Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 10-13-2009, 03:27 PM   #16  

Zoloft for me made me apathetic rather than happy, which is why I think I gained weight - because I didn't care either way. I stopped using the medication and did not immediately lose/gain weight so I attribute the gain to personal circumstances surrounding the medication. I also went off the drug very slowly, and didn't experience any side effects. But it was gradually over weeks of reducing the dose.
twinklebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 04:04 PM   #17  
I've only just begun! :)

S/C/G: 338/Ticker/180

Height: 5' 10"

I'm sure you're already under way with the Zoloft now, but I wanted to add that I found it great. It was the first a/d I took and it was such a change for me. I only changed when I found that the top dosage wasn't efficacious anymore (your body tends to adapt sometimes, as well as most GP's aren't aware of the best/optimal levels for antidepressants). I didn't notice any weight gain.

If Xanax isn't good for you, ask for Ativan - it's fabulous.

One word of warning - do NOT under any circumstances take Paxil. It's indicated for the treatment of depression AND anxiety, but it's second only to Heroin in how difficult it is to get off it. I literally had to go cold turkey and spent five days in bed, sweating and shaking. You get down to 10mg and the anxiety/panic attacks are out of control. I know people who literally can't quit. If your doc suggests that, run screaming!!
Havisham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:29 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 215/185/150

Height: 5'6"

Havisham,
While your warning about Paxil is not to be dismissed, I have been on both Paxil and Effexor (which is also supposed to be a nightmare to stop) at different times, of course. When I stopped each of them, I had no bad effects at all. I know that I am in the extreme minority, but it's true. So not everyone has the same symptoms and a med should not be ruled out because of how it has affected other people. I also know many people who have been helped tremedously by Paxil. I understand why you posted what you did, but people need to know that not everyone has these terrible side effects.
mom with issues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:34 PM   #19  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I gained about 60 pounds on Zoloft. It wasn't unexplained weight gain however. I suffered moderate post-partum after the birth of my first child. I almost didn't eat at all for several months. I felt better within a couple of weeks and was as if the clouds rolled back. I started eating and just continued! I also experienced some sexual side effects. It was difficult to climax. After a couple of months, it did subside. It was more important that I was feeling okay again!
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:49 PM   #20  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom with issues View Post
Havisham,
While your warning about Paxil is not to be dismissed, I have been on both Paxil and Effexor (which is also supposed to be a nightmare to stop) at different times, of course. When I stopped each of them, I had no bad effects at all. I know that I am in the extreme minority, but it's true. So not everyone has the same symptoms and a med should not be ruled out because of how it has affected other people. I also know many people who have been helped tremedously by Paxil. I understand why you posted what you did, but people need to know that not everyone has these terrible side effects.
HI, mom,
I apologise - I do realise that there are people who found relief with Paxil. However, in my experience (and I've been fighting this dragon for a loooong time and spoken to a lot of people) I've never personally met anyone who could get off it. I had a lot of success with it, but could never drop the dosage and I know sooo many people (personally) who've just stayed on it because they can't get past that 10mg.

Second to that are the high numbers of suicides linked to Paxil - especially in the UK (and largely in teens, but it bears mentioning). Coming off the product seems to cause higher levels of suicide.

I struggled coming off Effexor, also, but found that Paxil was like dying...I would hate to see anyone go through that if they could avoid it. That was all.

Didn't mean to offend.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:02 AM   #21  

Havisham,
You didn't offend me and your warnings are certainly well founded. I guess I always think about something I read a long time ago. People are more likely to tell about their experiences if the experiences are bad than if they are good. So I always feel somewhat obligated to let people know that I didn't have bad experiences and that they might not either. Both sides are valid opinions and need to be known.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:07 AM   #22  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

A very close friend of mine runs a website called Chaada. She had a horrible episode with samples of Zoloft given to her by her doctor after giving birth. She ended up suicidal, wanting to hurt her baby and finally was hospitalized. It is a free website. She is currently in law school because she has decided to lobby against it's widespread use. Needless to say, she doesn't advise it's use. Our local newstation (Large Metropolitan area) even did a feature on her a couple of years back. You could always check it out.

Last edited by Thighs Be Gone; 10-14-2009 at 09:08 AM.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:55 AM   #23  

Having tried almost every a/d out there over the last few years, I can categorically tell you that nothing works for everyone.

Prozac made me violently aggressive - like five days and I threw a chair across a room. But literally millions of people can't survive with it.

Effexor made me sick as a dog. Again, millions of people do fine on it.

As Mom and I have shown, Paxil is a godsend to some and a horror story to others.

