Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 09-10-2008, 06:55 PM   #16  

I was on Wellbutrin for a short period of time, but suffered severe reactions from it. It felt like there was a tight rubberband around the back part of my tongue, and I got all these little welts on the inside of my mouth, my mouth tasted metallic, and I had a rash all over my body. It took a while for the symptoms to go away because it stays in the system for a while. I was terrified. I have never heard anyone else who's had a reaction like that, but just so you know. They said I might have been an allergic reaction to the coating.

Right now because of my OCD and depression I'm on 40 mg Prozac, 100 mg clomipramine, and 0.5 mg clonazepam.
Joslynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 06:35 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 185.0/185/140lbs

Height: 5;4

I"m on day three of my wellbutrin and so far so good. No reactions, yet. I have noticed that I'm not picking at food all day. The junk at work. Or maybe it's in my head, lol
Kelly46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 12:56 PM   #18  

I'm on Wellbutrin now & have been on Celexa in the past. I think Celexa worked the best for me out of anything I've tried. But, if I never had sex again for as long as I lived, I think I would have been ok with that. Hubby was not so much into that plan, so I had to quit Celexa. I've been on Wellbutrin for almost 2 years. Libido went way up. Hubby used to remind me to take my happy sex pills.

I used to take the twice a day pills. The only major side effect for me was not being able to sleep. But I figured out that there was no insomnia if I absolutely did not take the second pill after 2:30 in the afternoon. I'm on the XL once a day now & haven't had any problems.
amybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 12:14 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 248/240/167

Height: 5'6

I've been on Wellbutrin for over a year. Prior to that I was on the highest dose of Paxil. My mother died May before last and that really affected me. I was staying in bed and just sleeping. By August, I was having a very difficult time even making it to work.

My physician put me on Wellbutrin and I had to start tapering the Paxil. I had some withdrawal symptoms due to the Paxil, but they only lasted around a week. The Wellbutrin made me feel great. I no longer stayed in bed all day. Occasionally, I have some depression, but at least I am out of bed.
Also, it has given me more energy than I had before. My appetite went away for awhile and what is good about that is that I stopped gaining weight. Prior to the Wellbutrin, I gained 30 pounds after my mom's passing. That came off and I am at my present weight.

I do get very minor anxiety attacks, but these dissipate with deep breathing and a short walk.
aliciag57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 06:27 PM   #20  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

I asked my doctor if he could think of something else for me to try, instead of the Lexapro I had been on. My problems were that I still had vague suicidal thoughts, and had no ambition to do something about my shape.

He suggested Wellbutrin 150XL, once a day dosage. I felt a difference in a couple of weeks, and was finally able to really commit to exercise and eating well. I made the switch in late January/early February of this year; and by late July had lost many pounds and inches because
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:42 AM   #21  
I'm not nuts, I'm happy!

S/C/G: 241/220/160

Oh wow, an entire group of welbutrin users, I am in heaven. LOL

I got put on Welbutrin about 6 weeks ago, 100mg (sr) and I have lost 11 pounds, and I have been able to get out of bed in the mornings and actually move. Before I was awake until 5 am and sleeping until 10 am, and damn with two kids that just isn't right!

I have depression, but the overlying issue of borderline personality disorder and major stressors in my life atm.

I would reccomend Welbutrin to anyone. However, though I did not suffer any side effects, I am am pretty sure I have never suffered a side effect of any drug, so that sort od negates that issue.
Kati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 05:32 PM   #22  

S/C/G: I don't know my weight.

Height: 5'7"

Posted earlier:

"I had an appt with a new Doc today. She took me off the prozac,40 lbs weight gain, and on wellbutrin xr 150 twice a day. I haven't had it filled yet. No matter what if this med works and I can lose some weight I'll pay the cash for it. Anyone know how much it may cost me tomorrow? LOL.

Thanks
Kelly"

Kelly:

If you're paying out-of-pocket, ask for the "regular" Wellbutrin as opposed to the "XR". You will be able to get generic Wellbutrin which will bring down the cost tremendously.

Oftentimes, when a drug becomes available in generic form, the drug company will make an extended release form (XR, XL), which won't be available generically for several years.

While it is certainly more convenient to take one or two pills a day rather than three or four, if you must pay for your prescriptions in full, then you may want to consider the regular Wellbutrin (in generic form).

