Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 04-17-2009, 03:22 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

Lol! That is the one positive thing about the upswing of bipolar. You do get a lot of things on your checklist accomplished (if your thoughts aren't flying too fast for you to keep up, that is)!
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 06:20 AM   #32  
On my way...

Height: 5,4 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengrass View Post
Has anyone had any trouble taking antidepressants? I used to take them all the time till recently. If I try to take them now I can't sleep and they just really mess me up. I'm bipolar II and right now I'm taking Neurontin and just started klonopin today for my anxiety because I can't tolerate antidepressants all of a sudden.
Saw that post a little late, sorry!

I had major trouble with ADs of all sorts. I took a few "older ones" and Cymbalta (a SSNRI). I started to fall into a bad mixed state, very agitated with constant suicide thoughts, couldnīt sleep, had terrible nightmares....

I took Neurontin as well, to help with my trigeminal neuralgia (donīt know how to spell that in english) because I havenīt been diagnosed with Bipolar then. Unfortunately I didnīt really stabilize me, even on the highest possible dosage. And it didnīt helped with the pain. But I felt better than I did whilst taking ADs and had very little side effects.
Kate109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 06:23 AM   #33  
On my way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacqui_D View Post
Lol! That is the one positive thing about the upswing of bipolar. You do get a lot of things on your checklist accomplished (if your thoughts aren't flying too fast for you to keep up, that is)!
Actually I donīt even know I am going to be hypomanic or on the edge of a mixed phase because there are a lot of "dark thougts" as well. I really should keep a mood chart....I am not very good at realizing the first warning signs of mood episodes...
Old 05-04-2009, 11:30 PM   #34  
Cheesecake? Yes plz!

S/C/G: 155/149.8/135

Height: 5'7"

Bumping the old thread, sorry everyone. Through some difficult circumstances, I was diagnosed a few years ago... tried Topamax, and my ex-husband didn't think it worked, but I thought it did. I stopped, and shortly after we divorced, I started again, also again thinking that it helped. Started dating again, and my boyfriend didn't think that being on anything helped. I'm not sure if I should try something else... I've been off for several months, but I feel as though I need to be back on something -- anyone know if there is addictive properties with Topamax? I'd be willing to try something else, but sometimes I wonder if I need a anti-depressent as well as something to control my outbursts. I'm also going to admit that I hate talking to my doctor about it... I also get chronic migraines, which where decreased while taking Topamax.

Any suggestions? I probably just need to talk to my doctor about it again, but I'm just nervous about it, and I don't know why.
LuckyJules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 02:39 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 223/ticker/155

Height: 5' 4"

Yep, add my name to the list. In case nobody has noticed my mood swings yet.

I suffered through depression from early childhood on into my 20's. Very few, if any, manic phases presented themselves so I was not diagnosed as Bipolar until I was 24. I've always had terribly low self-esteem, even when I was athletic. Now that I'm obese, the feelings have worsened. It isn't, of course, that it happened overnight, it is just that up until recently I apparently chose to NOT see it. How you don't see almost 100 extra pounds is beyond my comprehension.

My PCP approved my termination of medication about two years ago and I've done fairly well without them. I kept a journal for five years and it really opened a door to non-medicated treatment. I logged events, conversations, feelings, changes in behavior, eating habits and pretty much everything else. Within those pages, triggers became quite obvious, as did remedies that seemed to lessen or even eliminate my symptoms.

I don't get manic much at all anymore, maybe a few times a year at most. Depression still gets to me but putting on my shoes, grabbing my iPod and walking the nearby track has worked wonders.

Every day is another step towards good mental and physical health.
NicoleDiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:47 AM   #36  
Shannon

S/C/G: 157/139/110

Height: 5'7''

Bi Polar chick here!

They have me on lamictal and it doesn't seem to make me gain anything.
But my drug coctail is
Mirtazapine (remeron)
Lamotragine (lamictal)
And Zoloft

the only problem medication is the remeron. It's like having the munchies everyday.

