Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 04-29-2010, 05:02 PM   #1  

Default St John's Wort

Does anyone here use St. John's Wort? Does it work?
Bamachic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 12:31 PM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hi Bamachic and

I would suggest you doing a search on this board for St John's Wort, I know this topic has been discusses many times so you should find lots of answers.

Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 12:55 AM   #3  
bex

S/C/G: 260.5/207/150

I have used it before and found it to make quite a difference.
I would definitely recommend doing some research on it though because it can interfere with other meds.
bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:36 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 196/186/150

Height: 5'1"

I think it varies between people. It did help me a bit when I was younger.

If not, though, I would highly suggest trying 5HTP. Also natural and has does wonders for me.
CityLights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 08:01 AM   #5  
Amazing will be me

i have used it briefly, would love to really give it a good run to see if it really does wrk however ive heard it affects the contraceptive pill.
lucky8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 03:30 PM   #6  
Counting away!

S/C/G: 217/211/122

Height: 5'3

I use it.

I had to get off of birthcontrol (it was hindering my weightloss) so I started the SJW back up.

BIG diffference. I feel more chipper and don't freak out as bad.

Now its not as effective as actual depression meds, but I had some pretty messed up side efffects from all three that I tried and have found that exercise, sunshine, journalling and the occasional few weeks of taking SJW are effectively managing my symptoms.
parkedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:28 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 212/195/155

Height: 5' 8.5"

I am seriously considering taking this. It doesn't effect weight as much as chemical drugs do, and since I don't have insurance, it is the cost effective way to go. Improving my diet has helped my mood a lot, and I am certain that taking a med will push things over the top so that I have the energy I need to get my life back on track.

If you are already prescribed anything by your doctor, no matter what it is for, I wouldn't suggest you start SJW without a doctor visit though. It may be an herb, but that doesn't mean it won't interact with other meds and you don't want to do anything dangerous, or cause what you're taking to become less effective.

For anyone reading this who might know, do you have any recommendations on a brand of SJW, or how to choose a brand? I do understand that it isn't regulated, and can vary greatly from one company to the next.

Last edited by Jarlie; 06-08-2010 at 06:29 PM.
Jarlie is offline   Reply With Quote