Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 03:35 PM   #46  
Just keep moving ...

S/C/G: 241/238/140

Height: Just short enough (aka 5'4")

Hi ladies!

Well, another day another airport!

This morning turned out to be amazingly therapeutic. I was cleaning the house for the housesitter, and a whole bunch of crud just started boiling up inside me. I guess that's part of my recovery, but wow! My counselor has been doing therapy with me for people who survive traumatic experiences. At first I wasn't willing to accept that what I've gone through constituted trauma, but she convinced me. Anyway, I ended up verbalizing some stuff that I hadn't dealt with yet this am, and when I was done I was shaking, and crying and then laughing. Wierd. Any of you had an experience like that?

I'm really glad I got it off my chest before my trip - I don't want to drag this stuff with me to a new place.

I am so excited to see the school!
Old 04-06-2008, 01:07 AM   #47  

Height: 5' 5"

I have been realizing lately a small roadblock to wanting to lose weight for me.

I am afraid of getting a lot of attention if I lose weight. Comments from people about how good I look, how did I do it, etc.

The last time I lost a lot of weight I got so much attention for it. Then I gained it back and I think it made me feel worse remembering how proud people were of me.

I am afraid of the weight loss attention again.

It worries me for a number of reasons: 1. Looking back on these heavy days and thinking people were disappointed in me. 2. Fear of gaining the weight again and being a further disappointment.

Does anyone have the same feelings?

And do you have any suggestions for helping me get to a point where I care less what others think?

Thanks
Old 04-06-2008, 01:14 AM   #48  

Also I wrote a long post last night after a devastating conversation with my dad but I can't find it...so I must have forgotten to click "post".

Anyway, in short summary, I told him about conversations I'd had with my mom and brother where they communicated that my looks (weight) prevents me from being a desirable dating candidate.

I always thought my dad would think it was ridiculous, see more that the dating thing has to do with my confidence.

Instead he said my brother was right and I need to lose weight to increase my chances of going on dates which, by pure odds, will increase my chances of finding a husband.

AHHHHHHH.

I just can't take it. I have no support from my family to help me feel secure in my body. I can't figure out how to own myself. I need to lose weight for my health. Plain and simple. Sure, I want confidence in dating. But therapy will be the biggest help in that place.

Here is the big question that gets me:

What if I never lose the weight?

Will that mean I will never be desirable? And then what of my cousins who weigh 100 pounds more than me? Or what of the millions of women who are in happy relationships despite their weight?

Any advice, gals?
Old 04-06-2008, 01:16 AM   #49  

Sorry for the two big posts...clearly I have a lot tangling up my head tonight.
Old 04-06-2008, 02:20 AM   #50  
Just keep moving ...

S/C/G: 241/238/140

Height: Just short enough (aka 5'4")

Jerzy - a special for you. I am so sorry that your fam can't support you and help you see that you are not a number on a scale. You are a beautiful and unique person who deserves to be appreciated and loved, whether you are 100 or 400 #. Odds are that disapointments in life have made them cynical.

I wish I could give you advice on how to find love and true connection with a mate. Sadly, I think you and I are in the same boat there. I guess all I know to be true is that until you can love yourself, you will never believe that anyone else can love you, and will never achieve a true relationship. I think that you are right there about counseling being of help.

take care, sweetie!

Last edited by Amarie2pt0; 04-07-2008 at 03:54 AM.
Old 04-06-2008, 03:25 AM   #51  
I was born this way hey!

S/C/G: Not telling/Shh/150

Height: 5'3

Jerzy, I agree with Amarie. Its very unfair that your family can't support you. You are so much more than your weight, and if they cant see that, then its their own fault.

As for dating..well, I hope you can find someone who can see that you're beautiful inside & out. Tell yourself that too. BELIEVE in YOU!!

For you:

Last edited by Shopaholic1204; 04-06-2008 at 03:28 AM.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:27 AM   #52  
Heather 2.0

S/C/G: 290/281/139

Height: 5'8"

Hi gals - just saying hello. I have finally got myself one of them there job thingies and start tomorrow - I think it will be really, really good for me

Will be in touch.

Heather
Old 04-07-2008, 12:16 AM   #53  
Starting Again

S/C/G: 202/163/120

Height: 5'1"

Heather: I'm jealous. How long have I been looking now? I think it will be great for you! Getting out of the house is always good and making your own $$ is very liberating. Let us know how it goes.

