Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 05-01-2008, 01:13 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 342.4/288.4/160.33338

Height: 5'8

Question Can't tell if I'm relapsing or not

Up until about three years ago I was struggling with major depression and had been for years. At first i tried all kinds of meds and finally settled on effexor. It seemed to work pretty good and then about 3.5 years ago I suddenly got worse (really bad really quick). Well the first thing my doc did was increase the dose, when that didn't work it was increased again. Eventually, we went as high as possible and it was decided that I needed to come off the effexor and try something else. Well, I noticed that as I decreased the dose I started doing better. By the time I was completely off, I had no symptoms of depressions. My dr and I decided to put off starting a new med and take it day by day and see what happened. That was over 3 years ago, so I think I made the right decision not to pick up another drug.
But, I wonder about relapsing. Generally, I am not depressed, but when something bad happens I do get depressed. I know this is normal and it doesn't even last a full two weeks. If it did last that long I would go back to the dr. However, when lifes troubles do get me down I take it really hard. Harder than I should. And of course this is coupled with a fear that my depression is back to stay. I know that with my history I need to pay close attention and keep an eye out for symptoms, but I may be worrying too much.
I'm not sure what to do. When bad things come, I take them really hard but I do get back to normal within a few days. Do I need to see a dr about this? Or could it just be a residual effect of having depression? Better coping skills? Maybe its just who I am.
candogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 10:48 AM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hi

Yes, call your doctor, thats something only he/she can diagnose. Maybe all you need is a little counceling to help sort out your feelings.

I'm so happy you are doing well without the meds, thats truly awesome

and please keep us posted.

Leenie
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 08:25 PM   #3  
Amy

S/C/G: 328/see ticker/170

Height: 5' 8"

Also consider a therapist along with a psychiatrist. CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy) and DBT (Dialectal Behavioral Therapy) can help us cope more effectively and set better thinking patterns. There are lots of self-help books out there on these topics. CBT is more mainstream. DBT is like CBT but with more of a focus on mindfulness. I like DBT.

Try them with or without meds. Can't hurt.
Good luck.

Amy
oreokitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 09:54 PM   #4  
~Don't Postpone Joy~

S/C/G: 241.8/228/199.0

Quote:
DBT (Dialectal Behavioral Therapy)
OMG Oreo... someone finally knows about DBT... I've been 'practicing' DBT for years... BP2, ptsd etc.etc.. Most people have heard of CBT, but few fellow-patients have heard of DBT... I still have a hard time with it... but when it works, it works... It takes lots of practice for me
Sweetcaroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 03:14 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 225/207/140

Height: 5'5

I've had bouts on and off for about the past 10 years. I can have a few years where I'm fine and then it comes back. This last time I'd gone about 3 years without it but it's slowly been coming back the past couple years and it got really bad for me the past few months. I'm back on meds and in counseling though. A lot of people who have had depression in the past suffer relapses. My doctors have said it's something I might deal with the rest of my life.
ohmanda is offline   Reply With Quote