Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 11-20-2008, 01:49 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 268/258.4/140

Height: 5'6"

Default I hate..

I hate how I eat when I'm feeling bad. I hate how I take comfort in food when I'm depressed or even stressed. I hate how all I can think about is what I'm going to stuff my face with next.

I don't binge, I just eat foods that are pretty bad for me and I end up feeling disgusted with myself and even more depressed than before. I don't understand. Maybe I like feeling bad? That can't be it.

Food's one thing I haven't been able to get control of. And for a control freak like me, it's hard not to be hard on myself about it.

/vent

---------

iridescent crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 10:07 AM   #2  
Believe it, be it

S/C/G: 198/ticker/125

Height: 5'0"

First off, you need to stop letting food control you. It's not easy, but you CAN do it. If you have any "junk" food or unhealthy snacks in your house right now, get rid of them. If you don't have them there, you can't eat them. Stock your fridge and pantry with healthy snacks and foods so that if you feel the need to binge on something, it ends up being an apple or cheerios or something.
And no, it's not easy, not at first. Even later, while it will get easier, it will never be flat out easy to not be an emotional eater. Once you are that way, it's going to be something you have to deal with your whole life. I'm that way too, so I know. Good choices need to be made at the store so that when you wake up in the middle of the night say, that there isn't that rocky road ice cream in the freezer. And, if you need something sweet around, pick up some weight watchers ice cream snacks for example. They have ice cream bars and little ice cream cups that contain less than 200 calories each. This way, you can have a treat when you feel upset and not feel guilty later for it.

Best of luck, and remember, you can do it!
RangerChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 10:33 AM   #3  
Ashley

I do the same thing at times. I just stop before I grab the unhealthy snack and tell myself this will do nothing for me, so i put it back and grab something that is healthy for me that way I don't feel so bad.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:39 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 394/See Wt Tracker!/180

Height: 5"10

Heya ,

When I start to eat something that isn't "good" for me ...I stop and say to myself...this is part of why I feel bad to start with! then recognizing the junk food as the "enemy" I send it packing ... There is no room in this future of mine for failure!...

Hang tough you will make it!,
- Elliott
BldBlue1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 10:43 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I know its easier to say than do - but I really think you need to frame your choices in terms of choosing to do things you love instead of focusing on how you hate so many things about yourself.

For example, when you find yourself thinking how you hate how you take comfort in food, tell yourself, I love going for a walk (or calling a friend, or taking a bath, or whatever) when I need some comfort. Then try it, just once. Don't make a commitment to change forever, that will overwhelm you. Just treat it like an experiment. That makes it easier for me to try something I'm avoiding.

Just my thoughts. Ignore if I'm way off base.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 01:25 PM   #6  
Burning it away

Height: 5'2

The dieting mentality does exactly the oposite to what people want it to do, it causes us to behave in self destructive behaviours. You need to learn that food isnt 'bad' and that you CAN eat them and beating yourself up isnt healthy. Healthy mind will lead to healthy eating...it all comes from self love and acceptence. Thats very difficult I know, but thats how it is.
Spoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 05:22 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 146/146/128

I'm the same way. I totally get where you are coming from.
karenann33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 09:03 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerChic View Post
If you have any "junk" food or unhealthy snacks in your house right now, get rid of them. If you don't have them there, you can't eat them. Stock your fridge and pantry with healthy snacks and foods so that if you feel the need to binge on something, it ends up being an apple or cheerios or something.
This wasn't a problem when my mister and I had our apartment. We had mostly fruits and veggies, nothing very unhealthy. But at the moment our (mostly mine) living situation is kind of up in the air. I have been living in my parents' house for the past month. And in a few days I will be moving to his brother's place with him for a while. And then it's either back to ma & pa's, or to our own place in a new town. Everything's uncertain right now, which is adding to the stress. And I've tried to get my family to eat healthier and get rid of a few bad habits, but I haven't had any luck. I avoid it as much as I can, but usually end up smoking. I recently started being more active and plan on adding more to my workouts. I'm hoping the combination of that and my meds will keep me from trying to turn to food for comfort. (As long as I stick to it, it should.)

---------

Old 11-22-2008, 09:07 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoz View Post
Healthy mind will lead to healthy eating...it all comes from self love and acceptence. Thats very difficult I know, but thats how it is.

I try.
But I'm not there just yet.
I am working on it though.

---------
.p