Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 04-01-2008, 11:35 PM   #1  
~Don't Postpone Joy~

S/C/G: 241.8/228/199.0

Default I can't stand it.. I'm quickly going down hill

All the excitement I had for getting healthy and losing weight has been zapped after 2 weeks. I had a pretty good day but within 2 minutes of being her tonight; I deleted all of my tickers, quotes and challenges from my signature, then deleted my blog... Right now, Im MAKING myself sit here and read more.... I want that 'psyched' feeling back... where did it go ? I'm 'clinically' prone to mood swings (bipolar) on several meds, perhaps I was hypomanic the last 2 weeks, now crashing.. ? this is riduculous... the thing is, I haven't binged, or 'gone off program' to trigger this... oh well...
Sweetcaroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 11:55 PM   #2  

Height: 5' 5"

Maybe it was a good idea to delete everything, Caroline. Do you think maybe you were building it up too much for yourself and it became too much to handle? I do that all the time with things like housework and organization. I make big plans and purchases for shelves and supplies. Then when I slip up even the tiniest bit, I give up completely. And usually I realize it was just too hard to expect to change my life so drastically so quickly.

Did you gain some weight back? Or did you just lost momentum? Keep posting so the chickadees here can help!

I learned about hypomania recently. Maybe the weight loss thing is a realistic goal but you just need to figure out a reasonable plan.

Any more details about why it may have happened tonight?
jerzygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 03:42 PM   #3  
CURVY VIXEN

S/C/G: 205/194/128

Height: 5'2''

It is ok to start over.
I think taking a mental health day, meditation and writing all of your goals down to restart is great. Nothing in life is carved in stone as you know and losing weight has it's roller coaster of its own.
Start a new, write your goals and don't put to much pressure on yourself, be realistic
montana~
purplepansy912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 03:51 PM   #4  
Made of Starstuff

I think this is a normal feeling for anyone going through weight loss. We're all "Here I Go!" in the beginning, but as some time passes, it becomes harder, the "Yeah Yeah Yeah" feeling isn't there, and we get down on ourselves because of it. That's counter productive.

We simply cannot control how we feel. (How we act, yes, how we feel... not so much.) And since being psyched and feeling motivated are feelings we can't beat ourselves up about not feeling that way anymore than we can beat ourselves up for not feeling angry.

I believe you're moving past the "Honeymoon" stage, and into the next one. "The thrill is gone!" Commitment. Nothing wrong with starting over a little bit. It's time to decide that this is for the long haul. There may be times when we still get all gung-ho about weight loss, but mostly... daily... it's become a routine and simply something I continue to do, because I know where it's going to lead me eventually. I refuse to turn around even if the excited feeling is gone, because I know where turning around would lead me.

You can continue. You can do this!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 12:02 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 235/228/199

Height: 5'3

I couldn't possibly say it better than Faerie. The triumphs will continue to hit you - when you hit 10 lbs, or exercise over your goal, or whatever - but if you want to really lose weight and keep it off, you have to string though triumphs together with the everyday slogging.

It's possible that hypomania caused your excitement, but that doesn't mean that it was a bad thing to be excited, or that you should feel awful now that you aren't. It's just another one of those things we have to deal with on a day-to-day basis.

Don't give up! We're here for you and we know you can do this, because we have!
emmyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 08:58 PM   #6  
~Don't Postpone Joy~

Thank you so much everyone... I'm doing much better, and have a more positive outlook. The best thing is I didn't throw in the towel... I have to be happy with my self for that...
Old 04-04-2008, 09:06 PM   #7  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetcaroline View Post
The best thing is I didn't throw in the towel... I have to be happy with my self for that...
Yay!! Yes, that's alot to be happy about
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 10:35 AM   #8  
Amy

S/C/G: 328/see ticker/170

Height: 5' 8"

Hi,
I totally identify with you. Also bipolar on an assortment of meds. My moods tend to stay on the depression side nowadays.

There was a suggestion in one of my bipolar books, Take Charge of Your Bipolar, about a sugar free, refined flour free diet to help moods stay level. Coincidentally it works with weight loss. I know I may be repeating myself on different threads, but this has worked well for me.

Also here a a link to a journal article talking about reclassifying sugar as a drug:
http://www.lurj.org/article.php/vol1n1/sugar.xml

Keep it up.
Amy
oreokitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 08:29 PM   #9  
~Don't Postpone Joy~

Thank you Amy... wow, that article certainly gives me a different outlook on BP2... I really don't think of 'food' contributing to my symptoms... well, other than the obvious caffiene etc. I keep trying to read 'An Unquiet Mind'... its on my coffee table, has been for a very long time... Encompasses the entire disorder, could be why I'm not picking it up... too much to take in at once... I think I'm going to focus on the food aspect of it........... thank you all...........
Old 04-07-2008, 11:26 AM   #10  

I'm glad you're feeling a little better now. Hang in there. Don't give up. We're here for you and we all want you to succeed!
Old 04-07-2008, 11:33 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by oreokitty View Post
Hi,
Also here a a link to a journal article talking about reclassifying sugar as a drug:
http://www.lurj.org/article.php/vol1n1/sugar.xml
Whoa. That article is scary, and it makes SO MUCH SENSE. I'm a chemistry teacher and I majored in biology in college, and all the science in that seems solid. Yikes.