #7  
movin on...

S/C/G: 85/79/65 KG

Height: 163cm

Sometimes I feel the same way and it seems like nothing is working the way it should be. Hopefully, u'll be able to get back on track soon and won't feel so defeated. Just remember u will not always feel that way and there will be also 'good days' that will give you strength to move on and become stronger step by step! Dont give up :-)
gnocchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 08:00 PM   #8  

thank you all,

Yes! I feel much better today. yesterday was difficult, you know, I think tne majority of us usually focus on the problem instead of the solution. Yesterday when my husband show me how good he was doing I was totally mad, I felt fat, I felt like I failed and the truth is that I did, but at the end that was exactly what I needed to wake up from this denial I was living in. Must accept that He ( my husband) is been working on it very hard, he has made some sacrifices and they are paying off.

Today I measure my portions, I drank lots of water;and I have to keep in mind that changes don't happen overnight, need to be patient and in the long run the small , tiny ,little changes will be the beginning of a revolution.

thanks for you support.
Dalina
Old 06-01-2010, 08:02 PM   #9  

Please don't worry sister, your perception of things being a lot worse than they are is largely to do with your discontinuing your medication, it should pass before long. If not then please don't hesitate to speak to your doctor, it's important to keep talking.

We all hope you feel a LOT better soon, and please take care!
EatYourGreens is offline   Reply With Quote