Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 10-24-2007, 10:43 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 220/194/150

Height: 5'7

Default Therapist question

Hello,

Because I tend to ramble,I will get to the point. I have bipolar 2, my new doctor wants me to go talk to a counselor/therapist for talk therapy in addition to my medication. He's hte first dr. to suggest a treatment beyond medicine. Does anyone else have an opinion on talk therapy?

Thanks
Optical Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 10:50 PM   #2  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

Optical
It is great. I couldn't take the meds, really messed with my tummy. BUT going every week to talk to someone, rant what ever you want to call it really helped. They let me get things off my chest, they helped me see I am worth more than I was getting out of life. I didn't need to let me treat people how they were treating me and that only I could change my life. I did and have been happier these last 9 years than I was my whole life before.
Shy Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 11:07 PM   #3  

Height: 5'4"

I do both - meds and therapy. I'm up and down - really down right now - but overall I think you have a better chance of success with both.
witchyonadiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 11:10 AM   #4  
Tate the Great

Height: 5'2

Talking Talk Therapy

Hi there Optical!
I've been diagnosed with major depressive episode reoccuring w/an anxiety disorder, I have been taking medication and going to therapy for awhile. I enjoy going to therapy, even though it is usually emotionally draining. It helps me to process things more rationally and to put things into perspective. It's nice to have someone who you can simply vent/rant at, without judgement or worrying about hurting their feelings. If you do choose to go to talk therapy, it is VERY important to make sure that you feel extremely safe, secure, and at ease with your therapist. The therapist should want only the best for you, should not try to make you do or talk about something that you can't or are unwilling to do so at this time. If you are matched with a therapist but do not feel comfortable with them or your relationship just doesn't click, do NOT be afraid of changing therapists until you find one that you feel is the right fit--that is your right as the patient.
Bottom Line: I believe in talk therapy for those who need someone to share their hurts and problems with and for those who are willing to do the work (sometimes) necessary to help themselves identify faulty thinking patterns. Best of luck to you!
~Lauryn
MorningJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 01:08 PM   #5  

I found it utterly useless, I'm as down now as I was then

Emily
xxx
CousinRockingChair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 02:40 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 233/198/133

Height: 5'3"

I've been on meds for depression/anxiety for many years. About a year ago I started seeing a physcologist who does 'Cognitive Behavior Therepy'. Although I am in a slump right now, I totally believe it has helped me a lot. As Lauryn suggested, shop around. It took me three physcologist before I felt comfortable talking with this one. Good luck,
settie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 08:32 PM   #7  

Hey Emily,

I'm not well right now either. Been weighing my options. Hang in there - hope you have someone to talk to.

Hugs

Nancy

Last edited by witchyonadiet; 10-25-2007 at 08:33 PM.
witchyonadiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 09:13 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 220/194/150

Height: 5'7

Thank you all for your input. I think therapy will be good for me being that I don't have a support system since I moved here, no girlfriends or anything like that. my husband is around but he's studying for the hardest test of his career ( which he takes in December ), so he's there, but he's not...kwim? I'm kinda down today, mainly beacuse of the above reasons... I need to see what my insurance pays for in therapy, and go from there. i think it's worth a try.
Optical Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 12:03 PM   #9  

I have bipolar 2 as well and I've been in therapy off and on for years. I think it's an absolute necessity! I take breaks from it when I'm not getting anything out of it but usually it's helpful. A therapist is someone who can help you work through stuff, listen to you and just be present for YOU. Unlike family or friends, they can listen without prejudice or with out it having to be about how what you do affects them. But finding a therapist is like finding a good pair of jeans: you have try on a bunch of different ones before you find a good match. I am in an online support group for depression and I just posted this list of questions that I always ask a new therapist:

Where they went to school?
What is their area of expertise?
How long have they been practicing?
What do they think of meds? Alternative treatments?
How much do they like to talk in a session? Do they give advice or just sit and listen? (I HATE silent therapist...I can sit and talk to myself at home for free but some people like that.)
How do they respond in a crisis? How soon do they return phone calls?
How available are they on weekends and holidays?
Do they have experience/background with issues facing black people? Racism?
Do they have a sliding scale fee?
What is their cancellation policy?
When do they go on vacation?
Are they religious or are they comfortable discussing religious concerns?
What is their position on lesbian and gay people?
What is their basic theraputic approach? Do they use any techniques, exercises, methods that will affect or further my progress?
soulnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 01:25 PM   #10  
Pudgy Mommy

S/C/G: 234/209/140lbs.

