Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 06-13-2010, 08:16 PM   #1  

Default New

I was put on prozac three years ago and went from size 6 to 14 . Now, I'm not saying it's the medication. Not directly. But I was so tired on it that I stopped going to the gym. Without exercise I'm unable to drop an ounce.

So Now I'm on celexa. I need the medication. Without it I chase cars (perimenopause is fun) I'm moody, mean, emotional. So for the sake of my family I take the drug. But I think it does make it more difficult to drop weight.
That and the menopause.

Anyone on celexa?
Image is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:56 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 215/185/150

Height: 5'6"

Image,
I was on Prozac many years ago and it also made me very tired. It was frustrating because my psychiatrist told me that it was not one of the side effects, but when you are falling asleep at your desk...

I was on Pristiq a couple of years ago and I felt better but still not quite right. I still had the rage and mood swings. I finally found a pdoc who spent a lot of time with me and asked a lot of questions. She concluded that I have bipolar disorder and put me on a mood stabilizer (Lamictal) which has made all the difference in my life. Even my husband says that I am SO much better than I was before. I am off the roller coaster. I never considered bipolar because I didn't think that I had the manic side, but since I've been on meds, I see that they were there but just not that severe.

Now, I'm not suggesting that you are bipolar. I just know that for bipolars, anti-depressants don't work. They don't work and sometimes, they make things work. Right now, I wouldn't give up my meds for anything in the world. It's just something to consider. Also since I have been on the meds, I have been able to stay with a healthy eating plan which has helped my whole family and I have lost weight.

That's just my opinion. I could be wrong.
mom with issues is offline   Reply With Quote