Nothing will work for everyone, and every single person will experience things slightly differently. The key is to remember that and not beat yourself up if something that works great for someone else, just doesn't do it for you. Personally, it took me about 14 years to find a combo that works for me, with much trial and error.

It's not fun, but if this isn't your fit, you'll find it. Hang in there!!!
Old 10-14-2009, 04:55 PM   #24  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thighs Be Gone View Post
A very close friend of mine runs a website called Chaada. She had a horrible episode with samples of Zoloft given to her by her doctor after giving birth. She ended up suicidal, wanting to hurt her baby and finally was hospitalized. It is a free website. She is currently in law school because she has decided to lobby against it's widespread use. Needless to say, she doesn't advise it's use. Our local newstation (Large Metropolitan area) even did a feature on her a couple of years back. You could always check it out.
I don't really understand why anyone would get samples of Zoloft - it takes weeks for Zoloft to be in your system and show positive effects. The side effects are more prominent in the beginning, but I didn't feel the same way your friend did, that is terrible. However, that being said, it can really help some people. It did totally ruin my sex life though (as stated by a previous poster).
twinklebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 06:48 PM   #25  

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinklebug View Post
I don't really understand why anyone would get samples of Zoloft - it takes weeks for Zoloft to be in your system and show positive effects. The side effects are more prominent in the beginning, but I didn't feel the same way your friend did, that is terrible. However, that being said, it can really help some people. It did totally ruin my sex life though (as stated by a previous poster).
Yeah - like Depression doesn't totally kick your libido to start with, then almost all a/d's kick it while it's down.
The only one that's touted to have little to no sexual side effects is Wellbutrin - I'm on it, along with Celexa. As far as I'm concerned wellbutrin is a life saving drug....it literally turned my life around.

Hang in there, all.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:49 AM   #26  

Havisham is completely right. Nothing works for everyone. I have done a lot of reading and research and from what I understand, the med that works for you depends on what your brain needs. For example, I can't take SSRI's. They have the same effect on me that Prozac had on Havisham, angry, aggressive, etc. That can (but does not always) indicate illness in the bipolar spectrum rather that just depression. I have become convinced that this applies to me. I don't have the full blown manic episodes that some have, mine are milder, but they are there.
Like Havisham, it has taken me years(approx. 20) to find something that works. Wellbutrin is wonderful, but not quite enough for me. I started Lamictal about a week ago and we'll see how that goes. I have read both really good and really bad, but I have to focus on my own experience. I wish the best of luck to anyone who has to travel this road. It's not fun, but don't give up. You just have to find what's right for you

Last edited by mom with issues; 10-15-2009 at 08:50 AM.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:09 PM   #27  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

i took Zoloft years ago after a car accident to help me with chronic pain. I magically lost about 10 pounds over 3 months, had few urges to snack!.
Had a side effect for me of mild urinary retention, which was also nice since I was a bit incontinent. It made me a bit jumpy, so I had to take it in the morning, or I didn't sleep at night.
I weaned down and went off after about 4 months with no problems. When I started having depression problems a few years ago, I wanted it again.
Its a bit different now. Since I had surgery for my incontinence, the urinary retention makes me prone to bladder infections, so I have to be careful. It makes me sleepy, so I take it before bed. I was off for over six months recently, but started taking it again for insomnia of all things, it works better than anything else I have tried.
I haven't noticed effects on my weight either way.
Overall its been good for my depression and anxiety issues.
I tried switching to wellbutrin for a while but couldn't sleep.
I hope you find this medication useful, and keeping your doctor informed about your progress and issues with the med. best wishes to you
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 07:53 AM   #28  
I need more coffee.

S/C/G: 280/259/170

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphrodite View Post
Brain Zaps.
Effexor did that to me. They were the worst when I was tapering down to get off it. My doctor just looked at me like I was crazier than usual when I told him about it.
DixieAmazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:28 AM   #29  
Back on Track 2 Healthy

S/C/G: 270/254.4/Healthy

Height: 5 feet Tall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havisham View Post
Nothing will work for everyone, and every single person will experience things slightly differently. The key is to remember that and not beat yourself up if something that works great for someone else, just doesn't do it for you.
Sometimes I wonder if we don't develop symptoms after we read what could happen. Who knows?

Our bodies and environments are all so different. I take the b/c shot and it is suppose to make you gain weight (which is better than getting prego in my opinion) I take another drug for ADD which is suppose to make you not want to eat! Ha on that one! Most people lose weight with it...not the case for me.

I really try to pay attention to my body and what it is doing and saying and make sure I tell the doctor at my check-ups. Sometimes I even take notes to take with me so I make sure I tell her (cuz I forget )

Good luck on finding the right one for you. I think it is like a chemistry experiment.
cathydoe is offline   Reply With Quote