Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 12-26-2009, 02:20 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 198/202/155

Height: 5'2"

Default Anxiety and Weight Loss

Does anyone else here on the board ever find that their anxiety level can increase while dieting/limiting calories? I've had issues on and off over the years with Generlaized Anxiety Disorder and I found most recently while dieting my anxiety just shot way up. I went back on anti-depressant medicine to bring my mood back in control but feel afraid now to return to dieting because of the fear that my anxiety will again get bad. If anyone else has had similar issues of anxiety and weight loss I would like to hear what your experience has been.

From a purely biological standpoint it does seem to make sense that limiting calories could trigger some anxiety/depression because carbohydrates are used by the brain to produce serotonin - the same brain chemical anti-depressants aim to boost. But unfortuantely even when I take anti-depressants I don't automatically stop craving carbs. I tried talking about this occurance with my Dr. but he and his assistant were both encouraging their weight loss system which includes diet pills. I would prefer to lose weight without diet pills. I even would like to get off of anti-depressants permanently. I guess I just want to find more natural remedies to imrove my mood and lose weight.
junkatarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 02:25 PM   #2  
On a mission!

S/C/G: 333/310/260

Height: 5'9"

I also have extreme anxiety and as it has escalated, my weight has reached its peak.

My gut reaction is to be wary of diet pills of any kind while on medication for anxiety/depression etc. I'm curious what is in them and would question a doctor hawking his own wares for profit. Maybe I'm just suspicious though! It could be great! Please do tell more.
Passionista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 02:43 PM   #3  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

Could it be that before you were using food to ease your anxiety and now that you are dieting, you've lost that outlet?
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 04:16 PM   #4  

You don't have to quit eating carbs - simple carbs are wasted calories, but complex carbs are good for us. Perhaps it's your eating plan. My depression got worse with every pound I gained and has diminished with my loses. I do WW - nothing is off limits, but the quantity might be less.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:10 AM   #5  

Passionista - My gut reaction is to not want to take diet pills either while on anti-depressants. Hoenstly I wouldn't even want to take them if I wasn't on anti-depressants. I feel I just need to learn how to better manage my conditions (weight, anxiety) without pills. Sorry to hear you also have anxiety. Is there any treatment that has helped you?

CLCS - Yeah I do think I use food to manage emotion, definatly. I just wish I knew a better way though because I need to lose weight for other medical reasons.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:11 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 197/195/145

Height: 5'7"

I know it is dificcult to start (especially if depressed) but do you incorporate excersice into your weight loss goals? Even if not for weight loss, it should ease depression and anxiety.

I was reading something just the other day about our (human) missplaced emotions of aggression and anxiety because no longer are we hunting or in fear of our lives from predators, but now it's shifted to road rage by being cut off or tail-gated and worrying about deadlines for work/school.

I too, suffer from depression and am feeling anxiety right now. Perhaps you are anxious about the diet and worrying about the calories and it being successful and that has more to do with it than the actual foods being eaten.
Sarby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 11:23 AM   #7  
NEVER GIVE UP

S/C/G: 259.9/181.0/145.0

Height: 5'6"

I have agoraphobia (Anxiety disorder) Think I spelled that right ~Anyways....I have anxiety attacks daily all day long. I just walk instead of eat. Try that.. Just pace back and forth from room to room and drink lots of water cause that will feel ya up ~so u aint hungry........Anxiety sucks so I feel for ya...HANG IN THERE.
Lori259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 04:19 PM   #8  
Finding Myself

S/C/G: 260/260/130

Height: 5.5

I too,noticed my anxiety levels rising the last time I tried to lose weight. I did some research and found that not getting enough potassium can cause the same feelings that I get when I have a panic attack (shakiness, heart palpitations etc..). I realized that I wasn't eating enough potassium rich foods. When I did, the panicky feelings went away. Lack of magnesium can cause the same problem.
lilith38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:04 PM   #9  

I wasn't really watching my vitamin and mineral intake, which could possibly relate to my anxious feelings. It would be a good idea to take a multi-vitamin while dieting.