3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Depression and Weight Issues (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/depression-weight-issues-76/)
-   -   Feeling too good? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/depression-weight-issues/182698-feeling-too-good.html)

Hydra 09-26-2009 08:44 AM

Feeling too good?

I was recently put back on lithium and I am weaning off risperdal to combat or to keep my mania in check, I have bipolar type 1. I take 600mg of lithium twice a day. I also take 20mg of lexapro in the morning.

My concern is how great I feel. I know that sounds weird but for those of you that have experienced it, I am clearly hypomanic right now, I have several symptoms that started this week. I do have a call into my pdoc and I am sure she will call on Monday and I don't live alone so I am okay. I am just wondering if others have had this happen when starting to get in better shape. I am trying to figure out what triggered the high mood.....not enough lithium? or is it the increase in well being I feel with dropping over 20 pounds, eating so much healthier and the exercise?

SunnyP 09-26-2009 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hydra (Post 2943752)
I was recently put back on lithium and I am weaning off risperdal to combat or to keep my mania in check, I have bipolar type 1. I take 600mg of lithium twice a day. I also take 20mg of lexapro in the morning.

My concern is how great I feel. I know that sounds weird but for those of you that have experienced it, I am clearly hypomanic right now, I have several symptoms that started this week. I do have a call into my pdoc and I am sure she will call on Monday and I don't live alone so I am okay. I am just wondering if others have had this happen when starting to get in better shape. I am trying to figure out what triggered the high mood.....not enough lithium? or is it the increase in well being I feel with dropping over 20 pounds, eating so much healthier and the exercise?

I haven't read anything scientific to support this but in my experience I think carbs act as a sedative somewhat for someone with BP. Think about how much carbs you eat when "down". Think about how little you eat when up. I was thinking this same exact thing yesterday - can a diet trigger a hypomanic phase or does the phase come first and then the diet? Im not sure. But I definitely eat differently when down than up.

But I also know that regulating my sleep, eating and exercise does wonders for regulating mood especially warding off the downs.

Dr's keep recommending fish oil. I tried a lemon flavored one recently that is AWESOME.

Good luck with this, I know it's a challenge.

mom with issues 09-28-2009 08:35 AM

The reason you eat carbs when you are "down" is that they activate the seratonin in your brain, which makes you feel better, or so you think. Seratonin is usually not the answer for Bipolar. This is why they say that SSRI's often don't work on people with BP. They usually require mood stabilizers or meds that tend to work on dopamine and norepinephrine. Sorry, I say they and I mean we. I have never been formally diagnosed with BP, but my doc believes I fall into that spectrum. There are so many different kinds, it can be difficult to diagnose. That doesn't mean that diet and exercise aren't important, but for someone with BP, they arent' the total answer.
That said, hydra, I have been where your are many times. I have recently switched from Pristiq to Wellbutrin and my doc just added Neurontin to help. I also have Xanax to take as needed, but since the switch, I have not been taking as much as I used to. I just started the Neurontin and have slept better in the last 2 nights than I have in months. I know the feeling you have right now. I usually get this way when I change meds that work well. When I start something that isn't going to work, I know it in a few days because I get so angry and just plain ugly. But when I have changed to something that is going to work and I start to feel the improvement, I feel "too good". I get so happy that I feel better that I get too happy. I find that I will level out soon. I guess once I realize that the new med is going to work, I sort of return to "normal". Let us know what your doc says. I would also think that feeling better because of diet and exercise add to it. Best of luck!