Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 07-24-2008, 09:57 AM   #1  
Mommy On A Mission

S/C/G: 180/172/130

Height: 5'2"

Default Am I going bonkers?

I've never really told anyone about this for the fear of being judged or called a bad mom but I feel like I won't be judged here. I really feel at times like I am absolutely nuts! I am mainly happy, very happy, but at times, it can happen any minute, I feel so upset or mad that I can't handle anything. I either get so mad I have to just be by myself a few minutes or I just bust into tears at random times over the simplest things. At first I thought it might be the baby blues but my youngest is nearly 2, isn't that a little late? Then I thought it might be my little monthly friend which I have every 3 weeks instead of 4, but its happening more and more here lately. I don't have any kind of insurance so going to the doctor is pretty far out of reach since we live on a very tight budget. I guess i just really need to know if there is a way to think differently or something over the counter I can take. I get really down on myself cause of my weight which I'm trying to change but I also get down on myself cause I think maybe I'm not such a good mommy, my kids r extremely happy kids and constantly tell me I'm the best mommy in the world which should make me happy but it sometimes just makes me wonder if I'm doing ok or if they need more attention?! I dunno, anyone else feel like this or can give me some advice?
Butterfly25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 10:06 AM   #2  
newby

S/C/G: 294/see ticker/190

Height: 6ft 0 inch

first off, having a bit of mood swings don't mean you are a bad mother!!! remember that whenever you have doubts.

as for having postpartum depression, i'm no expert here cos i dont have kids but i do think you can get up for a few YEARS after you give birth. especially if you had it and it wans't picked up by anyone.

as for ways to combat it, i suffer quite severe depression and find exercise generally does help if i can force myself to do it.
rwitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 10:09 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 129/see ticker/110

Height: 5'1"

Sorry to hear that. I've had similar mood swings, but since I got on birth control I haven't noticed any. And exercising reinforces feeling better about myself. Gotta love those endorphins.

Are you on birth control? Is there a planned parenthood that provides free care in your area? If your periods come every 3 weeks that may be a sign your hormones are out of whack. Whacky hormones cause mood swings. Just my guess. In the meantime... *HUGS*
Taurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 10:41 AM   #4  
Mommy On A Mission

No birth control needed, got my tubes tied after baby #3 and a scary birth. I'm not sure about the planned parent but I'll check into it, thanks, its nice to know I'm not the only 1 feeling like a nut case.As far as my periods goes I think its genetic, every female on my mom's side had frequent periods til they were having them continuously and eventually had full or at least partial hysterectomies. I really hope it doesn't come to that, my mom had hers at 26 (less than a month from my age now) and she has to take nerve meds, the doc said it was cause she was too young to have it done and it changed her hormones for the worse. Maybe with this new exercising plan and eating better I will feel better. Thanks again for the advice.

Last edited by Butterfly25; 07-24-2008 at 10:47 AM.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:15 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 226/209/125

Height: 5'2

It sounds like you might have some mild depression. i used to feel just like you described yourself. fortunately i was able to go to the doc and get a scrip for it. since you don't have that option now, try taking st. john's wort. it's supposed to help with mild depression. also along with exercise and good diet you need to make sure you are getting plenty of sleep. i know, easier said then done.
good luck, hope you feel better soon.
gahundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 04:41 PM   #6  
Mommy On A Mission

Yes sleep is alot easier said than done around here lol. I tend to get more depressed when I've been laying around or been on the computer for a while, so I am gonna try and get up a little more and maybe play with the kids or something so i don't sit around and get into my little depressed moods. I worked out for 45 minutes earlier and feel better than I did this morning, so its definitely helping when I'm active. Also where can I get the st. john's wort? I'd like to at least try it. Thanks for u're support, it helps just having other adults to talk to instead of kids all the time.