Height: 5ft.2inches

I'm in talk therapy and on meds. I think the therapy is more helpful than the meds, actually. I find that I'm able to work through issues much more carefully, clearly and comfortably with someone who isn't afraid to challenge my past ideas and my sometimes fumbling thinking. He is uplifting, inspiring, reassuring and gentle. I agree with the previous poster that it is essential to find the "right" therapist for you. I have gone through a few of them and didn't make progress until I found the one I clicked with. Good luck to you...this can change your life forever.
Miette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 12:54 PM   #11  
Future Wonder Woman

S/C/G: 248/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

I've been in talk therapy for about 20 years, so obviously I am a believer in it. I also take meds, the combination of both therapies really works for me. I like talk therapy because I get an objective opinion about things. In my case, I bring up the topic for the session and we talk back and forth about it. It's a reality check, because sometimes my thinking gets waaaaay out of whack. I like soulnik's idea of bringing a list of questions for the therapist...it is really important to get someone you feel comfortable with. My brother talked my sister into going to therapy, she went one session and decided it wasn't for her...she probably didn't like the therapist but judged therapy based on that experience.

I went through a cognitive therapy day program and found it invaluable. It gave me tools to deal with my mental illnesses. You might read up on that and see if it is something you are interested in, you might like it. Good luck!
trooworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 05:44 PM   #12  

It has been proven through research time and time again that the best treatment for bipolar is a combination of medication and talk therapy.

I love my therapist (ok maybe not like THAT but you get my point)
tasche13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 06:22 PM   #13  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

I completely believe in therapy (but I have my master's degree in psych, so I'm very biased). I've given therapy, and I've gotten therapy, and I believe it can be wonderful. It can also be a giant waste of time - if you don't like and respect your therapist. So I do strongly agree that if you don't "click" with a new therapist, give it a little time to build the relationship, but if you just don't warm up to the person (even if it seems like a silly reason, such as the sound of their voice just bugging the heck out of you) then look for somebody else.

When I was applying for disability I had to have psych evals and counseling, and one guy just bugged the heck out of me because he kept comparing people to houseplants. I was stuck with him, because I was there for the evaluation not the counseling, but you can bet I didn't seek counseling with him. I also switched counselors when the counselor I was assigned was straight out of graduate school. She was so young, and so inexperienced, that I felt like I needed to counsel her on how to counsel me. And it wasn't just because I had the same degree and more experience. I'm not sure anyone over 35 would have felt comfortable with her, because she had the misfortune to look about 12 years old - seriously she did not look like she could possibly be out of high school. Even though I knew she might have a lot of skill, I just couldn't get into a mindset where I would respect her advice or even consider her someone I would personally confide in.

The relationship is very important, because if you don't respect or trust your counselor, it's really virtually impossible to get anything out of the experience.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 10:02 AM   #14  
Fun and Fantastic!

S/C/G: 264/256.4/140

Well, here is my first post.
I am a therapist and I also have had problems with depression myself. I'm going to give you information based on the research. . .
Medication does help manage symptoms more quickly. Therapy takes longer, but is more durable. The combination of medication and therapy is the fastest most durable treatment of emotional/mental disorders.

It really is just common sense. If you are depressed, stressed, manic, etc., the medication can jump start you in the right direction. Talk therapy gets to the root of the problem.

You need to have a good trusting relationship with your therapist. And you have to be prepared to go through some emotional pain before you start feeling better. The stuff that has bogged you down has to be dug back up before you can get rid of it.

Be aware (and I'm sure you are), the medication can impact your weight. You have to be extra vigilant about the weight if you choose medication. DON'T refuse medication because you might have a harder time losing weight. You want to be a whole TOTAL person, not a skinny one all depressed or moody or angry or whatever.

So, how'd I do for a first post? I'm looking forward to becoming half the woman I am with you guys.

Last edited by PsychoMom; 11-03-2007 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Wanted to add the last sentence. Seemed important to me.
PsychoMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 06:26 PM   #15  
Sandra

S/C/G: 230/195.0/145

I can't say it any better than these ladies have already said it.... The combination of meds AND therapy is the way to go! I was going to stress the importance of finding a good therapist that you are comfortable with as well. Don't feel bad about "dumping" one to find another... any good therapist won't take it personally as the whole point is for you... the client... to feel better even if that means going to someone else.
Good luck hun!!
OneLastTime is offline   Reply With Quote