Peace,
Julia
JulesInMd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 10:37 PM   #23  
Party Starter.

S/C/G: 200/183/140

Height: 5'3"

I have been on Wellbutrin for about 10 months now I think? I started seeing a doc back in January because of significant behavior issues... they diagnosed me with Adult ADD. I was also on the brink of being homeless with my twins at that time, so I cried in the first visit and she gave me Wellbutrin lol. I've been taking both for quite a while... recently bumped both meds up slightly... but I have a lot of stress and heart ache going on again in my life now... so who knows. I haven't cried in forever, and over the past few days I have teared up real easy, cried on the cell phone in the grocery store today and currently can barely open my eyes because I cried so much tonight I have swollen eye lids lol. Bad. But that's not the norm since being on these meds.

I haven't seen weight loss from either med... but I have cut way back on my smoking. Thank you, Wellbutrin.
fromshantoslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 03:32 AM   #24  

S/C/G: 265/250/209

Height: 5'6"

Ive never been on wellbutrin, but am on edronax at the moment and am noticing its a lot harder to lose weight. Maybe wellbutrin would be worth a go!

And Im amazed at how expensive anti depressants are for people in some countries. Here I think full price is around $25 - $30. I pay a maximum of $5 for mine because Im on a health care card....
blazinhoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 08:42 AM   #25  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Default Cost of Wellbutrin

gosh, I had to pay for my Wellbutrin refill the other day, because there was a problem with Rite Aid's system taking my flex-spending card...it is $60.00 for me.
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 08:49 AM   #26  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

I was on Wellbutrin for years with absolutely no side effects. I gained weight, but in all honesty, I cannot attribute it to Wellbutrin. I ate a lot, and whenever I wanted (well that's why I slowly ballooned up to 208 lbs).
I recall that a 90 day supply of 100 mg (I was only on 100 mg once a day) was about $90 or $96 but I get it all paid for by insurance (through my work benefits) so all I paid was $2. I am in Canada, too.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 05:11 PM   #27  
Uggg... I goofed again.

S/C/G: 200/200/120

Height: 5'3"

I can't remember who asked about cost, but there's a website out there that helps with prescription costs in the US. You have to meet income guidelines, but otherwise its pretty sensible. Its www.needymeds.com. While the programs usually go directly through the manufacturer, this website just keeps a list of what all is available. There is a page for Wellbutrin.

Take care!
sassybiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 11:24 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 228/215/160

Height: 5 ft 5

like 2 years ago i was on Wellbutrin and it helped me lose 37 pounds. I was also on Effexor. I went off of both of them....trying to get pregnant........I tried a few months ago to go back on Wellbutrin with Celexa, but the Wellbutrin caused me irritability and anxiety, etc.....
Talk to your doctor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
campbellredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 01:32 AM   #29  

S/C/G: 292/235/155

Height: 5'8''

I was on 40mg Celexa for 2 years and gained 100 pounds. It turned me into a numb, carb-binging eating machine. I had a terrible reaction to it, but I also had a very terrible doctor who thought that as long as I didn't feel depressed, everything was fine. Not feeling anything at all wasn't a problem, apparently.

Three years ago though I switched doctors and was put on 200 mg of Wellbutrin instead, and it's fantastic. I have felt 100% normal since then. I still have a sex drive and I haven't had any depression symptoms and my eating returned to normal.

So, with the right psychiatrist and supervision, Wellbutrin can be great. But a good doc can help you find the right medication. I take a generic version of the 200 mg SR - and my insurance is good so I pay about $15 a month.
jenmonkey77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 02:35 PM   #30  
On my way!

S/C/G: 211/ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

I've been on Wellutrin for about 6 year or so. I had been taking 300mg a day. When things fell apart for me last year, my dr lowered it to 150 and added 200mg of Zoloft. The combination works pretty well for me. Occasionally I wonder if something else would work better but I don't want to deal with the "trying it out" period so for now I'm going to stick with this. I've also taken Effexor, I felt really good on it but my husband said it gae me a total personality change. Didn't do well on Paxil, it made me throw up. Cymbalta did nothing for me. I think that's all the ones I've tried. It is a huge struggle to figure out a med or meds combo that works for you and then when you addd in weight issues it just further complicates it. But I know I could not function without them so I have to figure out a way for us all to coexist in peace, if you will, LOL!
mytmom is offline   Reply With Quote