Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Closed Thread

Old 07-07-2002, 10:50 PM   #1  

Unhappy feeling sad and lonely

I'm just really looking for a buddy. I've struggled with depression and my weight for several years, and now it seems to have all come together at once. I'm the largest ever, and cannot seem to get my butt off of the couch to do something about it. I am matron of honor in a Nov. wedding and don't want to be the token big girl in the wedding party. I truly believe that if I can loose some of this weight, I will feel better about myself. We moved last year to Chandler, AZ and I don't really know that many people and it is just too darned hot to do outside stuff. My husband's travel seems to make me munch all of the time, and I feel like I can never lose the weight, or the negative attitude. Any ideas on how to get off my tush and do something about my weight?
Old 07-08-2002, 01:57 PM   #2  

Denise:

You CAN do this!! I read your profile. Being a SAHM and a full-time student only proves my point: You can do what you set your mind to.

I understand doing things outdoors in the heat. Now that I'm 40-something, the heat of the summer in Michigan (in the 90's) has been nearly unbearable for me. Maybe you can find a gym close by or a YMCA/YWCA.

I don't know how old your kids are, but I met one of my very best friends at the school swim lessons over a summer. Our girls were the same age and our boys were the same age, so they could play together. We talked and decided to visit each other with the kids (to see how the kids played together and to see how the other Mom "mothered" visiting kids). When we were comfortable with each other, I'd watch her kids for a couple hours while she went to the store, then she'd watch mine another day.

Maybe you could meet someone at the college with the same interests, too.

Talk to your doctor about the depression. It could be that you aren't sleeping well, either. (Sleep deprivation has many of the same symptoms as depression.)

Start out by doing something small, like taking a short walk, then increase it gradually. Don't think about the lump sum of weight you need to lose. Think of it in small amounts. Concentrate on losing 5 or 10 pounds. After you have, then concentrate on another 5 or 10.

Do something to make you happy. You have many talents (something I have yet to find). Express yourself through those talents.

Do something for YOU today. Write on the calendar that, let's say, Wednesday you'll walk in the air conditioned mall for 20 minutes. Keep that date with yourself. Maybe you'll be more apt to do it, if you've scheduled time for it.

annie
Old 07-09-2002, 04:26 PM   #3  

Thank you annie for the words of encouragement and advice. I have taken them to heart and have scheduled time to actually do something about it. I really appreciate your kind words.
Old 07-10-2002, 01:03 PM   #4  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hi Denise,

Welcome !! Denise are you on any medications for your depression? and /or have you spoken to your doctor ? It took me 4 1/2 years of struggling before I mustered up enuf nerve to go see one. I was just recently put on Zoloft but that didn't go to well so my doctor just switched me to Welbutrin (only on it for 4 days so far). I understand how you feel, when your heavy it is very depressing, its so depressing that it makes you eat and eat...Your miserable cause you eat and you eat cause your miserable...vicious cycle. I know EXACTLY how you feel. This is the heaviest I've been in 15 years.

But stick with us and maybe we can all help each other.

Love, Leens
Old 07-10-2002, 03:27 PM   #5  

How are both of you today?

It is sunny but so much more mild here in Michigan. That in itself makes it easier on me and caring around this extra weight.

The only way today could be better is if I didn't have words with my 19 year old daughter last night. (Caught her in a lie. )

I truly hope that both of you find time for yourselves and value in your day. If you don't take care of you, who will? And the thought gets scarier the old I get. We really need to do this for ourselves.

I really believe this, even though I've had a procrastinator attitude lately. I, too, have a huge amount to lose and understand the depression/eating cycle.

Take care,

annie
Old 07-10-2002, 04:13 PM   #6  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hi Ladies, come hang out with us on the daily thread, we can get really silly there !!

Love, Leens
Closed Thread