Dfhdf
I was diagnosed a year ago, and we are still tweaking medications.
:/
Shannonfantastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 02:35 PM   #37  

S/C/G: 271/268.4/180

Height: 5'3"

I was diagnosed Bipolar I in 2004. I've been on prozac, lamictal, depakote (put over 50lbs on me), topamax, cymbalta, abilify, and ritalin, in different combinations. Right now, I'm on zoloft only, as I'm breastfeeding. I'm actually doing better on just the zoloft than I did on the other medication combinations, but part of that is probably because I've quit all of my other destructive habits (smoking, drinking, etc.).
scarlett7308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 02:58 PM   #38  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyJules View Post
Bumping the old thread, sorry everyone. Through some difficult circumstances, I was diagnosed a few years ago... tried Topamax, and my ex-husband didn't think it worked, but I thought it did. I stopped, and shortly after we divorced, I started again, also again thinking that it helped. Started dating again, and my boyfriend didn't think that being on anything helped. I'm not sure if I should try something else... I've been off for several months, but I feel as though I need to be back on something -- anyone know if there is addictive properties with Topamax? I'd be willing to try something else, but sometimes I wonder if I need a anti-depressent as well as something to control my outbursts. I'm also going to admit that I hate talking to my doctor about it... I also get chronic migraines, which where decreased while taking Topamax.

Any suggestions? I probably just need to talk to my doctor about it again, but I'm just nervous about it, and I don't know why.
Jules, don't be sorry about bumping this thread. I think it is the only bipolar thread, so that was a good idea! You definitely need to talk to your doctor. You have nothing to be anxious about. He/she is there to help you. He/she will listen to what you have to say and will try to do what's best so that you can function well. Plus, you can ask about any addictive properties to your meds. As for your ex-husband and boyfriend giving opinions on your meds, maybe they just expected it to do even more. Sometimes the meds work just well enough to take the edge off, and that's something! That can slow down impulses! That's probably why you felt it was working, and if I were you, I would not discount my feelings about it. Those guys are not living in your body. You are. You know what you feel. People who are bipolar or depressed often having trouble making decisions for themselves, so be aware of that. You may be taking the wrong advice from your men (as well-intentioned as the guys may be)! Your doctor has the right advice, so talk to your doctor! Good luck!

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 05-16-2009 at 02:59 PM.
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 12:48 AM   #39  

S/C/G: 193/169/145

Height: 5'6"

Default Bipolar too

I'm on Lithium, Lamictol (sp?) and a little Seroquel. I lost maybe 15 lbs summer 2007 when I was manic (triggered by Celexa for misdiagnosed depression). I was taken off Celexa and put on a high dose of Seroquel. Didn't do much except knock me out. When I crashed a few months later Dr. added Lamictal. Finally at the hospital a different Dr. added Lithium. I gained back the 15 lbs, plus another 20+, I think from my sluggish state of mind/body and constant hunger from Seroquel.

Someone here said keeping some structure to your day helps. It does. Have you heard about the "10 minute rule"? Basically if you make yourself do something, keeping in mind to just try it for 10 min., that you'll prob. end up doing it longer. I used it a lot to get out and go for a walk, which made me feel better. I didn't lose weight then, it's taken me a year to level out. Once I felt "normal" again I was able to focus on getting in shape physically too.

I hope to see you around in this forum again. I just discovered it myself.
kellygram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 10:29 AM   #40  
Turtle wanna be

S/C/G: 302/240/170

Height: 5.4"

Lightbulb me three

wow glad to find you guys,
thought I was the only one.
I agree with Jacqui_D hubby/boyfriend can play a big part in communicating symptoms to the dr. he knows and sees things you can't. My hubby is experianced we been playing this BP thing over 15 years. I am a season cycler and so is our 19 year old son. My hubby can notice patterns like I start sleeping way more, I avoid friends, skip taking showers, withdraw, hate work and sometimes don't go (mind you I only work 3.5 hours a day for 180 days)(yes I work for a school) I have been hospilitized twice (wich is kinda of a hard thing to do when on an HMO) But with all the med combinations out there the dr are just throwing a dart at a dart board to see waht will help. It can take a while to get it right(if right exists) I was on Depkote like forever I was afraid of the lithium stigma I thought if you told anyone you were on lithium they would "know" But know that I've been on it 300mg (2 at bed time 1 in am) I have ben way more level with help of other stuff like welbutrine, xanax, atavan, ambian and mind you that's just what I am on at the moment. seems like we are always tweeking and fine tuning here and there.
so stick to it get support read books and pick someone you can tell everything to.