Amarie: Sounds like a very theraputic experience you had. "Laughter through tears is my favorite emotion" (Dolly Parten in "Steel Magnolia's"). Unfortunately the only time I can remember that happening to me was during that movie. Good luck on that changing the world for the better goal. I think you will have a hand in it.

Jerzy: I've sooo been there on the family thing. When I visited my mom last month I even went off plan and just ate what she did so the 'diet' subject wouldn't come up AGAIN. Didn't work though. By the end of the week she was being subtle by saying how she needed to start cutting back after our visit. (In other words: YOU need to cut back after our visit!) She weighs 105 lbs. I wish I had some fabulous words of wisdom for you. For myself, I just had to accept that they think if I'm overweight that I'll never get as far in life as I would if I were thin. They will also never help me to feel secure about my body b/c they can't accept me at this weight. Unfortunately those feelings of acceptance have to come from you and you may just have to avoid the subject of body image with family unless you just want to feel bad. You now know their true feelings so all you can do is let it go and prove them wrong. There are thousands of happy and fulfilled people who need to lose weight. Only you know within yourself if you can be one of them.
About the fear of weight loss thing, I totally get it. I lost down to goal once and everyone watched as I put it all back on and more. It makes me cringe to think about. Now like you, I'm worried about my health too. I think that's why I lose some, then sabatoge myself over and over. It's a constant battle.

This is getting too long... everybody else.

Last edited by hope4me; 04-07-2008 at 12:18 AM.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:14 AM   #54  

S/C/G: 235/228/199

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerzygal View Post
It worries me for a number of reasons: 1. Looking back on these heavy days and thinking people were disappointed in me.
I know - this sucks. I know that my family members are disappointed in me for being heavy, and I get their approval by losing weight. I think in general, though, people have more positive reasons for commenting on your weight loss.

1. People want to help! If you are trying to lose weight, having people say you're doing well is probably their way of encouraging you, of saying, "Look at you! You're succeeding in your goal!" I would say it's a lot like being congratulated on doing a good job at work, or getting a good grade in a hard class that's important to you. They don't mean that they were disappointed in you before, just that they're proud of you now.

2. A lot of people wish they had the self control to do what you're doing! Think of the goal threads we have here at 3FC where people post their triumphs and their photos. Those threads fill up with congratulations from those of us who are inspired by their progress. I don't congratulate people in those threads because I think they're somehow "better" now than they were before. I congratulate them because they've achieved something huge, and I'm trying to do the same, so I really am inspired by their progress. And it feels good to know you've inspired someone, right?

Quote:
2. Fear of gaining the weight again and being a further disappointment.
Oh gosh, I've been here, too. The last time I managed to lose weight was my freshman year of college, when I wanted to lose the freshman 15 instead of gaining it. And I succeeded. My parents were so proud of me. All my high school friends kept saying how great I looked. It felt wonderful. And now I'm 50 pounds heavier than I was then. I'm afraid to face those same high school friends who thought I looked so great. My grandmother told me she expected I would never look as good as I looked then. And of course, my grandmother added that I'd never find a man (I did, by the way).

I don't know how to explain this one, or what to say to make you feel better, except that I understand. We've all been there. We'd all like to be losing weight just for ourselves, to be healthier, a smaller size, fitter, less risk of disease, yada yada yada. Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt. But deep down I think we all care what people think of us, and we're all terrified of being the "fat chick." I know that's true of me. And I'm terrified of the look on my parents' faces if I don't manage to reach my goal, or if I gain all the weight back.

That's why I have every intention of keeping the weight off and changing my whole life. And I'll be perfectly honest with you - I'm trying to use my desire for approval as a motivating force for good in my life. It's probably not a particularly healthy motivation, but the fact is I want my mom and grandmother to think that I'm beautiful. I want to be the one in my family who managed to lose weight and keep it off. And I really, really want it! So maybe that desire can help me achieve the goals that I already have for myself. Maybe. And maybe it will end up sabotaging me, but for now, I'm just trying to get the weight off and not worry about my motivations to do so.

EDIT: I'm posting this same thing in the new chat thread, to jumpstart the discussion and start the week on a positive note!

Last edited by emmyroo; 04-07-2008 at 11:15 AM.
Old 04-07-2008, 02:09 PM   #55  
I was born this way hey!

S/C/G: Not telling/Shh/150

wheres the new chat thread? i couldnt find it..
Old 04-07-2008, 02:19 PM   #56  

It says March 7-13!
Old 04-07-2008, 03:26 PM   #57  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

I'll lock this thread and change the title of the weekly for you LOL

Closed Thread