Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 06-15-2009, 06:28 AM   #1  
I do this for ME

S/C/G: 235/222/150

Height: 5'8"

Default Weight and depression: Two worst enemies

I was so happy when I found this part of the forum. It's exactly what I need!
I have been been diagnosed officially with depression for just under a year, but between my doctor's and nurses and myself we all know that the depression has been going on for at the very least 6 years.

My depression ebbs and flows, it is always there, but sometimes it's worse than others. It's during these times that I like to use the term "crash". That's exactly how it feels to me, I can be alright and then all of a sudden I crash, and I mean crash hard. One of the things that can trigger a crash for me is my weight. All it takes is one long look in the mirror at myself, or not being able to find clothes to fit me at stores.

I know that once I lose all this weight and reach my overall goal that it will not be so bad. For one thing I'm sure everyone's doctor has told them about how exercise helps alleviate depression, so not only will I benefit that way from the exercise, but it will help me lose the weight. I feel as if my weight and depression have a correlation, when my weight is at it's highest, or I gain a few my depression rears it's ugly head, when I lose a few pounds I feel accomplished and file it under my pieces of joy. (Pieces of Joy: The phrase I use to define my philosophy. When you're depressed every little PoJ helps. Quite simply a PoJ is something that brings you joy or a good feeling, no matter how small or insignificant you think it may be. The way I see it, those who suffer from depression cherish every little piece of joy far more than the average person."

So I'm curious what everyone else thinks about how their weight correlates to their depression.
Remy Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 06:50 AM   #2  
Heather 2.0

S/C/G: 290/281/139

Anna

What plan are you following to lose weight? Yes, depression and weight are often linked, but life isn't suddenly 'magical' and problems solved when the weight is lost, sadly - that being said, it IS better. You've likely figured this out.

What meds are you on for depression, if any? What do you do when you feel yourself "crash"?

Post lots so we get to know you - and please join us in the monthly chat, we all hang there most of the time

Last edited by HeatherAngel; 06-15-2009 at 06:50 AM.
HeatherAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 02:35 AM   #3  
I do this for ME

S/C/G: 235/222/150

I use the Real Age website and it set up a meal plan for me and I also got a whole list of exercises from there which I can do at home without needing any equipment what so ever. Eventually I will probably buy some resistance bands and maybe one of the exercise balls, but right now I'm out of work because of my most recent break down and money is too tight for such frivolous things.

I am on Trazodone to help me sleep because lately I will stay awake until sunrise and then get perhaps an hour or two of sleep before I have to wake up for group therapy. I am also on fluoxetine which is the generic form of Prozac.

When I crash I pretty much spend the time crying to myself because of a great sadness and ache that fills me inside. I'm constantly plagued with suicidal thoughts and I have to fight my hardest not to regress to my past self mutilating behaviors.

Thanks so much for the welcome also, I would love to join the monthly chats and I hope to be very active in this forum!
Remy Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 02:34 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 200/200/150

Height: 5'6"

I find the my weight definitely effects my depression. Right now, at my highest, it's definitely making the depression worse.

I like your outlook on PoJ
mykb69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 01:00 AM   #5  

Sometimes my weight also effects my depression.
sindy9001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 12:18 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 232/tick/150

Remy - Welcome! You and I are two peas in a pod - height, weight, goals and all. I look forwards to hearing about your journey & sucess
marbear24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 11:22 PM   #7  
Curvatious!

S/C/G: 253/250/190

Height: 5'3''

I KNOW for a fact that my depression and anxiety is a main contributor to my weight. I am predisposed to be overweight because it runs in my family. I am convinced there is a part of genetics at play.
However my weight started to become an issue when I reached the age 10 or grade 5. My parents moved to Texas, I had to follow obviously. 5 months later my dad left my mom. 4 more months after that, I moved back up to ohio with my mom and sister. Since then, my weight spiraled upwards. I am now 19 years old and considered morbidly obese for my height. I am considering lap band surgery. My mom thinks this would help my depression to lose a significant amount of weight. I am already showing signs of tendonitis(shoulders as well as in one foot), having back and hip pains, as well as leg pains from standing a while at my job.

Depression has a big impact on my life. It's ups and downs, day in and day out. More often than not, I find myself feeling down, because of my weight. It restricts what I can do, even the simple things to make myself feel good or happy. Like going to the amusement park and riding roller coasters, which i love. or going shopping(in which i become extremely depressed about). So, I'm being treated for my depression and anxiety, and I know that in order to help those medicines work, I need to also exercise more and lose a considerable amount of weight.

Hopefully I can get the surgery, plus keep on exercising more to become healthy.
sarpinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 11:27 PM   #8  
Curvatious!

S/C/G: 253/250/190

Height: 5'3''

Remy, I find that doing something I love helps alleviate the stress of depression. Like reading, or cooking. I bake things and often give them to family members, maybe only treating myself to one. That way I don't restrict something good. Plus I like to read alot. And its just soothing. I've also been real into cleaning lately when I feel bored or depressed or the urge to eat. It's nice to clean everything top to bottom, it gets you focused on doing something, rather than what you want to eat when you don't need to.

Try yoga. You can watch videos on youtube and do it in your home on a bath towel, with another one rolled up for neck support if needed. Plus there are tons of websites catered to yoga for weight loss. It also helps to learn the breathing and meditation techniques to calm down. I've found that following the yoga form of breathing and relaxing my body one muscle group at a time helps me get to sleep faster, and feel less depressed. It's just a thought.

Thats what I do to help with stress and depression, even when I feel down. =]

Hope things go well!
sarpinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 02:20 PM   #9  
thininside

S/C/G: 200/185/150

Height: 5-8

Yes!! My depression definitely is related to the weight gain. It causes me to be sedentary, staying in one room most of the time. The only things that get me out are my dogs, doctor appointments, the grocery store, and going to see my aging parents. If you don't move around and exercise and eat because you are bored you gain weight.

By the way, if you can't work because of your illness, be sure to apply for social security disability. If you had LTD insurance with your last job, it should apply too. I'm rooting for you.
oogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 02:45 PM   #10  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy Anna View Post
For one thing I'm sure everyone's doctor has told them about how exercise helps alleviate depression, so not only will I benefit that way from the exercise, but it will help me lose the weight.
So I'm curious what everyone else thinks about how their weight correlates to their depression.
This has been VERY true for me. I am on Wellbutrin which takes the edge off and I'm convinced helps me with hunger slightly, but the Exercise is what really polishes it off and makes me feel "normal". Endorphines!

Plus once you start seeing results from the exercise you also start feeling better about yourself. Feeling strong fit and healthy certainly can't hurt!
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 03:49 PM   #11  

S/C/G: Upper 170s/*ticker*/130

Height: 5'5"

Weight is a big part of my depression... My parents put a lot of pressure to be beautiful and successful, so when I gained weight in 4th grade it was a huge issue. The funny thing is that I didn't realize I was overweight until they told me I was.

Unfortunately, their efforts did not help and I got to my heaviest in 8th grade (misery), and have gone up and down ever since, but never to the point where I felt thin.

I'm finally trying to lose the rest of the weight, since I find that I get very depressed when I am at my heaviest, and am really not a fun person to be around. Now I'm trying to not be overweight (because that's linked with depression), since I can't convince myself that there isn't anything wrong with being overweight.
kasmel is offline   Reply With Quote