Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 07-06-2009, 07:40 AM   #1  

Unhappy Working hard and STILL no results because of meds?!

Hey everyone..

I've been a lurker on 3FC for a long time, and I finally decided to come out and say hey! I also have a question for you guys...

I have major depression, bipolar II, and generalized anxiety. Currently I'm taking Lithium 600mg, Effexor 300mg, and Wellbutrin 150mg, along with Xanax as needed and Trazodone 100mg for sleep.

The thing is, I'm starting to feel ok again...except in one area. My weight. I'm at 300lbs right now, and 22 years old. I want to be healthy in mind and body. It's always been easy for me to lose weight, until I started this new cocktail of meds.

For the past 3 weeks Ive been eating healthy, walking/jogging a mile a day, doing Tae Bo every other day...and I finally had my weigh in this morning- I've lost TWO pounds in 3 weeks

Are these meds going to keep my weight loss this slow? I'm so angry and disappointed.
BellaRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:29 AM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hi Bella,

Hey !!! congratulations on feeling better, how awesome is that and the 2 lbs.. wtg. I'm so glad you decided to join 3FC's... its a great place for support.

Ok..well... what I would suggest is for one week, evaluate/count the calories you are eating, some times even healthy we could be eating to many. Make sure you get enuf water in...thats very important. Then at the end of the week, step back and take a look at what your calories count is per day and take it from there. This will allow you to make necessary adjustments if needed (increase or decrease). Do you know what a healthy calorie level you should be at?

I think its fantastic you are exercising (my weak spot), don't stop !!! it will pay off.

Welcome

Leenie
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:31 AM   #3  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Oh.. one more thing, please don't get disappointed and angry we'll figure this out.

Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 02:14 PM   #4  

Thank you so much for the warm welcome Leenie!!

I've been keeping a food diary and as I've gone over it I've been eating on average between 1400 and 1600 calories a day. Plus doing the exercise I talked about in my first post. It just makes me feel like giving up...I've been trying SO hard. *sigh*

I'm going to keep going, and keep eating healthy...hopefully the scale shows my hard work eventually.
BellaRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 02:45 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 162/155/115

Bella ~ I was diagnosed with all the same things. When I saw what you were talking I was like holy crap.. I've been on the same medications for 5 years. The only thing that changed is the dosage, I take Lamictal 400mg when is the top dosage. I also take trazadone to sleep when I need it. A few months ago the doctor prescribed me something else because I was extremely depressed. It made things worse. When I was on the lower dosage I lost weight like nothing. Since I have been on the higher dose my weight goes up and down. So it might be the meds.

Writing things down always helps and I try to exercise first thing in the morning and at night as well. I usually do a 4 mile walk each time. I thought I was walking 2 miles until last night when I drove it and was like omg. In the last week I've gained 10 pounds. I'm not happy about it but I don't want to give up.

Keep doing what you are doing. It is going to take longer than 3 weeks to start seeing signed. You also have to think with all the exercise you may start building muscle. So your scale won't move as fast. Its one day at a time.

Purefire

Last edited by Purefire; 07-06-2009 at 02:46 PM.
Purefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 08:52 PM   #6  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

Bella - Most of the meds only make you gain weight because of changes in appetite, so you shouldn't have much trouble. Wellbutrin is even know to help with weight loss. I know people who are on similar meds on WW and doing OK.

2lbs in 3 weeks isn't bad. It really depends on how much you need to lose. You say you're eating 1600 but if your don't have much to lose your BMR might be close to that... and if you add in in the exercise you'd need to burn an additional 500/day to lose 1lb and 1000/day for 2pounds. Losing more then 1 pound a week takes a whole lot of work unless you are significantly overweight. You say your at 300 so I assume you do want to lose quite a bit. Your BMR likely is higher then that, but everyone is different so maybe you want to get it tested?

It's possible the meds might effect the loss in minor ways, but if you are really concentrating on getting the proper deficit you should lose fairly normally.

Last edited by Idealmuse; 07-06-2009 at 08:53 PM.
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 11:18 AM   #7  

You have lost 2 pounds in 3 weeks and that is good. Don't expect pounds to just fall off every week. Losing slow gives you more time to get the lifestyle changes made so the weight loss is permanent.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:56 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 248.6/249/135

Height: 5'2"ish

Bella, first let me say congrats on feeling better. That alone is a HUGE step.

Secondly, talk to your doctor. My MH cocktail was similar to yours a few years back and I was having the same issues. I was feeling better but when I felt better I realize how much I weighed. I talked to my doctor about it during my check up and she worked with me to come up with a plan that worked with my body, energy levels, meds, etc. to help me lose the weight. I ended up losing close to 40 lbs in 5 months doing Weight Watchers points, leaning towards higher protein. Your needs might be different so talk to your doctor. That's why ya pay him.

Also, even when you're not on MH meds, most women don't lose more than a 2 lbs in a week. And if you do, you're more likely to put it back on. When you find a plan that works for you, stick to it and your meds. I'd hate for you to do what I did and stop everything all together and gain back all that you've lost. The weight and your peace.

GOOD LUCK!!!
Chrissy1175 is offline   Reply With Quote