Now hurry up and write me back
I am dieing to hear from you
msmeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 12:22 PM   #41  
On my way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyJules View Post
Hi!

I actually never tried Topamax- just heard that some Docs like to prescribe it because they say that you donīt gain weight while taking it.

I tried a few Antidepressants and they ALL made my switch to mania very fast (actually that lead to a diagnose- after 15 years of mood swings).

I am now on Lamotrigen (guess thatīs the name in the US as well). It should help against the "lows". Not sure about it yet, but I am still on a "lower" dose (I take 200mg daily, it is suppose to work between 200mg and 400mg). It took forever to go to that dosage- 25mg per week.

But it doesnīt help with hypomania/ mania. Thatīs why I decided (with my Doc) that I try Lithium. I guess Iīll start after my next app in two weeks....I am kinda scared (silly somehow), but I really want to take it because it is said to reduce suicidal thoughts and behaviour.

I am not an expert but if you feel that the meds work for you, I actually would say that you are the best person to judge....

About the migraene headache:
I started Lamotrigen because I suffer from trigeminal neuralgia (facial neuralgic pain). I started before I got my bipolar diagnose. Anyway, it helped really good against my pain.

There seems to me there is a connection between meds that help with pain and mood stabilizer. I tried Tegretol (spelling?), Dekapote and Gabapentin for pain relief (before my diagnose). The all help with chronic pain and as mood stabilizers (unfortunately not for me). So Topamax could help with it as well.

Ah, well, hope something from my blabla did make sense for you...

Last edited by Kate109; 05-17-2009 at 12:23 PM.
Old 05-17-2009, 12:24 PM   #42  
On my way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellygram View Post
I
Someone here said keeping some structure to your day helps. It does. Have you heard about the "10 minute rule"? Basically if you make yourself do something, keeping in mind to just try it for 10 min., that you'll prob. end up doing it longer. I used it a lot to get out and go for a walk, which made me feel better. I didn't lose weight then, it's taken me a year to level out. Once I felt "normal" again I was able to focus on getting in shape physically too.
Thanks for writing that! That is quite encouring for me to read!
Old 05-17-2009, 01:17 PM   #43  
Turtle wanna be

S/C/G: 302/240/170

Height: 5.4"

Talking control my outbursts

FOR controling my outbursts I took respiradol(sp) it worked very very well.
My son was taking it also different dosage as it was very for a young teen to controll outbursts but his peditrision swiched him to Abilify years ago, now you even see comercials for it on TV.
His dr said risperdol caused weight gain. But I am here to tell you I miss it, it worked very well for me.
msmeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 05:54 PM   #44  
katiejames

S/C/G: 265/186/165

Height: 5'6

i have been diagnosed bipolar for more than 10years ( i feel like a seasoned pro) i have been on many different meds but for me i found that xanax and limictol was the best combo. i also took lexapro. those 3 together really did help me. but please be careful. limictol is a mood stabilizer....xanax for anxiety...and lexapro for depression. these 3 are VERY addictive. i also was on trazadone for sleep. also very addictive. ok so now back to the beware part...any kind of drugs that affects your hormones..i.e. birth control especially the depo shot is NOT ok for someone with bipolar to be on. as a matter of fact very few birth controls work with someone who has bipolar. if you are feeling groggy your doc can order the seroquil or adderoll to help you wake up but again..because this affects moods it is addictive and is very easy to abuse and is dangerous in those who have bipolar disorder ( type one or two) do some research. different meds reach different nuerotransmitters in our brains that will help keep the disorder under control..if you take the wrong meds it wil be working with the WRONG neurotransmitter. sorry for the medical babble but i have also studied this topic for many years and i keep up on what can help.
katiejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 10:27 PM   #45  

S/C/G: 202/200/105

Height: 5'2"

Default New To This Support Group

Hi,

I just signed up to 3FCD and am so happy to find some bipolar support. Yes, the meds really do make you gain weight! I have to have faith that I can do this anyway.
drkelly is offline   Reply With Quote