Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 12-23-2007, 04:13 AM   #1  
Wannabe Health Nut!

S/C/G: 228/ticker/128

Height: 5"4

Question Do you feel depression affects your intelligence?

Does anyone ever feel depression/stress affects your intelligence (or outward projection of it, rather) for the worse?

I've been under major feelings of stress for the past several months and I feel like it's made me look like an idiot. My mind is just so preoccupied with things that my ability to concentrate has gone down the tube. I'll find myself looking for the most simple words, or pausing when a question is asked. I also feel distracted and my memory is completely shot.

All through school I was in GT and AP level classes, so I'm not a complete moron, but lately I feel like I am. People at work have taken to looking at me like I'm a dumb blonde and just seem to find me laughable. Nothing I ever say is ever funny or clever, and I'm just dim-witted..

I wouldn't say that I'm depressed now, per-se (I HAVE been in the past so I know when I am, if I am at all, currently, it's at a very LOW level), but more "stressed"..

Does anyone else relate to this, and can I blame it on the stress/concerns?
LittleMissMotivation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 09:05 AM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Well girlie.... I would suggest talking to your doctor and seeing what he/she says. Please don't self-diagnose yourself...that can be stressful in itself.

I do the same thing (I have adhd) my brain jumps ahead of itself and I find myself lost for words. I know what I want to say, I just can't say it, or say it in a way that makes sense...probably like my posts

I can not give you a diagnosis either..... but the best thing you can do for yourself in 2008 is make an appt with your doc and stop trying to guess. I know it will help.

Hugs and kisses to you darling....... Your so pretty, thats a great avatar.

Leenie

Last edited by Leenie; 12-23-2007 at 09:06 AM. Reason: Forgot to spell check oy vey....
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 04:53 PM   #3  

Hi!

Seeing a doctor is a good idea but aside from that, is it possible your view of yourself might be inaccurate? I mean, are people really judging you poorly because of this or could it be just the way you are seeing it? Depression doesn't render one stupid, and I've no doubt you are a very intelligent person. Depression often can put one "on guard" so that you come away thinking "Gosh Why did I say that?" Or "what's wrong with me, I should have said this or that!" You end up with a subconscious tally of these things. Stress can do the same things. You aren't your "best self" because you're not fully in the moment or fully able to give your attention to something at hand. Even if you're running what you consider to be a low-grade depression, get that under control as it can wear you down just as much as a full blown depressive episode. Best wishes with this!
RedGlitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 07:02 PM   #4  
Sunshine Seeker

S/C/G: 183/180/140 (want size 8!)

Depression does slow everything down, metabolism, gastrointestinal tract, and the mind. The thoughts are there, just slower to take form. The facts are there, just slower to hone in on the one you are trying to retrieve. The problem solving abilily remains, it just takes more concentration to organize.
BrownEyed Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 10:41 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 212/212/140

Height: 5 2"

hi littlemiss! I understand what you are writing of in your post. I too am not a moron, have attended University and enjoy educational activities, etc. but the stress inhibits me from 'thinking in the moment' - I am so consumed with stress and anxiety that I am unable to focus on what is in front of me, but yet I am focused on my stress! :O does this make sense?

Can I ask your age? I am 38 and have struggled with depression/anxiety for a long time. It has gotten worse as I have gotten older, but I still have a lot of hope. Some of it, I think can be 'confidence related' ? The first moments we notice this happening within ourselves, we then continue to focus on it more and more and it can become worsened. I don't necessarily think you need to see a doctor (that can make it worse sometimes) but try taking a few breaths and doing some self talk and practice with 'forgetting' your stress and 'being in the moment' again. It takes a conscious effort now.

good luck and let us know what is happening.

ps: luvvvvv your valentines challenge. I think I will make one too! <3 hope you don't mind

Luvvvvv.... cutejeans
cutejeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 01:23 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 180/130/130

Height: 5'5

LittleMissMotivation -

I definately notice a differance in how I think/respond when I'm super stressed or feeling down.

However, it sounds as though you might be suffering with low self confidence, as well. Reading your post reminded me of myself. I often worry excessively about what others think and how they see me.

I agree with the above posters - you shouldn't try to self diagnose, and seeing a professional would atleast give you the chance to find out what's really going on. I'm doing the same thing - my first counseling session (albeit over the telephone, since I work/go to school during the day and can't make it to a session that is in person) is on January 2. As emotionally exhausting and painful as I know it's going to be, I'm really looking forward to it.

Best wishes
just_a_dreamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 07:14 AM   #7  
On my way...

Height: 5,4 ft

I think my depression affects my intelligence- or my ability to do something with my mind (anybody know what I mean?).

I have troubles with concentrating and learning stuff and in worst times I feel as if I would walk two steps beside me....And it feels as if my mind would be full of stuff and filled with glue....

And itīs hard to say something clever when your brain goes like "Oh, hopefully I am going to say something clever now. And witty. Oh yes. Hopefully I donīt mess it up like last time. Uh, maybe I look fat in that T- Shirt? Shouldnīt have eaten that for lunch......Mmmh, what was the question?"

Whatī s helpful for me is to relax a bit more, not trying to please and/ or impress people, a organized day schedule and some workout.
Cleverly, I am not doing anything of the things mentioned above at the moment...Thatīs why I am (and my post) are so messed up!
Kate109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 12:56 PM   #8  

Thumbs up

Whatī s helpful for me is to relax a bit more, not trying to please and/ or impress people, a organized day schedule and some workout.
Cleverly, I am not doing anything of the things mentioned above at the moment...Thatīs why I am (and my post) are so messed up!

Kate
, those are great suggestions! Now to just try and remember them in the midst of the panic
Old 01-02-2008, 03:22 PM   #9  

Sometimes depression like symptoms and clouded thinking is a result of chemical sweetners like asparatame (Equal). It is the absolute worst thing on the market and there are dozens of sites showing a hundred or symptoms of their use. Try go more natural with sweeteners like stevia for a week or two and see what happens.
scorpiochic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 06:05 PM   #10  
Wannabe Health Nut!

Talking

That's interesting.. I just started using artificial sweetners, so I don't think that's my problem.. I was going through a LOT of stress.. I HAVE been thinking about getting some stevia though or agave as I hear they metabolize a lot better with less side effects. (wannabe vegan but not motivated enough yet) For now, I only have my chlorinated-modified sugar (Splenda) in my coffee which is infrequent. At MOST ever 3 cups a day and usually none. (trying to stay off caffeine since it made me TIRED and NAUSEAS!)
Old 01-03-2008, 11:49 AM   #11  
On my way...

Height: 5,4 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_a_dreamy1 View Post

Kate
, those are great suggestions! Now to just try and remember them in the midst of the panic
Maybe tatooing (is that they right word?) them on the palm of the hand could be a nice reminder....
Kate109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 01:03 PM   #12  

Talking

Kate -

There's an idea... But if I started there, then I would have to add all of the other things that I have to remember...and once the tatoos started crawling up my arms, I would end up looking like someone who spent too much time in a prison

Then I'd forget that it was on my palm!
Old 01-03-2008, 01:20 PM   #13  
Wannabe Health Nut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_a_dreamy1 View Post
Kate -

There's an idea... But if I started there, then I would have to add all of the other things that I have to remember...and once the tatoos started crawling up my arms, I would end up looking like someone who spent too much time in a prison

Then I'd forget that it was on my palm!
And end up looking like that guy in 'Memento'!
Old 01-03-2008, 01:41 PM   #14  

hehe